A veteran NCL cruiser departs

Dolphins

I concur with your comments. We are platinum and my first cruise was the Epic. It was the best NCL cruise. Since then I've been on the Breakaway and Gem. I've also sailed Celebrity which was the number one cruise experience on the Silhouette. Cruising is clearly ala carte these days. We purchased the beverage package, and the past few cruises the dining package. In the past five or six years of my cruising, I've noticed major differences in the dining experience, especially in Cagney's and main dining. I will say Le Bistro has remained consistent. In the end, we find that we spend $$ in the ala carte and are booking other lines with more inclusive options. We're sailing the Getaway next month and it will likely be out last for a while on NCL. Typically we cruise at least twice per year. We like the casual atmosphere on NCL and they kind of lost me when they discontinued their delicious crab cakes in Cagney's It's funny that we tend to hold onto specific details on a cruise that make or break a decision, in addition to price points.

Crab cakes were not the only item discontinued from Cagney's former menu. They also eliminated their fabulous Oysters Rockefeller and their Prime Ribs.

I agree with you and remember NCL exactly the way you do. What is the alternative? I paid 18 % gratuity that a robot made on the Quantum of the Seas. ; ) My point is that I don't think NCL is the only line cutting back and charging more.

You are so right. Cruiselines seem to be competing with each other to see how they can get the most income from their passengers. There is a minor revolution going on at the Celebrity cruise critic message board over their latest revisions. I will just keep on looking for a cruise line that still resembles the good old days. When they start having trouble filling their ships, we may see a new version of "Freestyle Cruising"like the one that attracted us in the past.

What I'll never understand is why people defend the line as if they work there.

Maybe some do.

But the recent changes are giving people less-for-more and yet they defend NCL to the hilt.

While others attack the cruiseline for rumours of decisions which don't affect them, and may soon be reversed.

As long as there are attackers, there will be defenders.

Crab cakes were not the only item discontinued from Cagney's former menu. They also eliminated their fabulous Oysters Rockefeller and their Prime Ribs.

The oysters and prime rib were the reason we went to cagneys in 2011 on the jewel and ranted and raved about it to anyone who would listen

On our gem 1 nighter in2014 we went back because it was just 2 of us and it was still $30 and even with the new menu it was good. We had filet mignon

However I'm just not ever going back a la carte nor do we get the dining packages and I'm not paying 18% more. The menu is just not worth it to us.

You are so right. Cruiselines seem to be competing with each other to see how they can get the most income from their passengers. There is a minor revolution going on at the Celebrity cruise critic message board over their latest revisions. I will just keep on looking for a cruise line that still resembles the good old days. When they start having trouble filling their ships, we may see a new version of "Freestyle Cruising"like the one that attracted us in the past.

I will be checking out the celebrity boards so thanks for the heads up

I'll be looking elsewhere for my next cruise and wanted to give celebrity a try

Land vacays are starting to appeal to me again. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

While others attack the cruiseline for rumours of decisions which don't affect them, and may soon be reversed.

As long as there are attackers, there will be defenders.

Aw yes, the Yin and Yang of cruising.

I'm curious as to where people are going that are "done with NCL". Are they no longer going to cruise or are they heading to another line? If they think they will find things to be better on another line, think again. Every mass market line has threads about how things are not the same, cut backs, loss of perks, etc., etc., etc. Even some of the premium lines have the same complaints.;)

Lots of loyal cruisers from one line are going to be passing loyal cruisers from other lines all hoping to find something better. They'll be like ships passing in the night. Bad pun.:D:D:D

I'm curious as to where people are going that are "done with NCL". Are they no longer going to cruise or are they heading to another line? If they think they will find things to be better on another line, think again. Every mass market line has threads about how things are not the same, cut backs, loss of perks, etc., etc., etc. Even some of the premium lines have the same complaints.;)

Lots of loyal cruisers from one line are going to be passing loyal cruisers from other lines all hoping to find something better. They'll be like ships passing in the night. Bad pun.:D:D:D

There are changes and there are changes. The only thing keeping me from sailing with NCL, at least for now, is the price. If I go to book a cruise and NCL is close to the competition then I would book them. That being said I am happy with CCL if NCL is too pricey. If the day comes that I don't like CCL and there are no affordable options then yes, I would quit cruising.

I've always suggested moving up to Celebrity to those that are looking for a new line, but lately they have the same issues as those on here have - cutbacks, increase in prices, changes, etc.

I have been a frequent NCL Platinum cruiser since NCL started cruising year round out of New York. I have always applauded the innovations of NCL like Freestyle Dining and having the courage to sail year round out of New York. My introduction to NCL was on the Norwegian Dawn and I have wonderful memories of that ship. I enjoyed dining at Cagney's and Le Bistro at reasonable rates without mandatory gratuities added. I dined at La Cucina and the Tex-Mex specialty restaurants at no extra charge. I looked forward to lobster and prime ribs in the main dining room at no extra charge. A la carte dining was something uncomprehendable. I received room service 24 hours a day at no extra charge. I enjoyed an aft-facing balcony cabin at no extra charge. I enjoyed all the entertainment venues at no extra charge. I received VIP treatment from Hotel Directors like Klaus and Hugo. I felt the Dawn class ships were the ideal size especially embarking and debarking.

