Completely Disappointed after two weeks on Allure

LEOwife

That's one of the worst answers I can imagine ... You put the "new, nervous" cabin steward down in some inside cabins on Deck 1 to get his experience .. not the $12,000 Family Suite !

And ... did u really schedule an 8am flight out of FLL?

So the people in the inside cabins don't deserve the same level of treatment as the people in the $12,000 suites???

On a TA our steward had a number of suites - we were close by but not in a suite. He was excellent and we often visited. He told us he was considered a senior steward. Had been on ships for many years and that suite, higher deck stewards were assigned and new people were on lower decks. Not sure if this was true, but he had no reason to lie.

If you were the supervisor, where would you put the new steward? In the suite or in the inside?

As a supervisor I would check to make sure they were doing things correctly. They're cleaning. Why does it matter what room? Every cabin should be cleaned with the same level of integrity. It all falls back on training and supervision. People need to get off their high horses around here.

As a supervisor I would check to make sure they were doing things correctly. They're cleaning. Why does it matter what room? Every cabin should be cleaned with the same level of integrity. It all falls back on training and supervision. People need to get off their high horses around here.

So wouldn't you start a new attendant in the smaller cabins? If indeed the cabin was that dirty and if indeed, that's what the supervisor said, then I don't believe the supervisor because I've never seen a new cabin attendant move right up to suite attendant but that's just my experience.

I would think that before the doctor made a diagnosis, he would want to verify that he was dealing with mold, which can be determined pretty quickly under a microscope, which he would have. Further, how would he know that the filter was the source of the mold, and not someplace else, like behind the walls of a cabin or in the carpeting?

And how exactly is the doctor going to examine the walls and carpet with his microscope down on his hands and knees ? Anyone can visually see if an area has mold.

Edited by 2CatsInFlorida

And how exactly is the doctor going to examine the walls and carpet with his microscope down on his hands and knees ? Anyone can visually see if an area has mold.

No, you take a scraping, or the filter to him, and he takes a scraping, and then sees if it is mold or not under a microscope. Anyone can see if an area has a white or black stain on it, but not whether that stain is mold. Particularly on an air filter, which is designed to collect particulate matter, and turn black while doing its job, I would challenge anyone to claim mold without actually seeing spores under the microscope.

Supervisors are not perfect. Personally, when I book a suite I expect better service of a higher quality than if I were to book an inside. That's why I am willing to pay a disproportionately higher amount for a suite.

No but a trained doctor looking at the photo and comparing that with the symptoms someone is showing can make a pretty educated guess don't you think?

I don't think it is that hard to identify that something "IS" mold. It may require microscopic and scientific investigation to determine the TYPE of mold- but I think a doctor could probably very easily identify the presence mold-even from a cell phone photo.

Supervisors are not perfect. Personally, when I book a suite I expect better service of a higher quality than if I were to book an inside. That's why I am willing to pay a disproportionately higher amount for a suite.

This is correct. not to mention the gratuity daily is higher for a suite. I think it stands to reason and makes perfect business sense. you always put your best people in place to protect the most revenue...

same reason they hand picked all the best wait staff for the coastal kitchen on the oasis and allure

so yes. I would expect better service in my suite than if i booked an inside (which I never will) .

This is correct. not to mention the gratuity daily is higher for a suite. I think it stands to reason and makes perfect business sense. you always put your best people in place to protect the most revenue...

same reason they hand picked all the best wait staff for the coastal kitchen on the oasis and allure

so yes. I would expect better service in my suite than if i booked an inside (which I never will) .

We're just off Oasis where we had the best steward we every had in our suite. When she found out our room service was overdue, she went to get it. When she found out my wife needed a makeup mirror, she loaned her one of hers. Several posters on cruise critic have also noted her professionalism. You certainly would not place her as a steward except serving suites.

I don't think it is that hard to identify that something "IS" mold. It may require microscopic and scientific investigation to determine the TYPE of mold- but I think a doctor could probably very easily identify the presence mold-even from a cell phone photo.

I was going to say the same thing. My husband is an expert on mold and indoor air quality. You can see mold! You may not be able to identify if it is toxic mold unless you are looking through a microscope. And no one is saying it was toxic mold!! There is a different between mold that is black and "black mold" that is toxic. Either way, mold can affect your health, especially if you have allergies or have other health risks.

So the people in the inside cabins don't deserve the same level of treatment as the people in the $12,000 suites???

Hate to sound elitist, but no, they don't. The people in those suites clearly pay more than their room is worth....in essence, they subsidize some of the better priced accommodations. They also pay higher automatic tips than the other staterooms. They expect, and deserve, a higher level of service. They paid for it.

I'm trying to repost the picture but it's not working from the cruise critic app :(

$12k for a suite, and that's what you get for air filtration. dirty/dusty / moldy HVAC components?

Wonder what was in the aC vents on Grandeur of the Seas, an older ship DW and I were just on.

Sorry you had a bad week. Get on the phone and call guest relations-shore side. $12k for a week and that is what you got? Unacceptable.

Btw....don't let the RCI loyalists diminish your bad experience. It sounds as though you had reasonable expectations for the $12k you spent, and those expectations were not met. Point= a clean and healthy room.

I was going to say the same thing. My husband is an expert on mold and indoor air quality. You can see mold! You may not be able to identify if it is toxic mold unless you are looking through a microscope. And no one is saying it was toxic mold!! There is a different between mold that is black and "black mold" that is toxic. Either way, mold can affect your health, especially if you have allergies or have other health risks.

I agree with you. It doesn't have to be Stachybotrys to be regular, dirty mold and affect people with allergies.

I'm trying to repost the picture but it's not working from the cruise critic app :(

And Allure came out of dry dock recently. You would think Royal would have done a deep cleaning of the entire ship. But, maintaining the vents and filters should be on a regular schedule, which obviously was missed in that cabin.

Also, we recently returned from the Allure transatlantic. We had a great time, but both concierges in the suite lounge were completely unimpressive. I don't know if you had the same ones.

Hate to sound elitist, but no, they don't. The people in those suites clearly pay more than their room is worth....in essence, they subsidize some of the better priced accommodations. They also pay higher automatic tips than the other staterooms. They expect, and deserve, a higher level of service. They paid for it.

Service, yes. But cleanliness is a basic expectation and all cabins should meet the same standards.

I would think that before the doctor made a diagnosis, he would want to verify that he was dealing with mold, which can be determined pretty quickly under a microscope, which he would have. Further, how would he know that the filter was the source of the mold, and not someplace else, like behind the walls of a cabin or in the carpeting?

Even if it was mold, I wouldn't think the doctor would admit that. How could the doctor tell mold from dust by a photo that small.

Sounds fishy to me.

Seriously?

Do lab technicians crawl around on the floor on their hands and knees with their microscopes when they test for mold?

What a silly visual.