Military discount.

jig

Friend of mine was looking at the maasdam round trip to Europe this fall. 40 plus day cruise. Was given the discount price and then told him it is only for active duty personal. If a military person gets 30 days leave a year how do they sell them a 42 day cruise. Scam?

Friend of mine was looking at the maasdam round trip to Europe this fall. 40 plus day cruise. Was given the discount price and then told him it is only for active duty personal. If a military person gets 30 days leave a year how do they sell them a 42 day cruise. Scam?

Sounds more like a TA than directly with Holland America.

The cruise line creates the discount fir the Active Duty military person. It is available regardless of length of cruise. If the military person wants to do the cruise, it is up to them to decide how to put enough time together. EM

And, just how is that a "scam"?

HAL has a lot of cruises that are far less than 30 days duration for which the military discount would apply.

Unless things have changed since I retired from the military, troops earn 2.5 days per month in paid leave x 12 equals 30 days per year. We were allowed to accrue up to 60 days leave but had to use anything in excess of 60 days each year or lose the excess days.

Just because your friend may not have more than 42 days accrued leave, doesn't mean he is being scammed.

I am guessing the OP was not aware that active duty military folks can carry over up to 60 days leave. When I separated from active duty, I had that 60 days of unused leave so I effectively was released two months early (they called it "terminal leave" back in those days).

Edited by joepeka

It's a long time ago, but during the Vietnam War you could accumulate up to 90 days if you were serving in a combat zone - I know that I did which made a nice homecoming for our 1st.

Edited by jimmy2x

I believe your friend is getting hung up on the term 'active.' In my opinion the status does change when 'on leave.' Most cruise lines use the terms active/reserve/retired so, regardless of time on vacation, an active military person returning to an active post is active throughout the vacation and does not change to reserve or retired during the vacation. Call Holland's customer service to get clarity.

Edited by Nanobot
correcting grammar

Was not aware that HAL gives discount for military members active or other wise. Have never been offered on any of our cruises.

Allan

I assume that HAL does occasionally offer military discounts, but in ten cruises we've never gotten one. Maybe its because they have all been in the Caribbean.

Edited by jimmy2x

Was not aware that HAL gives discount for military members active or other wise. Have never been offered on any of our cruises.

Allan

There is at least one third party travel web site that shows military discounts on HAL cruises. And I honestly cannot remember if I got one on our only previous HAL cruise or not. :o

My understanding is that only active duty military may be provided a military discount by HAL.

I am a military retiree and have never seen or heard of a discount for military retirees by HAL. However, we have friends who are military retirees and they receive military discounts on Princess.

If your friend is a military retiree then the previous "leave days" issue is not relevant in the least.

My understanding is that only active duty military may be provided a military discount by HAL.

I am a military retiree and have never seen or heard of a discount for military retirees by HAL. However, we have friends who are military retirees and they receive military discounts on Princess.

If your friend is a military retiree then the previous "leave days" issue is not relevant in the least.

DH and I are retired. We have gotten OBC from Princess. HAL does not do this for active duty or retired. This may be a special promotion only available to active duty.

• 1 year later...

I just booked us a 14 day on HAL Veendam we will be reaching our 200 day Mariner level on this cruise. I had thought that they were giving the OBC for Military like Princess does. However, I am not seeing it anywhere so I must be wrong. It's to bad that CCL doesn't do it across the board for all their cruise lines.

We still LOVE HAL though:D

DH and I are retired. We have gotten OBC from Princess. HAL does not do this for active duty or retired. This may be a special promotion only available to active duty.

On Princess you only need a DD214. You don't need to be retired. Veteran status is good enough to get the OBC

Dennis

On Princess you only need a DD214. You don't need to be retired. Veteran status is good enough to get the OBC

Dennis

Yes, once you've sent them your DD 214 it stays in your account and is credited each time you sail with them going forward.

I just booked an NCL cruise and they gave me Military OBC $25. It maybe $12.50 from TA & $12.50 from NCL. I had to produce my DD214. I hope it didn't break the bank.

Yes, once you've sent them your DD 214 it stays in your account and is credited each time you sail with them going forward.

The same works for Cunard, too.

Wish HAL would decide to get on board, so to speak!