Why I am Switching to HAL from Princess

Tom O.

After cruising with Princess for several years, we are switching to HAL for our next and hopefully future cruises. I thought I would share our reasons for doing this.

We cruised just once before on HAL, back in 2007, and really enjoyed it. But we stayed loyal to Princess after that.

We found Princess and HAL to be about the same in food and service. I have read here on this board that HAL food quality has declined in recent years, but I think this is true on most cruise lines, as they try to have competitive pricing, and encourage passengers to pay extra for specialty restaurants.

The reason for switching is that we prefer HAL's ships over Princess.

There are two problems with Princess ships:

1. Most Princess ships have a unique pyramid style shape. If you are looking at the ship from the front or back you can see this. Several decks are narrower than the deck below.This results in most balconies being not private. On most balconies you either have someone above you, who can see everything you do, or someone below you that you have to watch, or both.

There are some balconies that are private, but not many. We always wanted privacy, so we would need to be very careful which room we booked. We would never let Princess choose a room for us. Princess tries to keep this situation quiet, so they would not make public which balconies lack privacy. Also most TAs don't have this information (many are not even aware of it). It would require extensive research on our own to find the right cabin.

With HAL, we do not have to deal with this issue and can choose a room based on other criteria.

2.Ship size. Princess ships are getting bigger and bigger. I know that this is true for all cruise lines, but all current HAL ships are what I would call moderate size or smaller. We have discovered that we don't like ships that take more than 2,100 passengers. It is not that bigger ships are more crowded - there seems to be about the same ratio of public space per passenger as smaller ships. The problem occurs while in port. Suddenly there are thousands of people trying to use a small terminal. It is even worse if tenders are necessary - long lines to get off and back on the ship. And as ships get bigger, there will me more ports that require tenders, because the ship is too big to tie up to the pier.

Princess has 18 ships in its current fleet, 11 of these ships have more than 2100 passengers. Some of them much more.

All current HAL ships have 2100 or less passengers. I think the Vista class ships are just about the perfect size. I am currently booked on the Signature Class Nieuw Amsterdam, which is a little larger but still ok. I will not cruise on the Koningsdam when it is launched, it is too big (2600 passengers).

Other people have their own reasons for picking one cruise line over another. But these are our current thoughts.

Appreciate your insights as we are seriously considering cancelling a cruise on Regal to book a cruise on Oosterdam.

There are other issues with the balconies on Princess.

For example, on their newer ships, Regal and Royal, the balconies can only be described as miniscule. I believe most are 40 inches in depth. Yes, some are larger but the vast majority are not.

While most balconies lack privacy, another way to look at that is they also lack shade. At our age, privacy is far more important than privacy.

We've cruised Caribbean Princess, Regal Princess, Oasis and Freedom. We've found we like the smaller ships better.

Another reason we may switch is we can cruise HAL out of Tampa which cuts our drive time by four hours.

Pretty sure we'll be switching to HAL.

Very interested in other's opinion. Particularly about the food in the Lido. We actually prefer the buffet to the MDR, just more relaxing and more private.

We were Princess loyalist for years, occasionally trying out someone new, but always coming back. I must say though our cruise this past summer on the Eurodam was so wonderful that I am not even considering Princess at this time (And we were so close to become Elite!).

I love the smaller size, the passenger to space ratio seems better, the staff is wonderful, the glass roof over the main pool (Swimming possible in rainy weather!), the food was quite good.

I still like Princess, the Sanctuary is second to none on a Caribbean sailing, but my favorite ship (The Emerald) is being deployed away from the USA, and I have no desire to sail on the Royal or Regal. I will come back to Princess....eventually, and wondered why I stayed away so long.

I don't get the "pyramid argument.

Most cruise ships these days are boxy, looking more like container ships. Yes. one deck may have balconies that stick out (usually Dolphin deck on Princess and always Deck 4 on HAL's bigger ships). Then there are tapering at the stern that may make for uncovered balconies, but I don;t see any pyramid shapes.

We were Princess loyalist for years, occasionally trying out someone new, but always coming back. I must say though our cruise this past summer on the Eurodam was so wonderful that I am not even considering Princess at this time (And we were so close to become Elite!).

I love the smaller size, the passenger to space ratio seems better, the staff is wonderful, the glass roof over the main pool (Swimming possible in rainy weather!), the food was quite good.

I still like Princess, the Sanctuary is second to none on a Caribbean sailing, but my favorite ship (The Emerald) is being deployed away from the USA, and I have no desire to sail on the Royal or Regal. I will come back to Princess....eventually, and wondered why I stayed away so long.

