No smart casual nights?

tingyyy

Hello all,

Just got off the Explorer at Singapore this morning (11 night cruise from Dubai).

Prior to the cruise I had read on RCI's website and elsewhere on the forum that there would be a mix of casual, smart casual and formal nights so I was a bit surprised (and pleased - since I am in the camp that prefers to dress casually on vacations) to find that there were zero smart casual nights. 2 nights were formal and the rest were casual. Well they did have a 'tropical' night when we were at / near India, which sounds casual enough to me.

So this is just out of curiosity - does RCI do away with smart casual nights entirely on certain specific itineraries? And has anyone experienced other voyages on which there were no smart casual nights? I am wondering if the fact that our entire itinerary was in the 'eternal summer' south and south east asia has got anything to do with it.

Not sure what nights are designated as "smart casual" as it's been a few years since I've sailed RCCL.

But, I have noticed that their cruises have become much more casual overall. I suspect it will be even more evident on my upcoming December Anthem cruise.

This is a trend across all of the ships/cruise lines I've sailed over the past 5 years or so, though....things are much more casual.

Hello all,

Just got off the Explorer at Singapore this morning (11 night cruise from Dubai).

Prior to the cruise I had read on RCI's website and elsewhere on the forum that there would be a mix of casual, smart casual and formal nights so I was a bit surprised (and pleased - since I am in the camp that prefers to dress casually on vacations) to find that there were zero smart casual nights. 2 nights were formal and the rest were casual. Well they did have a 'tropical' night when we were at / near India, which sounds casual enough to me.

So this is just out of curiosity - does RCI do away with smart casual nights entirely on certain specific itineraries? And has anyone experienced other voyages on which there were no smart casual nights? I am wondering if the fact that our entire itinerary was in the 'eternal summer' south and south east asia has got anything to do with it.

What in all honesty is the difference between casual and smart casual? Formal is formal, and even for that there are various interpretations -- eg- not every man will wear a tux, nor every lady an evening gown. From my POV, every night that is not formal night is smart casual.

As long as shorts, bathing suits , pool flipflops are not encouraged.....what is is casual vs smart casual differences for dinner designation?

Edited by Paulette3028

There has been no "smart casual" evenings in a loooong time...even on the last cruise we took where there WAS a "smart casual" night, it was really no different than casual...few jackets on men. I find that most women are "smartly dressed" every night...so for us ladies, it's a non-issue!

.....what is is casual vs smart casual differences for dinner designation?

Your biggest difference would be in the men

casual-jeans and a collared shirt

smart casual- dress slacks and a button down (no tie or jackets)

women casual- pants & nice shirt or casual dress (sundress)

smart casual - dress (like you would wear to church or the office not a cocktail dress)

Generally smart casual is office attire (but not casual Friday)

Your biggest difference would be in the men

casual-jeans and a collared shirt

smart casual- dress slacks and a button down (no tie or jackets)

women casual- pants & nice shirt or casual dress (sundress)

smart casual - dress (like you would wear to church or the office not a cocktail dress)

Generally smart casual is office attire (but not casual Friday)

All the descriptions you list fit for casual in my mind....no definitive difference between smart casual and casual. Office attire (for women especially) has deteriorated IMO. Even what people wear to synagogue or church as taken a little hit, again IMO.

I am fine with it, BTW.

All the descriptions you list fit for casual in my mind....no definitive difference between smart casual and casual. Office attire (for women especially) has deteriorated IMO. Even what people wear to synagogue or church as taken a little hit, again IMO.

I would agree. Our last cruise one couple at our table wore jeans and t-shirts (with printing on the front) to dinner for casual and both wore jeans and a nicer than their t-shirt shirt for formal night. I don't mind casual but I do believe that a t-shirt in the dining room needs to go.

I would agree. Our last cruise one couple at our table wore jeans and t-shirts (with printing on the front) to dinner for casual and both wore jeans and a nicer than their t-shirt shirt for formal night. I don't mind casual but I do believe that a t-shirt in the dining room needs to go.

