Who's Aboard. End of Cruise.....

sail7seas

It was gone by the early 1990s, possibly earlier. Could you imagine the privacy outrage today?

Last I was on a Princess cruise (about 10 months ago) they were still printing and posting the names of the cabin's inhabitants, and their status, on the doors. :rolleyes:

Edited by 0bnxshs

Last I was on a Princess cruise (about 10 months ago) they were still printing and posting the names of the cabin's inhabitants on the doors. :rolleyes:

They still do. It's an easy fix. Just take your name out if you don't want people to see it. It really doesn't bother me.

They still do. It's an easy fix. Just take your name out if you don't want people to see it. It really doesn't bother me.

I've never been bothered by this either. Of course it's easily fixed. But until you get on board and do so, others can see it. Some people do have issues with this practice.

I've never been bothered by this either. Of course it's easily fixed. But until you get on board and do so, others can see it. Some people do have issues with this practice.

Yeah, I know they do. I once asked why people object to it so much but never got an answer. To say it's a privacy issue doesn't help me to understand. I could possibly understand if you have a really unusual name but if your name is Sally Smith I don't see the big deal. Saying I don't need to understand isn't helpful either as I'm just trying to understand what the threat is. Giving out a roster of everyone on the ship is a different story. My sister is totally uptight about it so I guess some folks do get super concerned.

Edited by cruz chic

I dislike the whole exterior mailbox system. A lot of what you get is generic junk, but there could be pinnacle confirmations, tour tickets, statements of account. I'd rather have things placed on the bed, or if the staff are pressed for time, slid under the door as they used to do.

Last I was on a Princess cruise (about 10 months ago) they were still printing and posting the names of the cabin's inhabitants, and their status, on the doors. :rolleyes:

Thanks. It's kind of surprising in today's world, but it's a nice throwback to olden days.

Yeah, I know they do. I once asked why people object to it so much but never got an answer. To say it's a privacy issue doesn't help me to understand. I could possibly understand if you have a really unusual name but if your name is Sally Smith I don't see the big deal. Saying I don't need to understand isn't helpful either as I'm just trying to understand what the threat is. Giving out a roster of everyone on the ship is a different story. My sister is totally uptight about it so I guess some folks do get super concerned.

When I sailed with my DH, I wouldn't have cared as much as I do now. I don't want some jerk walking down the hallway, looking at names on the door and seeing I am a woman traveling alone. Call me paranoid, I don't mind but I call it a safety issue. There are some real sickos out there.

I think that the issue for me is, unless there's a sound reason for doing something, don't do it. If there is a good and reasonable need for my name to be posted on my door, fine and dandy, but otherwise please don't.

I have no idea where the notion of no more Cruise Logs came from, but it is clearly not correct.

I have four Cruise Logs from the successive cruises I just disembarked. I have had one on every HAL cruise I have taken since they started the practice.

The only thing missing on the Cruise Logs now, that I used to love seeing, was the listing of number of passengers of the various nationalities. It used to be fun to get confirmation of something I only got a sense of during the cruise.

When I sailed with my DH, I wouldn't have cared as much as I do now. I don't want some jerk walking down the hallway, looking at names on the door and seeing I am a woman traveling alone. Call me paranoid, I don't mind but I call it a safety issue. There are some real sickos out there.

You aren't alone. A friend who's been widowed for a few years sailed with relatives on Princess last year. Their cabins weren't close together, and my friend didn't like people knowing she was sailing alone.

I dislike the whole exterior mailbox system. A lot of what you get is generic junk, but there could be pinnacle confirmations, tour tickets, statements of account. I'd rather have things placed on the bed, or if the staff are pressed for time, slid under the door as they used to do.

Agreed completely. We've seen people rummaging through other peoples boxes. We have friends on our last ship that had all their excursion tickets stolen.

A practice I'm not particularly okay with. Once I get to my room and see that I immediately take it off

If this is eluding to various forms of assault... it isn't only men that are capable of committing these crimes just as it isn't only women that are victims of these crimes

Privacy and people who don't want to announce to the world "HEY! I'M ALONE!" is understandable, but the sexism surely isn't necessary to get the point across

Edited by InTheWASide

I have no idea where the notion of no more Cruise Logs came from, but it is clearly not correct.

I have four Cruise Logs from the successive cruises I just disembarked. I have had one on every HAL cruise I have taken since they started the practice.

The only thing missing on the Cruise Logs now, that I used to love seeing, was the listing of number of passengers of the various nationalities. It used to be fun to get confirmation of something I only got a sense of during the cruise.

We got a Cruise Log on the last night of each of the HAL cruises I have done, as recently as May. Hope it still continues.

I haven't heard anything about HAL not doing them anymore - has anyone else?

Edited by Lizzie68

If this is eluding to various forms of assault... it isn't only men that are capable of committing these crimes just as it isn't only women that are victims of these crimes

Privacy and people who don't want to announce to the world "HEY! I'M ALONE!" is understandable, but the sexism surely isn't necessary to get the point across

:rolleyes: Seeing I am a woman, it is my choice to speak only for myself in this very narrow, specific regard. I'll leave it to the gentlemen to speak for themselves.

Edited by sail7seas

We do not want our names to appear on any list of passengers that is distributed to other passengers. If our names are on the door of the cabin, as they are on Princess, we take them down. It is a privacy issue for us.

It is very easy to publish passenger demographics. All that is required is nationality and number of passengers. We have seen this on various cruises.

We do not want our names to appear on any list of passengers that is distributed to other passengers. If our names are on the door of the cabin, as they are on Princess, we take them down. It is a privacy issue for us.

It is very easy to publish passenger demographics. All that is required is nationality and number of passengers. We have seen this on various cruises.

I have never seen a list of passenger names distributed on any cruise I have been on. Surely they wouldn't do that? I have seen a breakdown of nationalities, just as you describle.

I have never seen a list of passenger names distributed on any cruise I have been on. Surely they wouldn't do that?

I have, but it was early on in my cruising life, back in the day of high button shoes.

The lists were lovely, and didn't give much information.

Haven't seen them in decades.

Boy, do I agree with this.

I tend to know my neighbours on cruises by sight and I have actually seen adults walk off with mail from those boxes.

I told the neighbours and they talked to the Front Desk, found the mail was invitations and got them reprinted.

Under the door is much preferred.