NCL today is almost unrecognizable from my early NCL experiences. Cruising was once touted as a bargain vacation with everything included at no extra charge. Sadly, those days appear to be gone forever and so am I. I will always treasure fond memories of many days on NCL but the current situation on NCL holds no attraction for me at all. Bon voyage.

Financial considerations aside, those WERE the days...the Dawn was family--you always saw many of the same crew, and they were always glad to see you--like "Cheers"--where everyone knew your name and were always glad you came. The advent of the big ships scattered everyone, took the intimacy of a smaller ship away, and nothing is the same. I miss it. I miss Hugo. But I still sail NCL for the fabulous officers and crew.

We are going on our first NCL cruise next October, and we switched from RCL because they are too expensive and NCL seems reasonable. Got a AFT giant balcony suite 7 days for LESS than what RCL charged for 5 days, Bermuda I should have mentioned. Plus we got the drink package which is insane. We hope to make NCL our main cruise line. We'll see what NCL is all about in October.

We are going on our first NCL cruise next October, and we switched from RCL because they are too expensive and NCL seems reasonable. Got a AFT giant balcony suite 7 days for LESS than what RCL charged for 5 days, Bermuda I should have mentioned. Plus we got the drink package which is insane. We hope to make NCL our main cruise line. We'll see what NCL is all about in October.

I hear ya. I really enjoy RCI and loved my cruise last month on Anthem, but they're becoming a poor value proposition as the only line I consider at the moment that is raising their prices without adding any inclusions (such as a beverage package). As I see it, all the lines are raising their prices, but if I'm paying a higher base fare I'd like to at least get a beverage package thrown in rather than just paying more for nothing... NCL still looks like a solid value for me, and I look forward to sailing Breakaway in May. Heck, I got an included UBP and four specially dinners for close to the same price as an Anthem 7 night sailing a few days later that included nothing. Anthem is a cooler ship with some mind-blowing features, but I've sailed her now and we had a blast last time on the BA!

Edited by Dave85

• 4 weeks later...
I'm sort of in the same boat as the OP. I want to cruise again but probably wont with NCL. For those of you that say the fees are just about choices is a big stretch. To charge for things that were once included is not great but acceptable. When you add it on top of big spikes in cruise fares, increased fees, service fees and reduced service...things add up. Then top it off with endless "free promos" that I don't want but increase the price of the cruise loses my interest. I used to say cruising was a great value. While it still can be a wonderful vacation, there is way better value for vacation dollars. As someone said earlier....NCL wants RCCL prices but Carnival experiences.

The problem is what was just said -Then top it off with endless "free promos" that I don't want but increase the price of the cruise loses my interest.

I don't want free drinks and don't want free dinners-they arent free if you are paying higher cruise fares to support them and addtl gratuities.

Maybe some do.

But the recent changes are giving people less-for-more and yet they defend NCL to the hilt.

It does amaze me when people defend any sort of company like they are their dearest relative

...I'm curious as to where people are going that are "done with NCL". Are they no longer going to cruise or are they heading to another line? ...

I am going to see how this upcoming cruise goes. But I would most likely stop cruising and strictly do land based vacations.

I guess MotleyFan and Maywell are gone from CC but are they gone from NCL? Given their staunch defence of everything NCL in the past, it would be ironic, wouldn't it?

I'm betting they are still fans and sailing NCL. I'm thinking they have just been banned from CC.

Harriet

Speaking personally, we have 'jumped ship' to Princess last summer (great cruise BTW), and we are trying out P&O at Easter.

When NCL stop buggering about with the train set we might try them again - it is not looking likely at the moment however. Having read some of the (now zapped) threads recently about NCL's attitude to their staff as well as their passengers, they have a lot of ground to catch up in our book.

I'm betting they are still fans and sailing NCL. I'm thinking they have just been banned from CC.

Harriet

I read on another thread that she had to stop posting because the company she works for does business with NCL. *shrug*

As for him, I have no idea what happened. He hasn't posted any videos ranting about anything cruise related.

Maybe some do.

Look at most of my posts. They are pro NCL, and I have no connection with the cruise line besides being a passenger. There is a huge hypocrisy of many on CC. It's completely strange to say so many negative things about the top execs and disparage without backing up diatribe with factual information.

My personal defense has always been NCL is repairing the damage to the line left behind from KS massive spending spree on new builds while neglecting the ships already in service.

Unfortunately, many here follow whom ever pours the Kool-Aide. And boy, do they drink it! Fact of the matter is my income come from the travel industry, as a result I need to attend as many national conferences regarding travel. especially the US cruise market.

That being said, I have been front and center when most of the top execs speak at these gatherings. As a result, you get a pretty good feel for who is and who is not popular. CC guidelines prevent me from saying exactly what capacity I'm in within the travel biz.

I'm direct, sometimes condescending and misunderstood, but believe me when I post something, there is truth behind it. So, it should not come as a shock when some people defend and retort when they feel fact is not being presented to the group as a whole.

I read on another thread that she had to stop posting because the company she works for does business with NCL. *shrug*

As for him, I have no idea what happened. He hasn't posted any videos ranting about anything cruise related.

That may very well be true however neither one of them is any longer listed as a member of cc. One can stop posting forever and still show up as a member

Harriet