Taking food on debarkation

prettyblue2

You are not allowed to take food off the ship at any port. In some ports hand bags and back packs are searched for food.

If you are disembarking at the end of a cruise then chances are you will have filled out a customs declaration. There is a place to declare food and most likely any fresh fruit would be confiscated.

You are not allowed to take food off the ship at any port. In some ports hand bags and back packs are searched for food.

If you are disembarking at the end of a cruise then chances are you will have filled out a customs declaration. There is a place to declare food and most likely any fresh fruit would be confiscated.

That being said, the individual boxes of cereal, or any factory sealed food would be okay in the US.

Unsealed food products and liquids(coffee , tea etc) aren't allowed of the ship in any port . Partially used bottles of water are OK.

Bottled water, either sealed or open, cannot be carried through airport security. If one wants water, they will have to finish their bottle or toss it before security or buy one in the secure area while waiting for their flight.

That being said, the individual boxes of cereal, or any factory sealed food would be okay in the US.[/QUOT

Some years ago I took a small Research Vessel to down to Jacksonville for drydocking. All of the food stuffs were frozen and were US product, purchased in Bermuda. You would think we bringing on some contaminated virus. They came on board with special suits, masks, BA... gloves to take the stuff away to be 'destroyed'. We then went to the nearest grocery shop to replenish with the exact same provisions and back in the same freezer.

Our flight home leaves at 3:45 pm. Am I allowed to take an apple and snack off the ship?

You will have to be off the ship by about 10:00 am and have plenty of time for lunch. An apple or box of cereal won't hold you over for very long.

Same as what others have said.

It doesnt have to do with what HAL will let you take off the ship. You could easily take what you want....but the issue is what you can legally bring into the US when you go through customs and immigration. Because you are coming in from international waters, you are not permitted to bring in plants, fruits, and other specified types of food. That is the issue.

That being said, the individual boxes of cereal, or any factory sealed food would be okay in the US.[/QUOT

Some years ago I took a small Research Vessel to down to Jacksonville for drydocking. All of the food stuffs were frozen and were US product, purchased in Bermuda. You would think we bringing on some contaminated virus. They came on board with special suits, masks, BA... gloves to take the stuff away to be 'destroyed'. We then went to the nearest grocery shop to replenish with the exact same provisions and back in the same freezer.

US ships go through the same thing all the time. If we return to a US port from a foreign voyage, all garbage is considered "foreign in nature" (even if we only stored in the US), and it all has to be double bagged and we're charged exorbitantly for this "hazardous waste". And this classification of "foreign nature" garbage stays for two years after the last foreign port call, unless we completely empty our foodstuffs and start over. That's the FDA for you.

US ships go through the same thing all the time. If we return to a US port from a foreign voyage, all garbage is considered "foreign in nature" (even if we only stored in the US), and it all has to be double bagged and we're charged exorbitantly for this "hazardous waste". And this classification of "foreign nature" garbage stays for two years after the last foreign port call, unless we completely empty our foodstuffs and start over. That's the FDA for you.

Thanks.

Calls at Long Beach... sometime to about a week we simply put in buckets on the after deck. I had a built a large collapsible ply box... 8 ft sq. Lined with a tarp to hold the rubbish. I tried to get the rubbish taken off for disposal but they were not allowed. So... as soon as we went to sea... outside limits... it was all dumped overboard. They were happy with that. In those days no incinerator.

Hello,

When you are going through the customs exit on departure day you'll see a large collection of confiscated fruit located where the customs guys are. Last time there was everything from apples and oranges to pineapple in the roundup. I hope that helps. I know it's quite a reality check when you go from 24 hour a day food to a chili dog in the airport. That's when I start dreaming of our next cruise.

Thanks,

Michael

Unsealed food products and liquids(coffee , tea etc) aren't allowed of the ship in any port . Partially used bottles of water are OK.

Does anyone know why coffee (brewed, not beans) would be prohibited? We've often picked up a coffee before heading ashore and have never been challenged. Not during disembarkation, but including US ports of call. I've googled the topic and see no prohibitions.

Does anyone know why coffee (brewed, not beans) would be prohibited? We've often picked up a coffee before heading ashore and have never been challenged. Not during disembarkation, but including US ports of call. I've googled the topic and see no prohibitions.

I'm not sure what the rules actually are, but both my brother and DH took coffee from the Explorations Cafe off at every port during our last Caribbean cruise. No one questioned it at the port stops. On the last morning, they did finish the drink before passing through airport security.

Your experience may be different in other areas of the world.

I don't know about brewed coffee, but we once had to stay on the ship to finish our soft-serve ice cream cones before they'd let us off. :confused: We thought we'd eat them while walking into town, but they wouldn't let us off with them.

Bottled water, either sealed or open, cannot be carried through airport security. If one wants water, they will have to finish their bottle or toss it before security or buy one in the secure area while waiting for their flight.

Savvy travelers carry an empty bottle through airport security and then fill it from a fountain.

Some airports I've been through now have actual bottle filling stations co-located with the drinking fountain.

MK-CB858_Water__DV_20130324173445.jpg

Savvy travelers carry an empty bottle through airport security and then fill it from a fountain.

Some airports I've been through now have actual bottle filling stations co-located with the drinking fountain.

We do this as well.