What perks should I expect from my TA

oceansandseas

o

Posters are always mentioning that a good TA will give perks. However, no one ever mentions the value of those perks. It has been a few years since our last Oceania cruise. I do not believe that our regular TA gave us anything if it was not given across the board by Oceania.

DH and I are thinking of booking B2B 10 day Caribbean cruises for Feb 2016. I have been waiting for prices to drop, but they have not. Nothing special is offered from Oceania for these cruises. They are popular and incentives do not have to be given to fill the ship.

These cruises will total more than $16,000.00 US. We are Canadian, so add another 25%. OUCH The cruises that I am looking at do not have the Canadian reduction like some other cruises.

If I book and then the price drops or incentives are offered across the board, do I get a reduction in cash or is the price reduction in the form of OBC. Now that I think of it, after final payment I am sure it is OBC.

Just wondering what people think (or know) their TA would give in this situation.

Thanks

o

o

Posters are always mentioning that a good TA will give perks. However, no one ever mentions the value of those perks. It has been a few years since our last Oceania cruise. I do not believe that our regular TA gave us anything if it was not given across the board by Oceania.

DH and I are thinking of booking B2B 10 day Caribbean cruises for Feb 2016. I have been waiting for prices to drop, but they have not. Nothing special is offered from Oceania for these cruises. They are popular and incentives do not have to be given to fill the ship.

These cruises will total more than $16,000.00 US. We are Canadian, so add another 25%. OUCH The cruises that I am looking at do not have the Canadian reduction like some other cruises.

If I book and then the price drops or incentives are offered across the board, do I get a reduction in cash or is the price reduction in the form of OBC. Now that I think of it, after final payment I am sure it is OBC.

Just wondering what people think (or know) their TA would give in this situation.

Thanks

o

The popularity or non-popularity of a cruise should have absolutely no baring on what your TA provides you in return for booking thru them. That said, the price of the cruise might play into the equation since a higher cruise value nets the TA a higher dollar amount since commissions are based on a percentage of the cruise cost. Our TA along with several others provides minimum cash rebates of 10% or a little more depending on circumstances which is IMHO much better than OBC that may be non-refundable so that we can do what we choose with the cash. Some OBC is sometimes offered as well. As you know we cannot name our TA but, they are a huge brick and mortar as well as internet TA with many people on CC as clients.

Edited by rallydave

Hi all,

I am curious now that O is giving free internet, and gratuities on many cruises how are your TAs adjusting their perks? We love our TA but I am hearing that some folks are getting a % back from the TA and sometimes up to 10%. I am not asking for names on this board but trying to get better informed.

Thank you,

The popularity or non-popularity of a cruise should have absolutely no baring on what your TA provides you in return for booking thru them. That said, the price of the cruise might play into the equation since a higher cruise value nets the TA a higher dollar amount since commissions are based on a percentage of the cruise cost. Our TA along with several others provides minimum cash rebates of 10% or a little more depending on circumstances which is IMHO much better than OBC that may be non-refundable so that we can do what we choose with the cash. Some OBC is sometimes offered as well. As you know we cannot name our TA but, they are a huge brick and mortar as well as internet TA with many people on CC as clients.

This is a part, but not all, of the equation. O pays a decent commission to TAs. However, the level of that percentage depends on overall O sales by that TA (or agency). So, top O producers are in a better position to "share" some of that commission with clients.

Likewise, top O producers have occasional partnership deals with O for special sales, which may include O incentive funds to pass on as added OBC (or items equal to that $ value (e.g., tips, internet). And there are other TA incentive or pass through funds associated with group bookings.

So, step one is find a top O producer. Start by asking TAs if they are members of O's Connoiseurs' Club. While on an O cruise, e.g. at a M&G, ask others about their TAs.

Do some comparison shopping too. For example, even if you have a trusted TA, assign bookings on board to yourself and then discuss perks with your TA and others before reassigning that cruise to one of them within 30 days.

At the bottom line, and as a general very conservative number, you may want to look at some point between 5% and 10% of the cabin cost as TA added OBC (on top of whatever O is providing.

