Taking An Oceania Plunge---First Timers

kitty9

Well, my sister and I are finally taking the plunge and booked our first Oceania Riviera cruise for January. We are so looking forward to it. We've cruised Crystal and Celebrity mostly, so this will be a new experience for us.

We went whole hog on this, and booked an Owner's Suite. Can't wait to see what looks to be a fantastic suite.

I know I'll have a few questions as time goes by, but right now, we're just counting the days.

I haven't been in an Owner's Suite on the new ships (Marina and Riviera) but I have been in Marina's VS and OC suites ... the photos of the Owner's Suite look incredible! I'm sure you'll have a great time.

(Some people, when booking the first time, aim lower down! :D)

I was in an Owner's Suite once on Regatta years ago and it was wonderful, but the OS on an "R" ship is smaller than the OC or VS on Marina/Regatta. And definitely smaller than the Owner's Suite on the new ships/

I know that as questions arise, we'll all be happy to answer! Have a wonderful cruise, I'm sure you will.

Mura

We were in the Owners Suite on Riviera (Deck 8) on our April trans-Atlantic cruise.

It is amazing -- huge with lovely entrance hall complete with player baby grand piano. Very comfortable sitting/dining room with table that seats 6 easily (we had friends in for dinner one night...) Lovely bedroom with a real king size bed. Two bathrooms one of which was larger than some cabins on board I think. Huge shower, jacuzzi, loo and twin sinks with oodles of storage. the other smaller but with shower, loo and sink. (Guess who had which??) TWO walk in closets so no fighting over those. And a nice terrace which did not meet in the middle but which did wrap around the sides with an outside jacuzzi on one side.

We had two butlers - the Head Butler Sandeep who is extraordinary and his assistant. Nothing was too much trouble for them.

Negatives: When the engine was at full speed the bed shook a lot. didn't happen often but one night we were racing north to enable a passenger to be medi-vac to the Azores and it shook all night. The terrace is lovely but needs to be 30cm deeper and there was too much furniture on it. Two people and their occasional guests don't need furniture for 20! It would have seemed more spacious with a few fewer chaise longues etc.

Would we book it again ? Of course we would but it is expensive. We had our 50th Anniversary so that is why we did it. And might do it again for the 60th. In between I think we shall be happy with an Oceania suite or (as in the case of the next cruise) a PH1.

You will love it. Just take a GPS and a cell phone so you can find out where you are in the suite and also call your spouse so they can come and find you!!

The Owner's Suite is truly lovely and luxurious. But as someone mentioned, it has a 'real' king size bed -- other threads on this board suggest that it cannot be separated into two twins. This may be an issue if OP doesn't wish to share a bed with sister :o

If they don't have a sofa bed, how would a daughter traveling with an elderly father do it? Or a mother/son? We've been in similar high end suites on Princess, Crystal, Celebrity, Regent and Silversea, and they all had a sofa bed. When my beloved mom was still walking this earth, we three girls cruised together twice a year, always in the large suites, and there was always a sofa bed for me.

This sucks. We were SO looking forward to trying Oceania. One of the reasons we booked the OS is because I'm disabled, and that suite easily would accommodate my scooter and walker. CRAP!!!!!!

If they don't have a sofa bed, how would a daughter traveling with an elderly father do it? Or a mother/son? We've been in similar high end suites on Princess, Crystal, Celebrity, Regent and Silversea, and they all had a sofa bed. When my beloved mom was still walking this earth, we three girls cruised together twice a year, always in the large suites, and there was always a sofa bed for me.

This sucks. We were SO looking forward to trying Oceania. One of the reasons we booked the OS is because I'm disabled, and that suite easily would accommodate my scooter and walker. CRAP!!!!!!

Before getting your knickers in a knot why not call O and ask if they have a sofa bed or if they can bring in 2 singles for you..it may be more time consuming for them but you are paying for the suite

A rollaway might work as well

If I was paying big $$ I certainly would be asking for what I want/need

just saying

There is a huge sofa in the living room, and I would be surprised if it didn't double as a bed. It also has access to the second bedroom without having to go through the main bedroom. It's very comfortable - DH was known to doze off many times after a busy day!

There is a huge sofa in the living room, and I would be surprised if it didn't double as a bed. It also has access to the second bedroom without having to go through the main bedroom. It's very comfortable - DH was known to doze off many times after a busy day!

2nd bedroom?:confused:

Before getting your knickers in a knot why not call O and ask if they have a sofa bed or if they can bring in 2 singles for you..it may be more time consuming for them but you are paying for the suite

A rollaway might work as well

If I was paying big $$ I certainly would be asking for what I want/need

just saying

Not getting undies in a bunch. I called O and they said no sofa bed in the suite. They won't confirm a rollaway

Darcie,

I believe most people have better luck in asking for these things on board rather than through Customer Service in Florida. I remember someone posting a photo some time ago showing the couple's son sleeping in a rollaway bed in the media room in an Oceania Suite. Yes, they do suggest making these requests in advance but even so, you may have better luck when you are actually in your suite.

It's hard to believe they can't manage a sofa bed in an OS when they have them in lower level cabins!

Mura

Hi Mura ! YEAH, we got it all set up. Can't wait for this cruise !!!! We've wanted to try Oceania for a long time, and now it's happening.

I have a question: When can I book the specialty restaurants? I went to my booking, and all they allowed was LaReserve,which I booked for the second night. We'd like to try all the specialties like Jacques, Toscana and the Polo Grill, but it doesn't appear on my page for booking.

Leejnd4, we're on January 23. Sorry, I'd love to cruise with you.

Edited by kitty9

Booking the specialties has a specific time frame. If you're in the OS you are first up. Sign in at "already booked" and you should have no problem getting a table. If you want to join others (that you don't know), say "share". If you don't, or you want to add others LATER then say no.

I know someone else will chime in with the specific time frame. I'm thinking that the top suites are 60 days out but someone will be quick to correct me if I am wrong.

Don't forget that you can order in from the specialty restaurants and be served in your suite. That's especially welcome on busy tour days and doesn't require advance reservations. Your suite will have menus for all the restaurants -- look in the bar area.

ALSO, use your butler for extra reservations if you want them. They can work wonders.

Mura

Hi Mura ! YEAH, we got it all set up. Can't wait for this cruise !!!! We've wanted to try Oceania for a long time, and now it's happening.

I have a question: When can I book the specialty restaurants? I went to my booking, and all they allowed was LaReserve,which I booked for the second night. We'd like to try all the specialties like Jacques, Toscana and the Polo Grill, but it doesn't appear on my page for booking.

Darcie

We are booked in an Oceania Suite on Riviera leaving Dec 2/15. We were able to book all of our Specialty restaurants on Aug 30th. I believe Owner's, Vista and Oceania Suites can all book 90 days out. If you sign in to "my account" click on the "booked cruises" link, and then "manage booking", you should see a tab for "dining". Specialty Restaurants, La Reserve and Privee are shown. If you only see La Reserve as your option, I would call in to Oceania to book the specialty restaurants, as you are well within your 90 day booking period.

Randy

Edited by Schmoe38

In your booking on the web site they should give you the first date that you can book and the number that you can book in advance. :):):)