Yes or no. Do you like the new "evening chic" dress code?

A Sixth?

"evening chic" yes or no....  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. "evening chic" yes or no....

• Yes, a move forward
    • No, hate the idea.
    • Don't care

Yes !!!!! Being farmers, hubby will have to pack his denim overalls and bring along a few sheafs of wheat to stick in his hair ( eye roll )

Not funny , on our Sept Celebrity Cruise had some people that dressed like that and in general very much more casual than on past cruises. It is kind of sad.

I think the policy was changed because people already ignored the dress code and it wasn't inforced in the MDR . I hope it doesn't get worse and still think in the evening, men should wear slacks or a nice pair of Dockers and women should dress in cocktail wear . I don't think any jeans should be worn in MDR ( designer jeans can sometimes have hole in them )

I do agree that not requiring jackets and ties and formal gowns will make for more room in the luggage especially when many of us extend or vacations.

I do not get it. Really ladies formal wear takes up the same space. A man just needs a little more room for a jacket. Surely men bring a pair of shoes in addition to wearing sneakers. You do not need to pack ballgowns and hoop slips. The extra luggage reason dosen't really make sense.

It's not an issue with me (the female). I was addressing a third suitcase query. You suggest just take a jacket but that's not formal. It's the suit or tux on top of everything else that limits his packing plus his size 13 feet :eek: When you're packing for a couple of weeks on land plus a cruise with only a couple of formal nights the attire for that small amount of time does not warrant the space it takes up. We just ate in a specialty restaurant. But now we don't have to :)

Personally, I don't like the change. I enjoy wearing a suit or tuxedo a couple nights on the cruise and enjoying seeing people dressed to the 10s. But I'm not surprised by the change, and I don't expect it to ruin my cruise experience in the least. It's not like the dining room is going to turn into Denny's with everyone wearing baseball hats, shorts, and t-shirts because of this change....

Truth be told I'd prefer to wear a tuxedo every night of the cruise to dinner (Maybe I should start taking crossings on Cunard instead of Caribbean cruises???), but I realize that I'm in the minority and do not fault Celebrity for going with what the majority of their market prefers.

Even with this change I expect some portion of the guests to wear suits or tuxes on (what used to be called) "formal night", myself included, and I'm curious to see what difference this new concept has on how people are dressed on my Reflection cruise in January.

This echoes my view exactly

I enjoyed playing dress up, but I quickly grew aware of US passengers that did not appreciate doing so

It's not an issue with me (the female). I was addressing a third suitcase query. You suggest just take a jacket but that's not formal. It's the suit or tux on top of everything else that limits his packing plus his size 13 feet :eek: When you're packing for a couple of weeks on land plus a cruise with only a couple of formal nights the attire for that small amount of time does not warrant the space it takes up. We just ate in a specialty restaurant. But now we don't have to :)

I have just returned from a two week cruise and packed two suits, 14 shirts, 14 day tops, 5 pairs of trousers and 5 pairs of shoes, plus a variety of day and beach shorts and underwear for every day

I have no idea how people can't pack a suitcase for two weeks that does not fit into economy luggage allowance :confused:

I have just returned from a two week cruise and packed two suits, 14 shirts, 14 day tops, 5 pairs of trousers and 5 pairs of shoes, plus a variety of day and beach shorts and underwear for every day

I have no idea how people can't pack a suitcase for two weeks that does not fit into economy luggage allowance :confused:

Are you talking about a single checked suitcase or a suitcase + carry-on + personal item such as a camera bag?

My kids pack for a 7 day cruise with clothes for formal wear and outfit changes for breakfast, lunch and diner. They never go over 35 pounds each.

DH and I usually float between 45 and 50 pounds; but never go over. I pack everything but the kitchen sink. Outfits for breakfast lunch and dinner. I don't repeat clothes, and I pack several pairs of shoes.

I also don't get how elegant chic will make packing lighter or why formal wear is such a burden.

If you read my post, I said a couple of weeks land trip + a cruise. We rarely just do a cruise. If all I had to do was fly to a port then no issues and those are the types of trips that we do dress formal.

I'm old, you must really be old.:rolleyes:

I think the belief that only the older generation enjoys dressing more formerly is inaccurate. I am in my mid 30's and my wife and I would love it if every dinner was a black tie affair. If Cunard offered more Caribbean cruises (instead of the occasional 10 or 13 day Caribbean cruise out of NY), we would absolutely look into cruising them. However, as I stated previously, I'm not surprised by this change, because I realize that my wife and I are certainly in the minority (and this poll I think is quite indicative of the feelings of most cruisers, not just those on cruisecritic), and people wearing cocktail dresses and "designer jeans" and collared shirts instead of evening gowns and tuxes is not going to ruin a cruise for me, so I have no intention of cancelling my booked cruises with Celebrity to try and find some other cruise line that may offer a more formal atmosphere....

Yes !!!!! Being farmers, hubby will have to pack his denim overalls and bring along a few sheafs of wheat to stick in his hair ( eye roll )

Please don't you will upset the gluten free passengers....;)

Disclaimer: I'm not referring to those who suffer with celiac disease. I have to say that this gluten free trend has been a blessing for those who truly can't have gluten products.

Are you talking about a single checked suitcase or a suitcase + carry-on + personal item such as a camera bag?

Single suitcase. My carry on has my camera bag plus lenses in along with my phone, kindle and razor. There is always space in it if I need to buy some holiday junk :rolleyes:

I also make sure I have mainly dark colours so that I can make good use of a laundry bag if required

Single suitcase. My carry on has my camera bag plus lenses in along with my phone, kindle and razor. There is always space in it if I need to buy some holiday junk :rolleyes:

I also make sure I have mainly dark colours so that I can make good use of a laundry bag if required

You'll have to make a video for us, coz there's no way that I could squeeze all that gear into a single suitcase that meets today's airline weight and size limits. You aren't a Leprechaun or another one of the Wee Folk are you? :)

As far as I can see, Celebrity haven't enforced any dress codes for a long time now. Recently off the Equinox transatlantic I have now seen it all - a lady in her night attire (oversized tshirt and slippers to me) on formal night in the theatre, sitting, I assume, next to her husband in his tuxedo!!!!

New rules start in December apparently, seems that they've already started, as least they have on Equinox

Edited by yoj13
spelling

We pack for 6-7 days. Does not matter if we are going for a week or three months.

Not for everyone, but it has worked well for us over the past three years since we downsized our life....and our luggage. Lots more travel, lots less luggage.

Recently cleaned out our storage area and gave away most of our larger luggage pieces..24/5/6 rollers. Too heavy and cumbersome when they are filled. Our max now is about 10KG but usually more like 8/9.

Edited by iancal

You'll have to make a video for us, coz there's no way that I could squeeze all that gear into a single suitcase that meets today's airline weight and size limits. You aren't a Leprechaun or another one of the Wee Folk are you? :)
There are already lots of videos on packing light.

If interested, here are links to just a few for starters.

Learning to Lighten your Load

I'm packing for almost nine weeks and will likely bring the same stuff I always do. love those free laundry coupons. :D

2psk4rl.jpg

22xj44.jpg

Me, too. However, My DH will not need to bring a jacket and will need to bring long sleeve shirts- whch he does not wear now. We were on the Solstice for a month last Spring and we saw jeans and cropped pants in the dining room regularly. Formal night is usually just a pair of nice black pants and a fancy blouse for me and a jacket and a tie for DH. A far cry from our first cruise 20 some years ago with formal wear ( tux and gowns), informal wear ( dresses and jackets with no tie) and smart casual wear which I never figured out since it meant something different to each cruiser.