Dress code on Ruby

ametrinel

How formal do people dress on formal nights (headed for Alaska in 2016)? I know what Princess recommends, but on other cruise lines they recommend tuxes, gowns, etc., but people don't really wear that. Just trying to figure out what to pack. Thanks!

The vast majority of passengers respect the cruise line dress request. You won't be turned away if dressed more informally but you could be in a very small minority. On my cruises, wherever they sail, I rarely see gentlemen in the dining room not dressed in at least suits and the women in dresses or pants and sparkling tops or similar.

Men wear sport jackets. Some men do not even wear a tie. A nice pantsuit or dressy shirt or sweater or a dress is ok for women. Last cruise to Southern Caribbean we rarely saw tuxes or gowns.

Same as above on our 14 day Ruby this past January.

LuLu

As stated above, you likely won't be turned away but I have to concur that, even though I have only cruised 6 times so far, all have been on Princess and on every cruise the majority of men have been in dark suits. Some will be in full dinner dress but most have been in suits.

Princess is your host and, in my world, it is always best to abide by the suggestions of your host.

Do what you want. There will always be a vocal group here insisting that it's their cruise, they paid for it, and they can darn well do what they like. Whatever. The reality is that the vast majority of people honor the suggested dress code on formal nights regardless of itinerary.

As stated above, you likely won't be turned away but I have to concur that, even though I have only cruised 6 times so far, all have been on Princess and on every cruise the majority of men have been in dark suits. Some will be in full dinner dress but most have been in suits.

Princess is your host and, in my world, it is always best to abide by the suggestions of your host.

Do what you want. There will always be a vocal group here insisting that it's their cruise, they paid for it, and they can darn well do what they like. Whatever. The reality is that the vast majority of people honor the suggested dress code on formal nights regardless of itinerary.

I have been on a few more cruises than Thrak has, but my experience is the same. What he says here is true, and I'm sure those folk he mentions in his last paragraph will be along soon to say otherwise.

I'm with Husky, although I have worn ties up until now (might/might not next week - will bring one at least). Princess' clothing descriptions are suggestions/recommendations. If your jacket is lighter or medium in color, it's going to be perfectly acceptable (makes sense for Caribbean, but Thrak is probably right that most are dark ... I'm going to pay more attention in my Regal cruises just around the corner).

I see you mentioned Alaska. Cruisers have reported plenty of jeans on smart casual nights up that way. Me, I'd never have jeans in the Caribbean. I would probably not elect blue jeans for dinner, unless it was in vogue.

IDK why the poster two up reported seeing people turned away in jeans on smart casual .. they may have been raggedy. If you have read many threads on this topic, plenty of cruisers report wearing dressy jeans is fine. I just don't take them on warm weather cruises at all.

Edited by steelers36

"Jeans" can cover a wide range of pants. I usually don't bring jeans on a cruise because they tend to be for cooler weather as far as I'm concerned. Might wear them during the day for an Alaskan cruise or for sea days on Hawaiian cruises. On our last cruise, I did bring a pair of black skinny jeans that actually looked nice on me and paired it with a nice top for smart casual nights. I wouldn't wear denim blue jeans for a nice restaurant and that would be my measure for a dinner on a MDR on a cruise.

My hubby doesn't have a dark suit jacket, but wears his sports jacket (he had brought it for promotional interviews at work so it should be concerned on the dressy side) along with a dress shirt, tie and nice slacks. I'll wear a LBD, cocktail length dress, or a silky one piece pants suit. I don't do glittery gowns.

If we didn't feel like dressing up on a formal night, we would just go to the Horizon, no problem.

On formal nights you will find about 20% of men in tux, most others will be suit and tie or sport coat and tie. Only 5% or less will be without a tie. Women are in dresses or nice outfits. Shorts are not permitted in the DR for dinner any evening. This dress is for the DR's at dinner only.

Surcharge restaurants are smart casual every evening. While most passengers stay in their dinner dress throughout the evening, the dress code for other parts of the ship is casual all the time.

Yeah.. I forgot to mention what SKNIGHT said. I might go with wife to a show first right after dinner (we do early), but I'm out of my dress clothes soon after dinner - not cause I can't stand it, rather to preserve their freshness to be worn next formal night as I am definitely not bringing multiple "formal" dress outfits.

One thing at least is that they have pretty much banned smoking on formal nights and the worst thing is to get my clothes smoky.

So, no worries about changing back to something less formal after dining.

We like to do CG on last night, so have not skipped a formal dinner, but we have talked about trying out the Regal buffet one evening as many posters have been highly complimentary and of course that one is casual for sure. It seems like the formal night MDR food doesn't quite rise to the occasion any longer.

BTW, some folks like to stay formal all night, I've been at the poker table in shorts and tee with a gentleman in black tie. Thought I was playing against James Bond - LOL. (He was a great guy and would love to run into him again).

Edited by steelers36

On formal nights I wear nice pants, long sleeve shirt and a tie and have never been turned away on the ships I have been on. I even wear black atheletic shoes. As has been said Princess is the yost so wear what they allow and not worry about anyone else.

Thrak stated the current situation pretty accurately.

I would only add that long formal gowns on women seem to be becoming more rare, even more than tuxedos for men. Black dresses (long or short), some with glitzy tops appear to be more the norm for women along with suits for men.

Most will wear their fancy attire all evening, not just to dinner.

I've never seen anyone turned away from the MDR, but I think smart casual even for formal nights appears to work. If you have dockers and golf shirt, they won't turn you away. Dresses, skirts, long, short all work. Just no jeans, shorts, and jimmy buffet attire on formal nights, unless you want the Horizon buffet.

We (our family) enjoy dressing up, and on a daily basis we "get pretty" for dinner. The kids enjoy it and it makes for nice random photos.

Not everyone likes to dress up, and it's not necessary if you don't want to. It all works out, there is always a venue to eat at, no matter how you are dressed, bathing suit, to formal :)

I have found on the Alaska itineraries it is less formal.

And on my Alaskan voyages, I have never noticed an increase in casual dressers. Everyone seems to be wearing the same suits and ties and bling that I see on cruises on other itineraries.

I have found on the Alaska itineraries it is less formal. When choosing between warm clothes and suits, the warm clothes seem it win out. :D
Certainly during the day when one is out and about, informality and layered warmth is the norm.

However, keep in mind that the inside of the ship is climate controlled, so unless you are on deck or right by a door to the outside, the temperatures inside the ship are about the same as they are in the Caribbean ... or anywhere else.

As to that vocal group...."Lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig".