Yes or no. Do you like the new "evening chic" dress code?

A Sixth?

"evening chic" yes or no....  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. "evening chic" yes or no....

• Yes, a move forward
    • No, hate the idea.
    • Don't care

The less formal dress requirements are a great move!

The smaller percentage of people who enjoy formal dress and commenting on other people's dress should consider switching to Cunard or geriatic HAL. If they switched lines, that would be an outstanding improvement for Celebrity!

Or perhaps the people who want to dress less formally should consider switching to Carnival or NCL, because "if they switched lines, it would be an (even more) outstanding improvement for Celebrity!"

I don't believe that, I just said that to demonstrate the ridiculousness of your statement.

Now, to be clear, I would love to dine or enjoy a cocktail with you, regardless of how you're dressed. I just take exception to the idea that people who enjoy the formal evenings are also snobs who gossip about what everyone else is wearing. (Which seems to be the jump that a lot of people are making in this discussion).

Edited by patterson3

NOOOOOO. I can't vote on I-pad. One reason we love Celebrity is the one chance a year for DH to wear a tux and for me to wear a formal dress. I love the formal nights. I hope they don't stop, there are enough cruise lines that are casual and relaxed. Please keep the formal evenings.

The beauty of this is that you can wear what you please. Don't stop wearing formal clothing if it makes you happy.

You and you alone are responsible for your own happiness. Your happiness should never depend on someone else ... especially not in what makes them happy. Go for it ... keep your formal nights. I am sure you will not feel out of place. Smile away!!

But great to do poll by country I wonder how that would turn out.

Any takers.

I can do a poll that translates the respondents' IP addresses into country (state, province, and city) but you can't post a link to the poll here at CruiseCritic.

I think that a good survey would ask multiple questions about the dress code and break down the results by country.

Here's one we did last summer about Holland America's balcony smoking policy. Sadly, you are not allowed to post links to an external surveys here.

http://www.instituteofcheer.com/wp-content/uploads/Balcony-Smoking-Survey-2014-Holland-America-Line.pdf

I can do a poll that translates the respondents' IP addresses into country (state, province, and city) but you can't post a link to the poll here at CruiseCritic.

I think that a good survey would ask multiple questions about the dress code and break down the results by country.

Here's one we did last summer about Holland America's balcony smoking policy. Sadly, you are not allowed to post links to an external surveys here.

http://www.instituteofcheer.com/wp-content/uploads/Balcony-Smoking-Survey-2014-Holland-America-Line.pdf

Why not ask if you can do a poll they can only say Yes or No.

Here's one we did last summer about Holland America's balcony smoking

policy. Sadly, you are not allowed to post links to an external surveys here.

It wouldn't matter which country passengers originate the cruise industry responds to the majority needs and wants of the passengers that fill their ships. I have posted a link to CLIA research and reports that indicate 70% of ALL cruisers would prefer elegant casual wear. That is just too high a majority to ignore. They show the total number of berths as over 500,000. They have created a monster industry that has to be fed. The carnival cruise industry has ships like Cunard that fill the gap of offering a more formal experience but I think we can expect them to follow Celebrity lead quite soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Other then that Mrs Lincoln how was the play?" :cool:

It wouldn't matter which country passengers originate the cruise industry responds to the majority needs and wants of the passengers that fill their ships. I have posted a link to CLIA research and reports that indicate 70% of ALL cruisers would prefer elegant casual wear. That is just too high a majority to ignore. They show the total number of berths as over 500,000. They have created a monster industry that has to be fed. The carnival cruise industry has ships like Cunard that fill the gap of offering a more formal experience but I think we can expect them to follow Celebrity lead quite soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think that sounds about right. I purposely book on other lines when the prices are too high to go to the specialty restaurants or book an Aqua Class cabin on Celebrity....simply because I don't want to take formal clothes.

It doesn't mean that others are restricted from this ... just nice for people that don't want to. With that beings said, I have not seen what others are warning about -- having to eat with a lot of slobs. We dress nicely (but not formally) and are always clean when we go to one of the restaurants for dinner on the ship. We have found that others, in Blu and in specialty restaurants, oftentimes are seen in tuxes or kilts for the men and cocktail gowns for the women. Just because they can dress less formally doesn't mean they automatically do.

So now there is one more restaurant, the MDR, where the Blu and specialty restaurant dress code applies. No big deal for those that still want to dress up ... just as before, some will, some won't. I really just cannot see anyone getting all up in arms about this.

If we prefer to dress down, we go to the buffet and eat out on the back patio....even if it is on formal night.

A conditional "Yes". If Celebrity clarifies and enforces the new standard, I'm in favour, but not if they allow this to become the slippery slope that some predict.

I agree...they need to enforce a standard...I enjoy dressing up a bit and would rather not have someone in a t-shirt and jeans at the table next to me...:(

Edited by seastar2

My goodness, I really can't understand what the big fuss is about. When you go to upscale restaurants around town, do you analyze what other patrons are wearing? Does what they wear impact the enjoyment of your dinner and whatever occasion you may be celebrating? Are you so distracted from interacting with your dining partner(s) because of what you may deem as not up to your standards of dress by others?

Are the folks who are in suites and aqua class on board to be trusted more to wear the appropriate dress because they spend more for their accommodations? Therefore the dress code for them in those venues is not "formal" and there appears to have been no controversy or concern for them to adhere to the standards.