This is a part, but not all, of the equation. O pays a decent commission to TAs. However, the level of that percentage depends on overall O sales by that TA (or agency). So, top O producers are in a better position to "share" some of that commission with clients.

Likewise, top O producers have occasional partnership deals with O for special sales, which may include O incentive funds to pass on as added OBC (or items equal to that $ value (e.g., tips, internet). And there are other TA incentive or pass through funds associated with group bookings.

So, step one is find a top O producer. Start by asking TAs if they are members of O's Connoiseurs' Club. While on an O cruise, e.g. at a M&G, ask others about their TAs.

Do some comparison shopping too. For example, even if you have a trusted TA, assign bookings on board to yourself and then discuss perks with your TA and others before reassigning that cruise to one of them within 30 days.

At the bottom line, and as a general very conservative number, you may want to look at some point between 5% and 10% of the cabin cost as TA added OBC (on top of whatever O is providing.

Agree with most of your post however the last sentence regarding TA added OBC is really not what I am talking about and certainly not what is best for the customer. Our TA provides a check about 1 week prior to the departure of the cruise for the 10%+ of the commisionable amount we pay and then we choose it to spend on the cruise, put it in the bank to offset some of the cruise fare, pay other bills, pay for on board purchases, etc. While OBC directly from the TA is refundable after the cruise, I would much rather have that money as cash prior to the cruise to do with as we choose rather than having it burn a whole in our pocket while on board purchasing items we really don't need or want.

Agree with most of your post however the last sentence regarding TA added OBC is really not what I am talking about and certainly not what is best for the customer. Our TA provides a check about 1 week prior to the departure of the cruise for the 10%+ of the commisionable amount we pay and then we choose it to spend on the cruise, put it in the bank to offset some of the cruise fare, pay other bills, pay for on board purchases, etc. While OBC directly from the TA is refundable after the cruise, I would much rather have that money as cash prior to the cruise to do with as we choose rather than having it burn a whole in our pocket while on board purchasing items we really don't need or want.

I can't remember the industry website with O policies for TAs. But I do remember restrictions on advertising actual $ discounts on cabin price or real $ back deals.

Maybe someone else can clarify but, I think there's somewhat of a gray area "don't ask don't tell" tradition about top O producers sharing commission as OBC vs a check.

Anyone?

I can't remember the industry website with O policies for TAs. But I do remember restrictions on advertising actual $ discounts on cabin price or real $ back deals.

Maybe someone else can clarify but, I think there's somewhat of a gray area "don't ask don't tell" tradition about top O producers sharing commission as OBC vs a check.

Anyone?

You are absolutely correct Flatbush and I can clarify this for you. I have read the PCH policy and was concerned enough with what it said when released that I talked to the owner of the Agency I use. By the way, he is on the Oceania/Regent board of TA advisors and he told me the key word was advertise. TA's can provide whatever they want to their customers, they simply are not allowed to advertise what they give in excess of the allowable perks.

So it is not a gray area, PCH wrote the policy exactly as they wanted and no problem with customers telling friends and acquaintances about these perks, the TA simply cannot advertise them but they can provide them to all customers who contact them.

Our TA is a top producer of Oceania, as well as several other luxury cruise lines. The perks we have received depended on the line. When we did our last Paul Gauguin cruise, we got a check back (can't remember the percentage, but it was a nice piece of change). For our upcoming O cruise, they are pre-paying our gratuities, plus giving us an OBC. Not sure what the perk would be for O cruises that don't charge gratuities - perhaps it would be a check.

Like others have said, check the TA out and be sure to get everything in writing. We first used a Top Producer TA with Oceania---booked at least 8 cruises in an Owners Suite and never got 10% or even 5%. We now have another TA that did a pretty good job, with another cruise line. Once we're over this medical thing keeping us home (about a year now) we'll be cruising Oceania again using the New TA.

Don't let your TA take your share to their bank, make sure it goes to yours. After all it's your money.

Rick

Here in Australia you can whistle for any commission-sharing. Not only that, but they charge up to 3% for using a credit card to pay, although my agent has "waived" that - in other words I should be grateful for not being overcharged!