I would agree with you.....but alas, it also is their vacation, and who knows how much they need to 'dress up' for work.

Smart casual is a mere "thing" and if they announce it you rarely see anyone doing it these days.

We had smart casual years ago on Grandeur; I showed up wearing a Hawaiian shirt and slacks, no big deal, everyone else did the same except for a few wearing jackets - and I mean like, four men.

I didn't save the Compasses from the Serenade cruise we just took, but my recollection is that the smart casual request survives in Chops and Giovanni's Table, no matter the attire the rest of the time (and we seldom saw a jacket other than on formal nights). The only time in the past couple of years that I've seen smart casual as suggested attire for the entire ship was in Europe last year. But DH didn't bring a jacket, so he went with a long sleeved shirt, no tie and either black or khaki slacks.

Not sure what nights are designated as "smart casual" as it's been a few years since I've sailed RCCL.

But, I have noticed that their cruises have become much more casual overall. I suspect it will be even more evident on my upcoming December Anthem cruise.

This is a trend across all of the ships/cruise lines I've sailed over the past 5 years or so, though....things are much more casual.

Just an FYI....we sailed Oasis the week before Christmas and it seemed as though 75% of the people participated in formal night. Frankly, I was surprised since it was a Caribbean cruise. Perhaps because it was so close to Christmas that people chose to dress up. You may be surprised when you are on your Anthem cruise.

Just an FYI....we sailed Oasis the week before Christmas and it seemed as though 75% of the people participated in formal night. Frankly, I was surprised since it was a Caribbean cruise. Perhaps because it was so close to Christmas that people chose to dress up. You may be surprised when you are on your Anthem cruise.

I think the demise of formal night, while not like the old days, is greatly exaggerated on these boards. Some day maybe but not quite yet.

Edited by Big_G

When I see a woman dressed up for dinner and her partner in casual clothes it tells me that he has no respect for her and their relationship has sunk to the point where he takes her for granted.

We don't have to dress up very often in life these days. I certainly don't wear a suit to work, but one of the joys of a cruise is having the time to put in a bit of effort so your partner knows you still love her.

Of course if you don't love her then keep wearing the Hawain shirt or Mobil 0-40 T-shirt. Fingers crossed she doesn't leave you a note saying your dinner is in the oven when someone else sweeps her off her feet....

Henry :)

When I see a woman dressed up for dinner and her partner in casual clothes it tells me that he has no respect for her and their relationship has sunk to the point where he takes her for granted.

We don't have to dress up very often in life these days. I certainly don't wear a suit to work, but one of the joys of a cruise is having the time to put in a bit of effort so your partner knows you still love her.

Of course if you don't love her then keep wearing the Hawain shirt or Mobil 0-40 T-shirt. Fingers crossed she doesn't leave you a note saying your dinner is in the oven when someone else sweeps her off her feet....

Wow, I just found out after 42 1/2 years of marriage that my husband doesn't love me! :eek::D:D

Sherri:)

Now that's funny!

I 'sadly' enjoyed reading this post. I can only speak for myself and my DH of 42 1/2 years, when I say the following: we talk about how we want to dress BEFORE we leave on a cruise so that we are dressed appropriately (for the night and EACH OTHER).

Just to add: my DH does have to wear a suit and tie to work each day. If he doesn't want to bring his tux (usually that is so) that is fine...but for formal nights he will still bring a jacket and I will dress to match that type of attire. Women have a much broader array of styles to choose from, that can be mixed and matched to cover lots of different levels of smart casual to dressier, without being in an evening gown.....because I am NOT going to be in an evening gown on a cruise....and we both are dressed nicely each not.

It's been about 3 1/2 years since I've sailed on RCCL (Allure). I was surprised then how few men wore ties or jackets on formal nights. I could count on my fingers the ones who wore tuxes. There were none at our table with tuxes or suits. And the ones I did see wearing tuxes and gowns were getting pictures taken. I'd see them later in the evening in casual clothes.