But, for the "regular folk" that are not booked in the higher categories of staterooms, there is this great concern that the relaxed dress code for the MDR will harm the sensibilities of those that would cling to the tradition of tux/suit/formal dress? Are your fellow MDR patrons not to be trusted to know what is appropriate? This appears to be class discrimination among that particular group.

I believe that there will always be people whose choices in clothing will not suit the standards of others. Who is to determine what those standards are? I find all this hand wringing over who is wearing what to be so inconsequential in light of so many things going on in our lives and the world.

There is no ban on wearing formal wear, there are just more choices being offered. Everyone should just concentrate on enjoying their vacation and stop being the fashion police.

My goodness, I really can't understand what the big fuss is about. When you go to upscale restaurants around town, do you analyze what other patrons are wearing? Does what they wear impact the enjoyment of your dinner and whatever occasion you may be celebrating? Are you so distracted from interacting with your dining partner(s) because of what you may deem as not up to your standards of dress by others?

Are the folks who are in suites and aqua class on board to be trusted more to wear the appropriate dress because they spend more for their accommodations? Therefore the dress code for them in those venues is not "formal" and there appears to have been no controversy or concern for them to adhere to the standards.

But, for the "regular folk" that are not booked in the higher categories of staterooms, there is this great concern that the relaxed dress code for the MDR will harm the sensibilities of those that would cling to the tradition of tux/suit/formal dress? Are your fellow MDR patrons not to be trusted to know what is appropriate? This appears to be class discrimination among that particular group.

I believe that there will always be people whose choices in clothing will not suit the standards of others. Who is to determine what those standards are? I find all this hand wringing over who is wearing what to be so inconsequential in light of so many things going on in our lives and the world.

There is no ban on wearing formal wear, there are just more choices being offered. Everyone should just concentrate on enjoying their vacation and stop being the fashion police.

Couldn't have said it better! 👍

Wait. The "New Evening Chic Fashion" Police will be here soon.

This is not even a comparisson. Formal nights on a cruise line are way more than just eating a meal in a restaurant. It's the entire ambience of the ship, the special things that were done by the cruise line (which are mostly gone now with all the cost cutting) and everyone feeling just a little more "special".

Obviously Celebrity feels that not only will this help bring in business but it gives them more of an excuse to cut out the any of the litte extras they offered on formal nights (like the free champagne/drinks at the Captain's Gala Toast).

The Golden Age of cruising is certianly dead and now it's just like any other mass market vacation.

Having sailed with Celebrity over 40 cruises ,we are delighted that they finally parked formal nights in the past:D . What with current trends in society ,the more relaxed feel of "Chic " dress is a delight & allows us to not pack so many extra clothes ,especially on Alaska,Caribbean Trans Atlantic & in general all cruises :D

For those who desire to wear more formal clothing that would never be a problem for us ;)

I belong to a couple of UK social media sites and while there is some support i think you'd find it the opposite of the poll done here. You Brits like to dress up ;)

And we Aussies, generally, don't. Especially cruising the Pacific Islands, but I will still take my suit etc. and wear it first formal night and see about the second. Especially as our cruise ENDS on December 4th, would hate to be denied access because of the date!!!!!!!!! (joking - I hope).

YES I LOVE THE IDEA! Get dressed up if you want to but i'm not bringing a gown and it's easier for the hubs to not bring a suit. Formal nights we always booked specialty restaurants, they are too stuffy and stodgy for me. This isn't HS it's not prom. We are in our mid/late 30's. It specifically states no holes in jeans, no t-shirts. What's wrong with a polo, dark jeans, and loafers or jeans and some a cute top for a woman? I'm all for it!

Hate It....

Won't be enforced....

Nothing is enforced now, unfortunately. We have seen people let in the MDR with shorts at dinner time and without jackets on formal nights. We've also see some one at the martini bar in a Celebrity bathrobe (which you are not suppose to wear out of the cabin) in the evening before dinner. Nothing was done.

This is not even a comparisson. Formal nights on a cruise line are way more than just eating a meal in a restaurant. It's the entire ambience of the ship, the special things that were done by the cruise line (which are mostly gone now with all the cost cutting) and everyone feeling just a little more "special".

Obviously Celebrity feels that not only will this help bring in business but it gives them more of an excuse to cut out the any of the litte extras they offered on formal nights (like the free champagne/drinks at the Captain's Gala Toast).

The Golden Age of cruising is certianly dead and now it's just like any other mass market vacation.

I am having a hard time understanding your comments. I do however understand you are letting us know how you feel and of course you are entitled to do so.

On the other hand, I feel "SPECIAL" from the minute I walk on the cruise ship to the very last day. I love going to new places, meeting new friends and researching the destinations. The whole cruising lifestyle makes me happy, very happy.

Over the years we have met many folks from all over the world. I can't honestly tell you what anyone wore. We had great conversations with folks dress formerly as well as those in jeans and t-shirts.

Will I feel any less special seeing less people dressed up? Absolutely not. I am only concerned about myself and the people I'm traveling with. Your vacation experience is what you make of it. Don't let this minor change make you feel that it is an ordinary trip or as you stated "mass market vacation". It will only be that, if you let it.