Balcony cabin for Panama canal??

js4rq

Hi, we are looking at doing a Panama canal cruise on Coral Princess in October instead of Western Caribbean on Allure of the Seas.

We first had a balcony cabin for our Mexican Riviera cruise and loved it so much, we haven't looked back!! And now we are undecided whether we should go for an oceanview or balcony cabin for the partial transit cruise.

The difference in price is $500 altogether for 2 adults between the cheapest unobstructed and a BE balcony cabin. It's a hard decision to make! lol

From what I've read, if booking a balcony cabin, the BE cabin category is the one to go for??

We were thinking of booking an oceanview cabin now before the "Twice as nice" sale on 10 December and see if our booking can be enhanced by the "Twice as nice" sale. From past experience, prices usually goes up in the promotion! And we don't really want to wait until the end of the sale to be able to make a booking anyhow.

Thoughts?? :)

Edited by js4rq

We have done both the in/out canal and through canal cruises. Like you we were given a balcony on our second cruise and became instantly spoiled so it is balcony for us. On your cruise the ship will start entering the canal area about 5 AM or so and probably will transit the Gatin locks at 7ish. You definitely want to be outside to see the approach and the three locks the ship will have to use. Depending on which side they allow the ship to transit the locks another ship, usually cargo, will be on your port or starboard side. The locks are dual so two ships at a time can transit them.

If you stay onboard the ship and not take any excursions the ship will re-enter the locks to go back to the Caribbean. The ship will enter Gatun lake, make an immediate turn to port and approach a pier not far from the locks. Pax will then tender to the pier for their excursions and rejoin the ship later that day after the ship has transited the locks back to the Caribbean.

If you want to do an excursion, book very early as soon as possible as the excursions fill up fast. Usually well before you sail all the excursions will be booked.

I had an OV for my first transit, and we had an inside for the second. I don't feel I missed anything. Our next cruise involves a partial transit, and I booked a balcony only because it is a 14 day cruise with 7 sea days and I know my sister will want to sit out on it. Most of the times we have had a balcony, we hardly used it. EM

A lot depends on your own choice, how much you wish to spend, and how much you like the balcony experience for the days you are not in the canal. My advice, don't book a balcony cabin for the sole purpose of viewing the canal transit. We have taken two partial transits and two full transits of the canal. The best views are not from one's balcony but from the open upper decks. The Coral Princess has excellent viewing areas all over the upper decks including the popular forward area on deck 15 as well as the aft area on deck 17, Place yourself near one of the speakers where you will hear the narration. The Coral Princess also has good views from inside the Horizon Ct. Buffet area, but you probably will not be able to get a seat. It takes a few hours (really early in the morning around 6am) to approach and transit the locks into Gatun Lake. So you have time to move around and get a 360 degree view. There are also some interesting viewing areas all the way forward and through the doors on decks 11 and 10, standing only, no chairs.

As far as a Cat. BE cabin goes this is a nice choice. See if you can book one with a larger balcony such as C316, C317. Since BE is a lower cat. balcony cabin, there is a chance Princess will upgrade you.

Edited by sknight

Hi, we are looking at doing a Panama canal cruise on Coral Princess in October instead of Western Caribbean on Allure of the Seas.

We first had a balcony cabin for our Mexican Riviera cruise and loved it so much, we haven't looked back!! And now we are undecided whether we should go for an oceanview or balcony cabin for the partial transit cruise.

The difference in price is $500 altogether for 2 adults between the cheapest unobstructed and a BE balcony cabin. It's a hard decision to make! lol

From what I've read, if booking a balcony cabin, the BE cabin category is the one to go for??

We were thinking of booking an oceanview cabin now before the "Twice as nice" sale on 10 December and see if our booking can be enhanced by the "Twice as nice" sale. From past experience, prices usually goes up in the promotion! And we don't really want to wait until the end of the sale to be able to make a booking anyhow.

Thoughts?? :)

Full transit or partial?

You will NOT want to "sit all day on your balcony" during the transit....you will miss too much! You'll need to roam about the ship while you're going thru the canal....different deck levels give you an entirely different perspective! Front of ship...back of ship....all sides....you must move about to get the real experience!!!

That said...I'd rather have a balcony....not so much for the canal, but for other ports and times!

Edited by cb at sea

We will try to book a balcony every chance we get, however, if there is a big price difference we will book an inside. We sailed on the Coral last March for the partial Panama Canal and booked an inside due to the price difference. We did not regret it for one second because you need to move around the ship as it goes through the locks. The aft areas of the Coral on certain decks are almost like a private balcony - we loved it!!! Save the money and put it towards excursions!!

Whatever you choose, you will have a fantastic cruise!

Musky Ike - Now that is an interesting view!! :)

A lot depends on your own choice, how much you wish to spend, and how much you like the balcony experience for the days you are not in the canal. My advice, don't book a balcony cabin for the sole purpose of viewing the canal transit. We have taken two partial transits and two full transits of the canal. The best views are not from one's balcony but from the open upper decks. The Coral Princess has excellent viewing areas all over the upper decks including the popular forward area on deck 15 as well as the aft area on deck 17, Place yourself near one of the speakers where you will hear the narration. The Coral Princess also has good views from inside the Horizon Ct. Buffet area, but you probably will not be able to get a seat. It takes a few hours (really early in the morning around 6am) to approach and transit the locks into Gatun Lake. So you have time to move around and get a 360 degree view. There are also some interesting viewing areas all the way forward and through the doors on decks 11 and 10, standing only, no chairs.

As far as a Cat. BE cabin goes this is a nice choice. See if you can book one with a larger balcony such as C316, C317. Since BE is a lower cat. balcony cabin, there is a chance Princess will upgrade you.

Thanks for the balcony cabin tip! :D I will look into it - although C316 and C317 does not appear to be available.

Full transit or partial?

Essiemom is correct, we are looking at the partial transit cruise.

Edited by js4rq

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and thoughts, it is greatly appreciated! :D

The balcony would be for sea days & relax and enjoy the sunrise and sunsets etc. We would be outside for viewing the canal transit.

We will go for the OB unobstructed oceanview cabin. $500 extra for a balcony for 2 people is pretty good (and tempting lol) but we will see if this particular sailing is in the "Twice as nice" sale.

We will continue monitoring balcony cabin prices. I had a look at other sailings in the next few months, and the balcony cabins are either all sold out or prices have dropped slightly.

We will definitely book the excursions we want to do as soon as possible.

Thanks again! :cool: