Where to stay in New Orleans

I'd recommend staying in one of the smaller hotels within the French Quarter rather than in the big chain hotels on Canal Street. A number of years ago we stayed at the Hotel Provincial on Chartres Street.

Taxis between the French Quarter and the airport are reasonably priced.

Edited by Underwatr

Take a taxi from the airport to the French Quarter/CBD. ($40 including tip). The hotels in the Warehouse/Convention center district are closest to the port (In the Riverwalk) but French Quarter and CBD hotels are good too. Many of the larger chains have shuttles which will take you to the port, but I like the charm of the smaller hotels, as mentioned in an earlier post. We like the Hotel St. James on Magazine St in the CBD and the French Market Inn on Decatur St, near Jackson Square, For a larger chain, we like the Hilton riverside. Hands down our favorite place to stay in New Orleans is t he Hotel Monteleone on Royal Street (Can be very pricey, but you can find good deals). Check the various booking websites - there are good deals to be had. Don't bother to rent a car in New Orleans; parking is very pricey and you can walk or take the streetcar virtually everywhere,

We were there last year and got a great deal through Priceline on their Express Deal. We used the Convention Center area and were able to get a nice hotel for under $100. If I recall the price of a taxi for 2 from the airport to the hotel was $25. We were close enough to walk to the port. We were there the last week of Feb. :cool:

My friend and I stayed a week at the Hampton Inn in the Garden District -- right on the trolley line. It's "reasonably" priced -- for New Orleans, that is :-) It's a gorgeous area but out of the very busy New Orleans proper. If I remember correctly, it's only about a 10- or 15-minute trolley ride to New Orleans.

Also I HIGHLY recommend eating at Oliver's -- in near the Quarter but off the beaten path. BEST okra and tomato smothered pork chops you will EVER put in your mouth!