Wine in carry-on or checked luggage?

rrshow

I read on another thread that there are signs in Port Canaveral that states, if you have bottles of wine in your checked luggage, that it must be pulled out and brought on the ship in your carry-on thus through security. True or false? We've always bubble wrapped and sent them on with the porter with our checked luggage. What is right/safest? TIA

I read on another thread that there are signs in Port Canaveral that states, if you have bottles of wine in your checked luggage, that it must be pulled out and brought on the ship in your carry-on thus through security. True or false? We've always bubble wrapped and sent them on with the porter with our checked luggage. What is right/safest? TIA

They ask that you carry it on.

You risk breakage in your checked luggage (The porters are not at all gentle with luggage)

You may be called to security to retrieve your luggage. They have the right to confiscate the wine and any other alcohol at that point.

As a fellow cruiser, I will just say this... If you put wine in your checked bag and it breaks and gets into my bag, you WILL be paying for cleaning and/or new clothes because your selfishness (and yes, not wanting to have to deal with carrying TWO WHOLE BOTTLES (OMG! The weight!!) around until your cabin is ready is SELFISH) is the reason they got wine on them.

As a fellow cruiser, I will just say this... If you put wine in your checked bag and it breaks and gets into my bag, you WILL be paying for cleaning and/or new clothes because your selfishness (and yes, not wanting to have to deal with carrying TWO WHOLE BOTTLES (OMG! The weight!!) around until your cabin is ready is SELFISH) is the reason they got wine on them.

there are SOOOO many ways to carry it on board with MINIMAL impact that there is no reason to check it, in MNSHO .

we always carry ours in the same camelback that we use in port. He carries the wine, I carry the documents and meds.

Absolutely carry on the bottles of wine. No problem. If sent thru checked luggage the luggage may be held in ship's holding room until you go down and then the luggage needs to be opened and they need ti make sure it isn't liquor or beer...

Thank you everyone for your posts. Looks like I'll be carrying it on. On another note...

Dear Sir or Madam, aka WrittenOnYourHeart,

I would never allow my lowly wine to impede on your silk threads. That is why I asked the question...to hear what was the safest way to transport...not to be deemed selfish. Why is it that so many threads on here turn into a name calling game? After several cruises of packing our wine in our suitcase, my husband and I haven't had any issues with wine breaking open. I am a young, physically fit woman who is fully capable of carrying 2-750 ml bottles of vino.

Edited by rrshow

you can send it through checked luggage, but chances are you will be inconvenienced when it is delayed getting to you. Best to carry it on like you are supposed to

When bringing it in your carry-on does security require you to pull the bottles out of the bag?

we have had it happen both ways.

once not because of the wine but because there was something about the way the light jacket was rolled up into the backpack that gave the screener looking at the X-ray pause.

I will however suggest that the CORKSCREW be checked. (we bring our own since the el cheapo freebie ones tend to break after one or two uses)

while most screeners will let them slide, we have had a few that did not and we had to run it back to the car.

• 4 weeks later...
So we could replenish the supply with 2 bottles at each port if needed?

Unfortunately no, the rules are 2 per CABIN only at embarkation (port where the cruise originates from). Any others brought onboard at ports along the way will be held for you until the end of the cruise.

We carry ours on in a canvas bottle bag from our local market. It holds 4 bottles so I usually put water in the other 2 places. They have asked to check them once in the last several years since they started allowing it.

And you buy your wine in port if your flying...not in your bags:rolleyes:

In all the times I have been through this port, I have never seen signs at Port Canaveral indicating that you must remove wine from your checked luggage. I have transported the wine both ways at PC & prefer to send it in my checked luggage, so I don't have to carry it. I've never had my luggage held because of this or had to visit the naughty room. Have a great trip. :)

In all the times I have been through this port, I have never seen signs at Port Canaveral indicating that you must remove wine from your checked luggage. I have transported the wine both ways at PC & prefer to send it in my checked luggage, so I don't have to carry it. I've never had my luggage held because of this or had to visit the naughty room. Have a great trip. :)

Dropped Laura off at T1 in PC and I didn't see any signs to that effect either