Cancellation - being charged unreduced deposit on "reduced deposit" cruise?

This doesn't provide any insight but I thought when one buys insurance and then cancels after final payment, one would only lose the $$ for insurance and get the rest refunded.

True, but only if cancelling for a covered reason, unless one has "cancel for any reason" coverage.

It's normal for full deposit to be required on the website. Royal has never bothered to program the website to handle reduced deposit promos.

As part of the recent updates, Royal's website *finally* accepts reduced deposits. I was able to book an OV cabin with a 50% reduced deposit this week. The website now displays the reduced deposit amount during the booking process, and the reduced amount was retained through to the payment portion of the reservation.

As part of the recent updates, Royal's website *finally* accepts reduced deposits. I was able to book an OV cabin with a 50% reduced deposit this week. The website now displays the reduced deposit amount during the booking process, and the reduced amount was retained through to the payment portion of the reservation.

Thanks, I appreciate the update.

I'm actually glad that someone posted this question because I had wondered the same thing. I reasoned that I should lose only the deposit that was agreed upon when I purchased the cruise. I figured that if I paid the deposit (reduced) and decided to cancel after final payment (before paying off the cruise) I would only lose whatever I had on deposit (provided I didn't put any other money towards the cruise). Simply because someone else paid off their cruise and then decided to cancel they should pay a higher deposit simply because the cash is there to take. I suppose the contract wording would also come into play but if the contract says that you will lose your deposit, then I would say it should be the deposit you made when you purchased your cruise.

I'm actually glad that someone posted this question because I had wondered the same thing. I reasoned that I should lose only the deposit that was agreed upon when I purchased the cruise. I figured that if I paid the deposit (reduced) and decided to cancel after final payment (before paying off the cruise) I would only lose whatever I had on deposit (provided I didn't put any other money towards the cruise). Simply because someone else paid off their cruise and then decided to cancel they should pay a higher deposit simply because the cash is there to take. I suppose the contract wording would also come into play but if the contract says that you will lose your deposit, then I would say it should be the deposit you made when you purchased your cruise.

After final payment you have paid off the cruise in full.

If you cancel before final payment 100% of whatever deposit you put down is fully refundable.

It's normal for full deposit to be required on the website. Royal has never bothered to program the website to handle reduced deposit promos.

Good to know. Paranoid me always paid the full deposit. I read too many stories on the Carnival boards about cancelled cruises because of reduced deposits. I've never read that about Royal so I guess they handle them a little better.

UPDATE as promised.

Spoke with Jerry, C&A. he said RC's view - though not stated anywhere publicly - is that a reduced deposit is really just a full deposit with the payment of the additional amounts deferred. He didn't have an answer when I asked why the ad for the promotion I took says "deposit reduced by 50%" and I mentioned that this was a bit like being told a sale price of "50% off" but reaching the register and being told it really meant "two easy payments of the full price." He also didn't have any citation to where this policy was published - just said it was "hardwired into his computer that the cancellation amount was $200" and he couldn't change it

In any event, I didn't beat him up about it because he is just doing his job and, as stated before, it's not worth putting more and more time into this over $100. So I had to cancel and will get a refund of my cruise price less $200, and I will chalk this up as a learning lesson about RC's advertising.

Thanks again to all,

M

UPDATE as promised.

Spoke with Jerry, C&A. he said RC's view - though not stated anywhere publicly - is that a reduced deposit is really just a full deposit with the payment of the additional amounts deferred. He didn't have an answer when I asked why the ad for the promotion I took says "deposit reduced by 50%" and I mentioned that this was a bit like being told a sale price of "50% off" but reaching the register and being told it really meant "two easy payments of the full price." He also didn't have any citation to where this policy was published - just said it was "hardwired into his computer that the cancellation amount was $200" and he couldn't change it

In any event, I didn't beat him up about it because he is just doing his job and, as stated before, it's not worth putting more and more time into this over $100. So I had to cancel and will get a refund of my cruise price less $200, and I will chalk this up as a learning lesson about RC's advertising.

Thanks again to all,

M

Thanks for the update, but I think you should continue this on up to top management, would cost you nothing. I think your reasoning is sound and shows a flaw in rci's terms.

At the least, maybe you would cause a change in the terms and conditions. Start with an email to the top, someone on hear has the proper email

Edited by setsail

Friends of ours had to cancel second of B2B Freedom cruises they were doing with us while on first because DH's dad died. They did complete that first cruise. They had been busy so didn't get non-RCI insurance they typically get so lost 100% of the cruise fare and only got back taxes/fees and prepaid gratuities. The service desk person who helped them out advise them to F/U with RCI's C&A as they're Diamond and they did so after the Dad's funeral.

We booked our upcoming Anthem cruise while on the second cruise and they wanted to do that one with us after hearing from us about this cruise. RCI asked them to send them a copy of the Dad's Obituary notice, which they did, and allowed them to use the full lost cruise fare as a credit for partial payment for the Anthem cruise for which full payment was due immediately as it was after the final payment date. ;)

Edited by robtulipe

So if someone has paid half of one of these supposedly deferred deposits then calls the day after final payment is due and cancels all they will lose is the half deposit that they have already paid as RCI has no way to get the extra half of the deposit out of you. If you have provided final payment and then cancel RCI gets the whole deposit. There seems to be something inherently wrong with a system where the amount of deposit forfeited can differ like that.

So if someone has paid half of one of these supposedly deferred deposits then calls the day after final payment is due and cancels all they will lose is the half deposit that they have already paid as RCI has no way to get the extra half of the deposit out of you. If you have provided final payment and then cancel RCI gets the whole deposit. There seems to be something inherently wrong with a system where the amount of deposit forfeited can differ like that.