If you cruise the NA or eurodam you might want to try a retreat cabana. I like the sanctuary but the cabanas are much better for around the same price.

I really appreciate the list of rewards on Princess.

Other than the free internet minutes, I don't see that Princess offers much of monetary value over HAL.

I have to admit to being surprised about that!

That's pretty much what I think. I've seen posters say that the princess perks are so much better. When I ask why I don't think anyone answers. I prefer the Hal perks overall. I'm at the same level on both lines.

If you cruise the NA or eurodam you might want to try a retreat cabana. I like the sanctuary but the cabanas are much better for around the same price.

I hope to have the opportunity to take a warm weather cruise on HAL and try out the cabanas. The only drawback is that the cabanas allow for families (i.e. CHILDREN!) while the Sanctuary is adult only. To be fair, some of the adults in the adult pool jus outside the Sanctuary area are louder than any child.

I hope to have the opportunity to take a warm weather cruise on HAL and try out the cabanas. The only drawback is that the cabanas allow for families (i.e. CHILDREN!) while the Sanctuary is adult only. To be fair, some of the adults in the adult pool jus outside the Sanctuary area are louder than any child.

I remember being in the sanctuary one time and these people were screaming at the pool every day. Normally it's quiet. I've found the retreat cabanas rarely have kids because they aren't by a pool. That said last time this couple had a baby up there but the baby was pretty quiet.

While most balconies lack privacy, another way to look at that is they also lack shade. At our age, privacy is far more important than privacy.

I am not sure which "privacy" above should be "shade," but balconies on the higher decks on the Regal are covered quite well by an overhang at the top of the ship, especially on the Marina deck (just below the Lido). The balconies are small, but enough to sit and read or watch the water. If you want to do calisthenics, you're out of luck. :)

Very interested in other's opinion. Particularly about the food in the Lido. We actually prefer the buffet to the MDR, just more relaxing and more private.

The buffet in the Regal is one of the best I've seen on any ship. Big, open, lots of selection, open for longer hours than HAL by a long shot.

The buffet in the Regal is one of the best I've seen on any ship. Big, open, lots of selection, open for longer hours than HAL by a long shot.

The Regal's layout is nice; the dessert section was good but I missed the breakfast selections you get on HAL, especially the egg benedict station and the made to order options. Since our charters have extended buffet hours, I can't comment on that. (They have food going past 2:30 am!)

That's pretty much what I think. I've seen posters say that the princess perks are so much better. When I ask why I don't think anyone answers. I prefer the Hal perks overall. I'm at the same level on both lines.

Thanks for pointing this out to me previously because it caused me to take more time to compare the 3-5 level HAL perks with those offered by Princess. HAL has many complimentary and reduced (discounts) fees for many items we would use once we reach those levels.

We don't have a lot of status so we don't get the high grade perks but the Princess military OBC ($100 seven day cruise) is a very nice perk not offered by HAL. It is also combinable with all other OBC.

Color me curious but what in the heck are people doing that they need that much privacy on their balcony?:eek: Welcome to Hal.:)

Privacy isn't all that important to us but shade is. A private balcony is a shady balcony and a shady balcony is a private balcony.

Color me curious but what in the heck are people doing that they need that much privacy on their balcony?:eek: Welcome to Hal.:)

I remember one thread when a person mentioned they could see their naked neighbours in the plexiglass reflection. She got torn to pieces by several posters. Other posters reported "getting busy" on the balcony. When I had the pinnacle suite one time I got asked if other people could see you in the hot tub on the balcony :D.

We don't have a lot of status so we don't get the high grade perks but the Princess military OBC ($100 seven day cruise) is a very nice perk not offered by HAL. It is also combinable with all other OBC.

I was speaking of loyalty perks only. It would be nice if Hal offered the military obc.

I remember one thread when a person mentioned they could see their naked neighbours in the plexiglass reflection. She got torn to pieces by several posters. Other posters reported "getting busy" on the balcony. When I had the pinnacle suite one time I got asked if other people could see you in the hot tub on the balcony :D.

I've seen a lot of questions about how much can be seen from the midship glass elevators on the HAL Vistas. Most replies are pretty funny, like "if you see me in the morning without makeup, that's your problem."

And now you've made me curious, can you be seen in your PS hot tub?

