Cabin steward to empty mini fridge

cruiseonly

Was thinking of having the mini fridge emptied this cruise as we have the beverage package.

can I empty it out myself.

Where does the cabin steward store the bottles, etc. Is it put on the counter beside the fridge.

Is it a lot of bother for the cabin steward to do this.

thanks.

Was thinking of having the mini fridge emptied this cruise as we have the beverage package.

can I empty it out myself.

Where does the cabin steward store the bottles, etc. Is it put on the counter beside the fridge.

Is it a lot of bother for the cabin steward to do this.

thanks.

You can get this done with no problem. The sometimes store the bottles and cans under the bed so they can put it back for the next cruise.

We have done it before and it is no bother. We have also emptied it ourselves and left the cans etc on the counter (which was where they stayed all cruise). I did take that into account in our extra gratuity.

Most of the time, I can't find our cabin steward when we first get into our room. They're usually done for the afternoon, and don't come back til early evening. So, I always empty the mini bar myself and just line all the bottles up on the counter, by the mirror. Or on an empty shelf near the fridge. They figure it out. It's never caused a problem for us.

I prefer letting the cabin steward do it. That way, should I get charged for something missing, I can honestly say I didn't touch anything. They do it all the time. Most folks want the stuff gone. Another thing X should do, make it an option to choose - empty fridge or full - in your booking. Like dining selections.

We had no trouble getting our cabin steward to empty the fridge. We asked him when he came along to introduce himself shortly after we arrived.

I can't remember the last time a cabin steward actually came by to introduce himself right after we arrived! It's been years. Usually I have something I need to send out to be pressed, or I need a corkscrew or ice or something, and I can't find him. We usually meet him/her in the evening right before dinner, when they start their evening shift.

Of course, we don't hang around after dumping our stuff in the room either. I make a quick check for the steward, then I just leave the pressing in the laundry bag on the bed and a note asking for ice. Then it's off to start our vacation! :D

In our CS on Summit it was empty when we boarded. The Butler said it was to avoid confusion because RS & PS got free items from the mini bar. We didn't care one way or the other. The strange thing was being charged for a bottle of water from the empty mini bar. We had gotten the water from a bar with our beverage package. The Butler took care of it.

I type out a list (with our names and room number) to give to the cabin steward on the first day, in case I don't see him. It usually includes our request for ice every afternoon, emptying the fridge, hypoallergenic pillows, etc. That also makes it easier for him to remember what we requested. And I leave an extra tip with it.

We asked for this on our last Celebrity Cruise. The Room Steward just locked the fridge instead of emptying it.

That's a lazy room steward and I would have challenged him. You are entitled to use the frig without all their to-buy items in it. A very common request.

We don't want the stuff taking up room on the counter tops. We specifically ask that it be taken away. We've seen it then under the bed on a tray. You don't want the cans or bottles rolling around under the bed if it gets rough. ;)

First Celebrity Cruise.

On Royal there are shelved cupboards around the dressing table mirror or above the safe where the 'fridge' items can be stashed out of the way. Do they have similar fitments on Celebrity (Solstice inside room)?

Thanks.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

This brings up a question I've always wanted to know- Does anyone actually use and pay for items in the mini-bar in the room fridge? Given that you can get free room service for food items and it's not much of a walk to get either a drink from a bar or a drink from the buffet stations, has the mini-bar become obsolete?

This brings up a question I've always wanted to know- Does anyone actually use and pay for items in the mini-bar in the room fridge? Given that you can get free room service for food items and it's not much of a walk to get either a drink from a bar or a drink from the buffet stations, has the mini-bar become obsolete?

Yes. We order breakfast in room each morning therefore I need fridge to store what I want. Never buy items from fridge. Would have been on phone to report the locking or refusal to empty to head of housekeeping.

I can't remember the last time a cabin steward actually came by to introduce himself right after we arrived! It's been years. Usually I have something I need to send out to be pressed, or I need a corkscrew or ice or something, and I can't find him. We usually meet him/her in the evening right before dinner, when they start their evening shift.

:D

i must be going on the RIGHT cruises as i can't remember going on a cruise where the steward didnt come by within 15 minutes to proudly show me where the bathroom was HAHA!!! and give me a number to contact them for specific problems but i only book verandas and suites so maybe that's the key.... in my opinion there are many issues on cruise ships but having the steward coming by your cabin on embarkation day to make sure you know who to tip is NOT one of them

I prefer letting the cabin steward do it. That way, should I get charged for something missing, I can honestly say I didn't touch anything. They do it all the time. Most folks want the stuff gone. Another thing X should do, make it an option to choose - empty fridge or full - in your booking. Like dining selections.

I agreed with you about your option to choose an empty refrigerator or a full refrigerator in your on line booking process.

Yes. We order breakfast in room each morning therefore I need fridge to store what I want. Never buy items from fridge. Would have been on phone to report the locking or refusal to empty to head of housekeeping.

I think you misunderstood my question. We use the fridge for waters, etc, and for the ice bucket. My question was does anyone use the items that come in the mini-bar (snacks, sodas, etc)? They are incredibly expensive.

I like the suggestion of making the fridge full/empty an option like beds together or split apart. In 17 cruises I have never used anything from the mini-fridge

I think you misunderstood my question. We use the fridge for waters, etc, and for the ice bucket. My question was does anyone use the items that come in the mini-bar (snacks, sodas, etc)? They are incredibly expensive.

I like the suggestion of making the fridge full/empty an option like beds together or split apart. In 17 cruises I have never used anything from the mini-fridge

I like that suggestion too, but I doubt it will ever happen. For one thing, Celebrity doesn't make any money from the beds being separate or together; they DO make money when someone takes something from the minibar (inadvertently or through temptation or laziness or maybe the kids raid the fridge before someone can stop them...) Most people don't know that having it emptied is an option; if you give them a choice beforehand, a lot more cruisers will take that option, resulting in more work for the cabin crew...and yes, less income from the minibar items :D