Here in Australia you can whistle for any commission-sharing. Not only that, but they charge up to 3% for using a credit card to pay, although my agent has "waived" that - in other words I should be grateful for not being overcharged!

I forgot - one agent charged $55 pp just for walking through the door, before anything else! Only used them once.....

Unbelievable, sounds like the TA takes the payment and when ready sends payment to Oceania. Not like that in the US and if some TA tried that, they would get a mouthful as have heard of TA's here in the colonies that demand payment early and made out to them. That is the sign of a TA going out of business and trying to make money off of us. Here with any TA most of us will do business with, we simply provide the TA our credit card information or if they already have the info authorize them to provide that information to the creuise line who will then process the payment meaning no charges as haven't heard of a cruise line that charges for using a credit card.

Have to make sure you get an invoice from the cruise line as well as TA as a TA only invoice won't prove you paid and you may be stuck when the TA absconds with your money and you're sitting at home. We don't authorize payment until the actual day or a day or two earlier that the final payment or any payment for that matter is due the cruise line.

Should work that way world wide as the TA only gets their commission about a week or two before sailing in case you have to cancel.

Good luck there in OZ!!

@RallyDave:

>>We don't authorize payment until the actual day or a day or two earlier that the final payment or any payment for that matter is due the cruise line.<<

We usually pay the full amount on booking, because the Ts and Cs state that the price is only guaranteed when the full fare is paid.

Since we are very influenced by exchange rates AU$ v US$ it's a reasonable insurance. In one case last year paying on booking v when the full amount was due "saved" AU$14,700 due to the exchange rate plummeting in the several months' difference. Not insignificant.....

Not sure where the OP is located. In my experience (in the UK) it works differently. We negotiate a discounted price with our TA which is deducted from the cruise price at the point of booking, rather than given as OBC or a rebate. This discount is a percentage of the booking, for us typically 11-12%.

Question from an Oceania newbie: have been very pleased with our TA, whose agency belongs to an upscale consortium (not sure if CC rules allow me to name the consortium but they designate certain sailings as Club Voyages).

The consortium regularly has special offers of additional OBC or extra perks, which our TA automatically tacks on to our booking.

Just wondering: do all member agencies of a consortium offer standardized discounts, OBC, perks? Or do you need to shop around even amongst all the consortium-member agencies?

We do agree with Dundeene about service weighing more heavily than the lowest price...I do look for a fair deal but, when we've needed assistance, our brick-and-mortar TA was there for us in ways that internet agencies wouldn't be!

Question from an Oceania newbie: have been very pleased with our TA, whose agency belongs to an upscale consortium (not sure if CC rules allow me to name the consortium but they designate certain sailings as Club Voyages).

The consortium regularly has special offers of additional OBC or extra perks, which our TA automatically tacks on to our booking.

Just wondering: do all member agencies of a consortium offer standardized discounts, OBC, perks? Or do you need to shop around even amongst all the consortium-member agencies?

We do agree with Dundeene about service weighing more heavily than the lowest price...I do look for a fair deal but, when we've needed assistance, our brick-and-mortar TA was there for us in ways that internet agencies wouldn't be!

As far as I know mentioning the name of a consortium is fine as they are not a TA. If not true, please let me know Host Andy.

in regards to TA's who are affiliated with a consortium offering the same perks, discounts, etc., don't believe so as I have dealt with TA's that are members of consortiums and perks varied from different TA's belonging to the same consortium.

As far as I know mentioning the name of a consortium is fine as they are not a TA. If not true, please let me know Host Andy.

in regards to TA's who are affiliated with a consortium offering the same perks, discounts, etc., don't believe so as I have dealt with TA's that are members of consortiums and perks varied from different TA's belonging to the same consortium.

Remember that for O, commission rates are highest for top producers.

We used a new TA for our upcoming cruise and got NOTHING. We did get a decent price on the cruise but our TA gave us nothing. When O offered free Internet, they couldn't come up with it when another agent did. Suffice to say, we won't use this agency again. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Hi Everyone,

As some members insist on repeatedly hijacking this thread away from the OP's question, I'm closing this thread.

Thanks for your understanding and participation.