Good One Way Fare EWR-DFW??

robin13

I am needing to buy a one way flight from EWR-DFW for 5/1/16. I have never flown out of EWR (never even been there) so I have no idea what a good one way fare would be. Currently AA has them at $226 but that seems pretty high to me so I thought that I would ask and see what everyone else thought.

I am needing to buy a one way flight from EWR-DFW for 5/1/16. I have never flown out of EWR (never even been there) so I have no idea what a good one way fare would be. Currently AA has them at $226 but that seems pretty high to me so I thought that I would ask and see what everyone else thought.

I can see $94 - $150 one way from La Guardia; you can shuttle to LGA from EWR for around $30, but lots of hassle.

I could have gotten a $93 fare from JFK but it was going to cost me over $100 to go from Cape Liberty to JFK. I am traveling solo so I didn't have anyone to share the car. Plus the flight wasn't until 2:30pm and I really wanted to leave late morning. I will keep scoping out the fare and hope that it will go down.

I could have gotten a $93 fare from JFK but it was going to cost me over $100 to go from Cape Liberty to JFK. I am traveling solo so I didn't have anyone to share the car. Plus the flight wasn't until 2:30pm and I really wanted to leave late morning. I will keep scoping out the fare and hope that it will go down.

Without wanting to sound as if money doesn't matter, the fare you are looking at is not that expensive. If it goes down 15% you will 'only' save $33, but the downside is that there is a very real possibility that the fare will increase. In your shoes, I would book it now, knowing that the amount that I could be out of pocket is not really that great.

And what is your plan if the fare goes UP instead of down? The current fare seems very reasonable to me, given that it is 1) nonstop and 2) apparently has the departure time you desire

And what is your plan if the fare goes UP instead of down? The current fare seems very reasonable to me, given that it is 1) nonstop and 2) apparently has the departure time you desire

I do have Capital One points that I can use if the price goes up. Since I have never flown from EWR before I didn't know if the $226 one way fare was a good one or not. Most of you think it is average so I might wait a little longer and see what happens.

I do have Capital One points that I can use if the price goes up. Since I have never flown from EWR before I didn't know if the $226 one way fare was a good one or not. Most of you think it is average so I might wait a little longer and see what happens.

Which is the same as money, in that you get a fixed amount per CapOne pont. You are still going to pay more, just from a mixed source. People tend to forget that miles/points are nothing more than an alternative currency. Some, like CapOne, are at a fixed exchange rate. Others at a more variable one, depending on their use.

Thought experiment. Take all your CapOne points, exchange for dollars and put in a bank account. Now, if the price goes up would you still say "If the price goes up, I can just pay the difference out of my bank account"?? I'll bet the answer is "NO, I'd just be paying more money".

And if you think those points are "free", think again. There is the opportunity cost that you paid by putting the spend on CapOne, rather than getting some other points or...gasp...actual cash rebate.

TANSTAAFL

I'd just like to put your concerns about airfare into perspective. In January I'm flying out of LHR and returning 3 weeks later. Valet parking will cost me $195 so worrying about $ 30 on an airfare is peanuts.

I would NEVER use points on a $200 domestic fare. Save them for a nice biz/first class international trip. Taking a trip to Sydney, Tokyo or Hong Kong and sitting up front getting there, sounds much better than wasting them on a trip to Newark in coach. (or first for that matter) :eek:

Edited by TruckerDave