I am not sure which "privacy" above should be "shade," but balconies on the higher decks on the Regal are covered quite well by an overhang at the top of the ship, especially on the Marina deck (just below the Lido). The balconies are small, but enough to sit and read or watch the water. If you want to do calisthenics, you're out of luck. :)

I was trying to point out that privacy and shade are linked. Privacy produces shade and a shady balcony is a private balcony.

We liked Regal. We prefer the buffet over the MDR and the buffet on Regal was the best we've seen. As much as we liked Regal, the extremely small balconies are a deal killer unless we can book an owners suite on Riviera or Dolphin. These four balconies have shade and privacy and are very large.

I've seen a lot of questions about how much can be seen from the midship glass elevators on the HAL Vistas. Most replies are pretty funny, like "if you see me in the morning without makeup, that's your problem."

And now you've made me curious, can you be seen in your PS hot tub?

You most certainly can be seen in the hot tub on the Oosterdam. While people on your right side likely couldn't see you, you are in plain view of several cabins to the left. I'm very uptight about showing to much of my body and I didn't want to go out in a swimsuit. I tried to minimize trauma to other pax :D.

Recently sailed on REGAL PRINCESS' 10 night re-positioning cruise from NYC to Lauderdale...in a word, fantastic. Despite being a very large ship, she never felt crowded, we never had to wait in line for very long for anything, the food and service were top-notch, and the ship is beautiful. We had a standard balcony, and one night we did the Ultimate Balcony Dining....plenty of room, no problem. And no one could look down on our balcony (the ship does have a small section of balconies, midships, that fellow passengers can look down onto from the Sea Walk, but only on one side of the ship).

As far as long lines to get on and off the ship, they were non-existent. We stopped in St Thomas, Antigua, and Aruba. At all three places we walked right off and on. Also, in St Thomas, the ship docked at Crown Bay, and was the only ship there. There was no crowding in shops, and it wasn't a problem getting a taxi to the beach or downtown. The potential problems the OP talked about with regards to sailing on a larger ship simply didn't exist.

Also, both REGAL and ROYAL Princess' have a new category of balcony rooms, the Deluxe Balcony, and they do have sofas. Ours didn't and, to be honest, I prefer it that way....more room to roam. On my recent NOORDAM cruise, what was a nice size balcony room was reduced to a crowded closet with two chairs, a sofa, a coffee table, a make up table, and a nice size bed (which I loved). It was a lot more cramped than our room on REGAL PRINCESS.

Now, I'm not trying to sway the OP (or anyone else for that matter) to stick with Princess; I certainly understand and appreciate where he's coming from. I just wanted to give my opinion as someone who has sailed on the company's largest ship. People should know that the reasons he stated for not sailing on her are unfounded. She's not perfect, as she does have some quirks about her. But the positive definitely outshine the negatives.

Recently sailed on REGAL PRINCESS' 10 night re-positioning cruise from NYC to Lauderdale...in a word, fantastic. Despite being a very large ship, she never felt crowded, we never had to wait in line for very long for anything, the food and service were top-notch, and the ship is beautiful. We had a standard balcony, and one night we did the Ultimate Balcony Dining....plenty of room, no problem. And no one could look down on our balcony (the ship does have a small section of balconies, midships, that fellow passengers can look down onto from the Sea Walk, but only on one side of the ship).

As far as long lines to get on and off the ship, they were non-existent. We stopped in St Thomas, Antigua, and Aruba. At all three places we walked right off and on. Also, in St Thomas, the ship docked at Crown Bay, and was the only ship there. There was no crowding in shops, and it wasn't a problem getting a taxi to the beach or downtown. The potential problems the OP talked about with regards to sailing on a larger ship simply didn't exist.

Also, both REGAL and ROYAL Princess' have a new category of balcony rooms, the Deluxe Balcony, and they do have sofas. Ours didn't and, to be honest, I prefer it that way....more room to roam. On my recent NOORDAM cruise, what was a nice size balcony room was reduced to a crowded closet with two chairs, a sofa, a coffee table, a make up table, and a nice size bed (which I loved). It was a lot more cramped than our room on REGAL PRINCESS.

Now, I'm not trying to sway the OP (or anyone else for that matter) to stick with Princess; I certainly understand and appreciate where he's coming from. I just wanted to give my opinion as someone who has sailed on the company's largest ship. People should know that the reasons he stated for not sailing on her are unfounded. She's not perfect, as she does have some quirks about her. But the positive definitely outshine the negatives.

I apprecite you giving a first hand experience. I am interested in sailing on these 2 ships. A few years back I remember a poster saying how horrible the new ship was. When I asked specifically what they didn't like they said they hadn't been on the ship :D.