Most were in nice slacks and button shirts, with the women in sun dresses or nice top and pants.

I expect my upcoming Anthem cruise to be even less formal as that's the way the industry is going, and going quickly. As far as smart casual is concerned, not sure it matters anymore.

Personally, I don't care either way. Dress as you like. If a tux or gown is "your thing", by all means wear one. But, this will be the first cruise I'm on where I'm not bringing a tie.

Edited by graphicguy

Seriously??? :confused:

What in all honesty is the difference between casual and smart casual? Formal is formal, and even for that there are various interpretations -- eg- not every man will wear a tux, nor every lady an evening gown. From my POV, every night that is not formal night is smart casual.

As long as shorts, bathing suits , pool flipflops are not encouraged.....what is is casual vs smart casual differences for dinner designation?

well.. our cruise compass 'suggested' sundresses or blouses/pants for women on casual nights. didnt really pay attention to the suggested attire for men. of course most women i saw were in something better than sundresses on those nights. plenty of men wearing jackets too.

the most mystifying thing for me was going up to the windjammer for some fruits at 8+pm on one of the formal nights (ate at johnny rockets earlier) and seeing at least 3 to 4 VERY formally dressed couples - tux and all - sitting there eating the buffet food. i mean, did they get all dressed up then decided they would prefer the buffet? or did they not have enough to eat earlier on in the MDR???

There's totally NOTHING wrong with Hawaiian shirts, you're on VACAY in THE CARIBBEAN?! If you're worried about DW leaving you over a Hawaiian shirt, you might have bigger issues?

There's totally NOTHING wrong with Hawaiian shirts, you're on VACAY in THE CARIBBEAN?! If you're worried about DW leaving you over a Hawaiian shirt, you might have bigger issues?

If Jen is also Hawaian shirt attired then I see no issue. If she has put in the effort to look special then by not doing the same I think you are taking her for granted.

If the wife tries to look her best and takes pride in herself & her old man doesn't bother I think it says something.

Shoe on the other foot. Every time you get dressed up for a night out wanting it to be a special occasion she turns up in an old T-shirt and a pair of shorts with hair all over the place. At what point do give up? I appreciate giving up might mean you ditching the threads, putting on a few pounds, not shaving and letting your hair go wild rather than leaving her. But all the same.

If a woman likes to dress up it seems right that her partner do the same for her.

I posted this as part of my current ongoing review of Adventure Of The Seas from our cruise last month:

There was the “Suggested” clothing for each night in the daily Cruise Compass (Casual except for the two formal nights), but it was obvious that RCI is backing away from enforcing the suggested clothing on any given night in the MDR. I will not give my views as to what we think as that is not the purpose of my review. Casual was defined in the cruise compass as: “Sundresses or slacks and blouses for the ladies, sport shirts and trousers for the gentlemen”.

Day 1 Casual (Whatever you wore aboard)

Day 2 – Formal (Sunday)

Day 3 – Casual / 70’s Attire

Day 4 – Casual / Wear Something White (Sea Day)

Day 5 – Casual / Caribbean

Day 6 – Formal (Thursday)

Day 7 – Casual (Sea Day)

We were on Explorer in September and noticed this too. Smart casual is resort casual. More dressy. When we were on Jewel to the Baltic (08? I think) the British crowd were very into jacket and tie for smart casual while the US community would wear a golf shirt and dockers. It's a cultural difference and, for that reason, given the preponderance of American cruisers, it may have seemed politic to eliminate the distinction.

Another change is the luggage rules on the airlines. I used to be able to bring 2 suitcases free not so long ago, not anymore! And so passengers don't want to have to feel required to bring many changes of clothing for the cruise experience. All you have to do is note the complaints on the threads about formal wear.

I saw a lot of folks wearing smart casual on Explorer even though the messaging was casual, folks enjoyed freshening up and dressing nicely for dinner. But no requirement takes the pressure off of those who are luggage challenged or just not comfortable with a more formal style of dress. As previous posters noted, the message is still there for the speciality restaurants.