Interior Cabin for 4

RobinKY

Our family is two adults and two kids (13 & 11). We are pretty cramped in an interior cabin but not the end of the world. What is everyone's thoughts on splitting up into two cabins as far as cost?

I price tested both ways on HAL site and it was actually cheaper to do 2 cabins. NCL it seemed a little cheaper to do only 1 but not significantly.

Our family is two adults and two kids (13 & 11). We are pretty cramped in an interior cabin but not the end of the world. What is everyone's thoughts on splitting up into two cabins as far as cost?

I price tested both ways on HAL site and it was actually cheaper to do 2 cabins. NCL it seemed a little cheaper to do only 1 but not significantly.

You're right it will be very cramped...but you know better than anyone how this will work for your family...Of course two connecting cabins would work best for all of you... Have you looked at any other cruiselines? Compare them all, a bit of work but well worth the effort..Take "everything" into consideration not just the bottom dollar.....We prefer RCI. Best of luck...I know you'll have an amazing cruise.

Have you looked at any other cruiselines? Compare them all, a bit of work but well worth the effort..Take "everything" into consideration not just the bottom dollar.....We prefer RCI. Best of luck...I know you'll have an amazing cruise.

The research and working with the nuances of each line's webpage is overwhelming. I am just getting another cruise bug in my system and trying to see if a holiday cruise will work (late December).

So far my results are:

CCL interior rooms sold out so the OV rooms are a little higher than below. Not significantly higher.

NCL never been on NCL. It appears 2 separate interior rooms are slightly higher but would definitely pay for the extra space.

HAL never been on HAL. It appears 2 interior rooms are about $1,000 cheaper than doing 1 interior room with 4 people. Not sure if something is quirky there or larger interior rooms are just that more expensive.

Edit: Also note that if we do two rooms, only one of us will have to purchase the alcohol package so that will save us more money getting two rooms. If we do one room, both of us will have to purchase it. HAL limits their alcohol package to 15 and not sure if NCL does (still researching that).

Edited by RobinKY

Edit: Also note that if we do two rooms, only one of us will have to purchase the alcohol package so that will save us more money getting two rooms. If we do one room, both of us will have to purchase it. HAL limits their alcohol package to 15 and not sure if NCL does (still researching that).

We sail NCL and there is no limit to the number of drinks included with the Ultimate Drink Package, if that's what you're asking. You can get any drink with a cost of up to $15, with the exception of specialty coffees, bottled waters and buckets of beer. Those are not included. Most drinks are all under $15. If a drink is over that amount, you pay the cost difference (if a drink is $16.50, you pay the $1.50).

Check out RC. There are a lot of different drink packages, both with and without alcohol. You can also go with no package and purchase what you want, along with included free drinks. You don't all have to have the same package, or any package. I think the kids would enjoy Voyager, Freedom or Oasis class ships. There are numerous cabin combinations too. Family cabins can accommodate 5 people, but you have to call RC for information on those. They will sell to a family of 4 if available; sometimes one cabin or two, depending cabins and sales, may be cost effective - just depends. Recommend calling and asking.

On NCL not only will both of you have to purchase the beverage package but your kids will have to purchase a soda package as well unless you or your TA manage to book two minors in a separate cabin under a totally separate booking. (And I will give you the benefit of the doubt that the reason you do not want to both have to purchase a drink package is that only one of you actually drinks ;))

Sounds like you're doing a great job in your research...I know how much work it can be...but the rewards are an amazing family cruise...and the memories you'll all have.

Just my opinion (and many on these boards actually) HAL may not be the best option for a young family with children...;)

So please take that into consideration...look very closely at one of the RCI ships especially the Freedom class ships....As I said be very careful not to base it entirely on the price....but what you're getting in the long run.

Again best of luck.

If you're interested in the beverage package wait until you board they do offer specials...and it may really end up not being necessary...and not all of you have to purchase it..it's not based on cabin occupants

Edited by Ashland

I am shocked that 2 cabins with 2 people each cost less than 1 cabin with 4 people in it. Is there a catch? This just does not seem possible.

Also 15 drinks in a day whether drank by one or two parents traveling with 11 and 13 year olds certainly seems like more than plenty.

Edited by Karysa

with older kids no way in you know where would I do 4 in an interior unless it was a family interior.

I am shocked that 2 cabins with 2 people each cost less than 1 cabin with 4 people in it. Is there a catch? This just does not seem possible.

Also 15 drinks in a day whether drank by one or two parents traveling with 11 and 13 year olds certainly seems like more than plenty.

drink packages MAY NOT be shared. so the person who buys it is the only one who will bear drinking from it.

the OP does not have Royal listed.. Royal does NOT make everyone in the cabin buy a package any longer. they also have family staterooms in pretty much every category theater indeed much more roomy than a standard cabin.

have you also looked at a balcony for yourselves and an interior for the kids? that too may not be cost prohibitive.

Does a family interior have 2 distinct sleeping areas or just more room?

depends on how the cabin is laid out. some indeed do have a private bedroom with the other two berths being a pull out couch or pullmans

some cabins have bunk beds in one bedroom and the normal 2 standard beds in the main cabin or a second bedroom with a main living area

stil others are just bigger cabins with the standard 2 beds with 2 pullmans above them.

you basicaly have to look at each cabin's configuration on the website..

drink packages MAY NOT be shared. so the person who buys it is the only one who will bear drinking from it.

the OP does not have Royal listed.. Royal does NOT make everyone in the cabin buy a package any longer. they also have family staterooms in pretty much every category theater indeed much more roomy than a standard cabin.

have you also looked at a balcony for yourselves and an interior for the kids? that too may not be cost prohibitive.

Honestly, in my head the sharing of the drink package was the least of my worries. The thinking that 15 drinks per day, even between 2 people who are responsible for and the role models for an 11 year old and a 13 year old who are travelling with them was what worried me.

Edited by Karysa

When our kids were younger we did 4 to a room. When they were about your kids ages we started doing 2 rooms and have been doing so ever since. Love the extra space and price for sometimes less but usually just a little more than a single room for 4. We have done side by side insides, connecting balconies, and an inside with a balcony across the hall. All have worked great for us over the years.

Honestly, in my head the sharing of the drink package was the least of my worries. The thinking that 15 drinks per day, even between 2 people who are responsible for and the role models for an 11 year old and a 13 year old who are travelling with them was what worried me.

Not too judgmental are we? Since you are mentioning their parenting, perhaps we should ask about their finances and home life? And why would it "worry" you? They are looking for information on booking a family cruise, not a discussion about parenting.:mad:

Not too judgmental are we? Since you are mentioning their parenting, perhaps we should ask about their finances and home life? And why would it "worry" you? They are looking for information on booking a family cruise, not a discussion about parenting.:mad:

I was expecting this. :D

depends on how the cabin is laid out. some indeed do have a private bedroom with the other two berths being a pull out couch or pullmans

some cabins have bunk beds in one bedroom and the normal 2 standard beds in the main cabin or a second bedroom with a main living area

stil others are just bigger cabins with the standard 2 beds with 2 pullmans above them.

you basicaly have to look at each cabin's configuration on the website..

Very good information to have. If you preferred inside cabins for the darkness ;) could you book a family cabin with two beds and the other two as Pullmans or a pull out couch.? I realize the cost would probably be the same as an ocean view for the couple.

Edited by Karysa

and some drink packages also include NON alcoholic options such as bottled water and specialty coffees and all the virgin cocktails you want. so to assume that even one adult is just going to drink booze all day is rather presumptuous

and some drink packages also include NON alcoholic options such as bottled water and specialty coffees and all the virgin cocktails you want. so to assume that even one adult is just going to drink booze all day is rather presumptuous

Thank you. Never thought of that. That is good information especially if someone wants to get 2 insides for their family and share 1 beverage plan. A non - alcoholic piña colada or 2 a day should keep kids from squealing on their folks.:D

Thank you. Never thought of that. That is good information especially if someone wants to get 2 insides for their family and share 1 beverage plan. A non - alcoholic piña colada or 2 a day should keep kids from squealing on their folks.:D

It has been pointed out ...... You cannot share beverage packages.