What are the "must do" foods?

We have done several cruises in the past but Feb 14, 2016 will be our first Royal Caribbean cruise! We are sailing on Allure bc we wanted to go big or go home for our first try. We are curious as to what are the must try dishes on RC. This applies to all food types but especially desserts as many of the cruises we have been on dessert is an area that frequently is a little disappointing. Thank you in advance!

We are on allure right now so our favorites have been Izumi and windjammer. We have a 9 month old so it's easier to feed him there than in the main dining room. Lobster was fabulous according to my husband. I'm allergic to shellfish so I don't know for sure lol. That's on day 5.

Personally, I don't think anything is a "must do"...depends on your tastes! The desserts on our last cruise were nothing special at all....but I found the sweets in the WJ to be better than those in the DR.

As far as with small kids, the dining room is easier (IMO) where you are served, rather than juggling a child and plates, etc....

We are on allure right now so our favorites have been Izumi and windjammer. We have a 9 month old so it's easier to feed him there than in the main dining room. Lobster was fabulous according to my husband. I'm allergic to shellfish so I don't know for sure lol. That's on day 5.

Thank you!

Personally, I don't think anything is a "must do"...depends on your tastes! The desserts on our last cruise were nothing special at all....but I found the sweets in the WJ to be better than those in the DR.

As far as with small kids, the dining room is easier (IMO) where you are served, rather than juggling a child and plates, etc....

Good tip about the desserts in the buffet vs other areas.

This applies to all food types but especially desserts as many of the cruises we have been on dessert is an area that frequently is a little disappointing.

Desserts are equally disappointing on Royal Caribbean. You'll have some specialty restaurants on Allure that I haven't yet experienced, but generally (for me) the only great dessert is the Chocolate Sensation in the Main Dining Room. The apple tart/turnover is fairly good. My experience is the opposite of the other commenter - I don't even approach the dessert bar in the Windjammer. To me it sucks, which at least is nice for my (struggling) waistline.

The other food is mostly very good (but hit or miss in a few spots). I super enjoy the Asian options at the Windjammer buffet, especially the Indian food. Burgers and fries are good but typical. Dinners in the main dining room are very good, especially the bread service (poppy seed savory bites!), chilled fruit soups, escargot, seafood spaghetti, and several others. I think the only thing in the MDR that we've had that was not great was a pork chop which was dry.

Edited by emory2001

It's really hard for my son to sit through a 2+ hour meal. He starts fussing about an hour in and then I get nasty looks from the other passengers. The crew have been wonderful w him and super patient. But some of the passengers can be really rude when it comes to kids. At least w the windjammer, my husband and I can rotate trips to the buffet and we can make it as quick as we need to.

The chilled soups in the dining room are delicious and should satisfy your sweet tooth as well.

Agree! I order the fruit soups whenever they are on the menu. My favorite is the watermelon-strawberry but they are all delicious. They are listed as starters, but you could certainly order one for dessert. They will bring you pretty much whatever you want (and you can order 2 appz or desserts if you want to try more than one thing).

Edited by emory2001

My not to miss items are key lime pie (MDR), crabcakes (MDR), scallops au gratin (MDR), the fruit brioche bread with sugar on top they serve for breakfast in the Windjammer, muesli in the Windjammer with bananas and walnuts, and the Windjammer's Indian food.

Vintages ala carte tapas. It costs extra mind you but totally worth it. We.ve actually made a meal out of it. Menu courtesy of Gambee. Scroll a little more than half way down.

http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/royal-caribbean-menu/

One of my favourites too. We usually go on embarkation day and enjoy some wine or Sangria with a selection of Tapas.

On the night that they have tiger shrimp on the menu, there will be a dessert item called a Dessert Sampler or a Dessert Trio...something like that. It has a flour-less chocolate cake that is the absolute best dessert on the whole ship, as well as two other things--I think a cheesecake and something else. Skip the cheesecake and the something else that comes with it, and ask them to just bring you 3 pieces of the flour less chocolate cake. Then after you finish that, go up to the Windjammer where they will have it as well, and take several more pieces to your cabin and enjoy them over the next few days. :)

Also, at the Cafe Promenade they have gluten free cookies available if you ask. I'm not entirely gluten free and normally I scoff at things that are, but these cookies are actually quite good--they are the pre-packaged Udi's kind.

For non-dessert things, the tacos at Sabor are excellent as well. We did the tasting menu. It was good, but it is entirely too much food and we decided that the best part was the tacos. The second time we went back we just got a taco. It's really a build-your-own kind of thing. They bring you a little pot with meat in it (the carnitas one is the best), and bowls with salsa, guacamole, and lettuce and you make your own. The tortillas are fresh off of a tortilla machine--they give you 3, but there is enough fillings to make 4 or 5 so ask for extra tortillas.

The dessert soufflés in the dining room are my favourite! There is a Chocolate one and another night a grand mariner one. Baked Alaska is also very good :)

I really wanted to like the bittersweet chocolate souffle, but having been spoiled to the only made when you order it NOT chocolate souffle (not bittersweet but CHOCOLATE) at Palo on Disney Cruise Line, I just had to look at it sadly after one bite.

I'm sure if you haven't had Palo's version, the one on Royal is fine. But if you have, don't bother - get something else for dessert that night.

On Embarkation day in the WJ they have paella, and it is something I look forward to. I know many people avoid going to lunch in the WJ on Embarkation day, but since the paella is only available that day....it is our first stop and gets our cruises off right.

After that my favorite desserts are their chocolate chip cookies (which I tell my waiter on the first night of a cruise that I will ask for each evening as dessert) and not the sugar free chocolate chip cookies. Generally in the Cafe either on the Promenade or in Lattitudes (on smaller ships) they will have cheesecake lollipops -- wonderful and habit forming. The reason I ask for the chocolate chip cookies at dinner, is they are very hard to find around the ship. Sometimes you find them in WJ (many time they have the sugar free ones, which I don't like) or in the cafe....but to guarantee I have them I ask for them as dessert with dinner.