I am not sure how it works, but I would think that if they hadn't paid by the date the payment is due, that the system would automatically cancel them. There wouldn't be any calling the day after to cancel. They would already be canceled.

Interesting, I booked Ovation whilst on Anthem - it was $100(£65) deposit and I was specifically told by the sales girl that they had an email from HQ saying if you then cancelled, you would *not* incur any further charges. I asked her to write a note to this effect in the booking.

Of course here in the UK you lose the deposit if you cancel and they charge you £75pp if you want to swap ship/date......:rolleyes:

I think there is confusion between reduced deposit and reduced cruise fare. On a normal, non promotion 7 day cruise a balcony cabin would require a $250 deposit to secure the reservation. Under the current promotions that amount is reduced to $125 to secure the reservation. The total amount of the cruise fare is the same in either instance. Deposit only refers to initial money paid to secure the reservation. Like other people I have always had a specific dollar amount connected to cancellations, never a descriptor such as "deposit amount"

I am not sure how it works, but I would think that if they hadn't paid by the date the payment is due, that the system would automatically cancel them. There wouldn't be any calling the day after to cancel. They would already be canceled.

Same difference. They would automatically cancel the reservation and keep the half deposit, right? And if you had paid a full deposit they would automatically cancel and keep the full deposit. Two different amounts being forfeited.

Same difference. They would automatically cancel the reservation and keep the half deposit, right? And if you had paid a full deposit they would automatically cancel and keep the full deposit. Two different amounts being forfeited.

Probably so and I guess RCI is the one that gets screwed when they only get to keep the half deposit and not the other way around. If somebody chooses to pay double the deposit because they want to, RCI doesn't keep that amount.

Probably so and I guess RCI is the one that gets screwed when they only get to keep the half deposit and not the other way around. If somebody chooses to pay double the deposit because they want to, RCI doesn't keep that amount.

I am not sure one can look at it as RCI getting screwed because someone took advantage of a promotion that RCI chose to offer and marketed as 50% of the usual deposit.

I don't think that's how it works. If you don't make final payment they cancel your reservation and they refund you your deposit. The deposit is forfeited once you cancel after final payment.

In England the deposit is £150pp. I am not confused at all. I want to know if I cancel, as per the OP, am I expected to pay more....given that I have paid £65 and not £300.

Sent from my iPad mini 4 using Tapatalk

Edited by little britain

In England the deposit is £150pp. I am not confused at all. I want to know if I cancel, as per the OP, am I expected to pay more....given that I have paid £65 and not £300.

Sent from my iPad mini 4 using Tapatalk

If you have only given Royal £65 and you are before final payment then you will lose the £65.

If you are after final payment you will lose the full deposit amount (not what you actually paid for the deposit) whatever that is.

That would make sense. So from RCI's perspective they are not really reducing the deposit but they are simply deferring the remainder of the deposit to be paid when the final payment is due. If that is the case then the OP is being charged appropriately for the cancellation.

If the advertising did not explicit state "reduced deposit", the argument might have merit. But the advertising is very clear, unambiguous, and lacking any fine print that suggests otherwise.

...So, yeah - legally, I think they're wrong, but, knowing I'm not realistically going to fight it up to the Supreme Court over $100, that's why I came for some practical thoughts/experiences from all you fine folks who may have some real-world experience with these things (this would only be my second RC cruise). Which you have all generously given me, and I sincerely appreciate. :)

M

Sadly the only reasonable course.

I learned some time ago to never believe any promotional claim. Especially those of cruise lines. Once one finally locates the fine print and wades through it, most promotions turn out to be much less generous that implied. And then, as you unfortunately found out, even if the fine print doesn't cover it, even if it directly contradicts the printed promise, cruise lines do what they want.

When someone tells me "that is the way the computer does it" I generally take a breath and count slowly to 10. Then I calmly tell them that is irrelevant. The fact that a tool does not work correctly is their problem, not mine.

If enough people write their attorney general or consumer protection agency, there is a tiny chance that one of these agencies might encourage more responsible cruise line behavior.

i don't think that's how it works. If you don't make final payment they cancel your reservation and they refund you your deposit. The deposit is forfeited once you cancel after final payment.

are you sure? Perhaps you need to do some homework .

are you sure? Perhaps you need to do some homework .

I am unclear on your statement. The terms & conditions are pretty clear that if you cancel after final payment and before the next (higher) penalty date, you forfeit your deposit.

I think the discussion is about what amount in dollars constitutes the deposit, versus the amount being forfeited. :)

If you don't make final payment and final payment date has passed, Royal will cancel the reservation and will not refund your deposit. They used to give you five days grace after final payment date for you to make the deposit, but they don't do that any longer. You miss the final payment date, you forfeit your deposit.

Edited by billsgal

If you don't make final payment and final payment date has passed, Royal will cancel the reservation and will not refund your deposit. They used to give you five days grace after final payment date for you to make the deposit, but they don't do that any longer. You miss the final payment date, you forfeit your deposit.

Somehow, I am not surprised by that. :rolleyes: I don't know about other cruise lines, but everything about Royal Caribbean lately, seems to be "So how can we obtain and keep more money?".

Edited by Coralc

Somehow, I am not surprised by that. :rolleyes: I don't know about other cruise lines, but everything about Royal Caribbean lately, seems to be "So how can we obtain and keep more money?".

This is why I never pay off cruises early. I like to have as little money at risk as possible and I get nothing in return for giving RCI my money sooner. I never understand why some people like to make periodic payments or pay off a cruise before they have to. I much prefer to have my money in my back account as opposed to RCI's bank account.

It now appears that booking under reduced deposit promotions is another good reason to not give up your money sooner than you need to.

Edited by Ocean Boy