too late to upgrade?

sassafrass

I booked my 4 day Carnival cruise thru Cruise.com and it sails in 5 weeks. I have an oceanview As of today 11/4 there are 36 unsold balconies and 25 suites.Any chance that I can get a cheap balcony upgrade. Should I call Carnival directly or wait till my TA contact calls me back? I would think that Carnival would want to sail with a full ship and offer those who booked early an upgrade thus opening up the cheaper inside cabins.

I booked my 4 day Carnival cruise thru Cruise.com and it sails in 5 weeks. I have an oceanview As of today 11/4 there are 36 unsold balconies and 25 suites.Any chance that I can get a cheap balcony upgrade. Should I call Carnival directly or wait till my TA contact calls me back? I would think that Carnival would want to sail with a full ship and offer those who booked early an upgrade thus opening up the cheaper inside cabins.

Five weeks is still a ways out. Those balconies and suites may not be 'unsold'; they may just not yet be assigned yet to those requesting a guarantee. I don't think it would do any harm to have your TA inquire (I doubt if Carnival will talk to you if you've used a TA) since you are willing to pay for it.

One last Hope for you. I'd check with Guest services just before Sail away. There may be a no show or a last minute cancellation. Never hurts to ask.

Every cruise I've been on, on every line, has had a sign at guest services saying some form of, ship is full, no cabins available. They are probably trying to discourage everyone and his brother looking for a "better" cabin.:D

At 5 weeks out the GTYs have not been assigned. You really can't get a solid feel for what is available.

Again, if you call them, you will most likely get quoted rack rate. If they call you, you might get a deal...an upsell.