Sea sickness!

Taiters91

Hi Everyone!

Going on our first cruise, southern Caribbean in March/April...

I suffer bad travel sickness but the travel agents assured us that the sea will be calmer then calm at this time of year.

Someone has suggested a travel sickness patch that lasts 4 days a time and also the wrist bands.

Any other suggestions or reassurances? :)

The travel agent can't promise that. Sea conditions can't be predicted this far out, so there's no telling if you'll be sailing through calm seas your entire cruise or hitting any rough weather. The Caribbean tends to be nice weather, but I've seen very rough seas every month of the year.

If motion sickness is an issue, make sure you book mid ship, and on as low of a deck as possible. Avoid aft and definitely do not book forward.

My experience is that if you get car sick you are more likely to get sea sick.

No one knows what the seas will be like.

There are various remedies.

Each one has positives and for some side effects. How well each one works varies by person.

A prescription for the patch from your physician. One of the side effects is dry mouth.

Getting an over the counter drug such as Bonine or Dramamine. If you don't take it before you feel nausea it is less effective and can make you very drowsy.

Ginger Capsules.

Sea Bands which the manufacture says is effective for around 50% of those who try it.

Apples.

I would come prepared with one or more of these items.

You might want to consult with your physicians office even for the over the counter remedies.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

Oops!! I will ring travel agents tomorrow and see if there are any other rooms but think it's fully booked!

Oh well, need to just stock up on the right medication and enjoy myself.

I live on an island so regularly travel by sea to the mainland so hopefully I'll be fine :?

Oops!! I will ring travel agents tomorrow and see if there are any other rooms but think it's fully booked!

Oh well, need to just stock up on the right medication and enjoy myself.

I live on an island so regularly travel by sea to the mainland so hopefully I'll be fine :?

I wouldn't worry about moving.

I would just come prepared just in case.

Keith

I'm prone to motion sickness, and it's no fun! We now book only midship. Ask your travel agent to give you the website that shows all available staterooms. It's a very handy tool. I'd keep pestering your agent. What category stateroom are you in? I'll check for you, too.

The only time I've experienced sea sickness (been immune all other times) was on a fishing trip off Cancun. I told the agent I just wanted to do ordinary fishing. But when I got on the boat, it soon became apparent the sole (no pun intended) purpose was for each passenger (there were three of us) to catch a sailfish. After about 90 minutes they got to the spot where the fish were feeding. They headed for where the birds landed, and put the boat into a tight circle for about 10 minutes, each passenger got to fish during one of these corkscrew phases. The tight circles, huffing of fumes, and eventual sailfish blood on the deck eventually did it, and by the end of the second corkscrew phase I and one of the other guys had hurled overboard. I of course caught a sailfish, but told them to throw it back - I wasn't going to pay $1000 to have it mounted!

Then I was fine to drink a few beers and felt much better, but I felt sorry for the fish, and also very lied to.

I know that doesn't help the OP, sorry! :D

My experience is that if you get car sick you are more likely to get sea sick.

Keith

I love how we're all different. My experience is the opposite. I get car sick (badly car sick :() but I don't get sea sick. I'm very thankful for that.

I will definitely be getting every kind of travel sickness medication to be sure...

We have an ocean view room at the front of the ship, not a suite, but whenever I try and find our cruise on a dummy booking it doesn't exist, so I assume it is fully booked.

I will contact the travel agents just in case.

I'm not going to let it ruin my excitement though! :)

I still get seasick (and car sick, too), but swear by Bonine. It is available in the U.S. over the counter, and has the generic name of Meclizine. I don't know if you require a prescription for it on the Isle of Wight, but you might mention it to your physician. A suggestion for you is to take it at night, that way if it has any sleepy effects, you're going to go to bed anyway and won't be bothered by them. I'd hate for you to miss any of your honeymoon by being ill. Congratulations and best wishes.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Thank you so much - I live in England and have researched, may have to buy online. Do you recommend a specific brand??

How do you find cruising once you've taken this? Am thinking of taking this, plus the bands. Thank you xx

I do get car sick, but I have been on some rocky seas and was very surprised to find that I did not get sea sick.

There was one evening that we were passing through the gulf and it was so bad people were holding on the walls to walk through corridors.

However, i would for sure take sea sick meds with you just in case. They are so much more expensive on the ship than on land.

However, i would for sure take sea sick meds with you just in case. They are so much more expensive on the ship than on land.

Yes, whatever you do, don't buy it onboard the ship! It will cost you quite a bit more for a smaller amount than you'd pay on land.

Edited by Treven

Hi Everyone!

Going on our first cruise, southern Caribbean in March/April...

I suffer bad travel sickness but the travel agents assured us that the sea will be calmer then calm at this time of year.

Someone has suggested a travel sickness patch that lasts 4 days a time and also the wrist bands.

Any other suggestions or reassurances? :)

As far as reassurances..

I don't know what your itinerary looks like, but if you're hitting the lesser antilles chain and sailing from San Juan you won't really be sailing that much.

If you're going to be heading to Aruba and Curacao then there will certainly be more opportunity for movement on the open sea.