Beware drinks package Eclipse

EDF

Hello.

Having just recently returned from my first Celebrity cruise aboard Eclipse I had an issue. I had a classic drinks package, so I check on their UK website as to the price restrictions that went with it. Once on board looking at a price list I saw that as far as I could understand my Classic package would cover very little so reluctantly I upgraded to premium. Later in the cruise I saw a flyer with package prices on which were different fro the website. I went to guest relations to voice my concern and on my return e mailed customer relations. The reply I received was strange ion the least, the said that at the time I e mailed all prices were show as being correct which I disputed and also that they had no way of checking that I had used the package to get drinks etc. I replied to this email and eventually received another answer which basically said they would not take any responsibility for the errors I have made them aware of. I was also informed that the prices that Eclipse show included gratuities and it's the only ship in the fleet which does this and that any drinks received show as a zero amount which I understand but surely they must have a more accurate record for accounting and stock taking purposes. Therefore I would warn any future Eclipse passengers to be aware of this as Celebrity are unwilling to accept any responsibility. Also they told me that my complaint at guest relations had not been logged even though the crew member said he would see to this, they was offer of them contacting the crew member as I had given them his name. I therefore conclude that customer relations is a waste of time and they are not interested in rectifying any passenger issues.

David

Hi David

Not sure if your gripe is that you upgraded to premium when you didn't need to or if you are just upset with response with customer services ?

I've been on Eclipse and had the classic drinks package and also upgraded to premium- tbh the easiest way to decide if you need to upgrade is if you're a fancy cocktail drinker/martini bar or higher end wines and top shelf spirits then the upgrade to premium is usually well worth it. If you are happy with most standard beers and standards spirits and mixers, Gordon's, Smirnoff etc and the basic "house" wine offerings (always a white, red and sparkling in all bars and restaurants included in classic package) then stick with the classic.

In future I would suggest if you have the classic package just ask the barman and wine waiters in the restaurant what is covered before you upgrade, also customer services on the ship usually have lists of what is included in each of the drinks packages.

Not sure you can blame customer services after you've left the ship and with a few questions on the ship aimed at bar staff or restaurant waiters you probably could have saved the upgrade cost.

There must be at least one drinks package question raised on cc every day and with hindsight a little research before boarding the ship may have save you the stress on the ship and afterwards.

This really isn't a "blame the poster" issue. He looked at the price list that he found in a public space and made his decision based on that price sheet. That's very easy to understand.....he had no reason to verify the list.

I don't know the time line...but had he gone to guest services the first night or even the next day explaining the situation, someone should have just refunded at least the remaining difference and cancel out the upgrade. Admittedly, sometimes there's no one who actually thinks about issues at guest services...they just have memorized the "rules".....Many of us have had that response (and know how to escalate to someone who is rational).

Sorry this happened....hopefully the OP took advantage of the availability of better drinks during the cruise. The $ amount isn't huge....but I can understand the OP's frustration.

The issue is: he upgraded due to a drink menu he saw posted on the ship....thinking his classic package wouldn't cover the drinks he wanted. After paying for the "upgrade", he found out the menu prices were incorrect and he could have gotten by with the lower priced package.....and they wouldn't refund the upgraded cost.

This really isn't a "blame the poster" issue. He looked at the price list that he found in a public space and made his decision based on that price sheet. That's very easy to understand.....he had no reason to verify the list.

I don't know the time line...but had he gone to guest services the first night or even the next day explaining the situation, someone should have just refunded at least the remaining difference and cancel out the upgrade. Admittedly, sometimes there's no one who actually thinks about issues at guest services...they just have memorized the "rules".....Many of us have had that response (and know how to escalate to someone who is rational).

Sorry this happened....hopefully the OP took advantage of the availability of better drinks during the cruise. The $ amount isn't huge....but I can understand the OP's frustration.

Don't think I was "blaming the poster", however I was asking what his gripe was and also trying to make suggestions to him and others of how it could be avoided in future.

I get frustrated when someone comes on here blaming everyone else about how bad their experience was when a little research or a simple question prior to spending money would avoid unnecessary costs

Apologies to the OP if I sound like I'm having a go but really what is the issue here ?

[quote name=ghstudio;48458367 Admittedly' date=' sometimes there's no one who actually thinks about issues at guest services...they just have memorized the "rules".....Many of us have had that response (and know how to escalate to someone who is rational).

[/quote]

Which would be a normal escalation, i.e. Supervisor or senior officer? Or something else that I DON'T know?

Food and Beverage Manager would be my choice...or guest services manager.

Guest relations can downgrade a drink package and if only in place for a day or two have seen them refund the entire cost of the upgrade.

I too am confused regarding the OPs problem. Seems some is related to gratuities and others what was included. On drink packages it always seems to be needed to check and ask lots of question BEFORE changing. Looking at the drink menus is certainly necessary and upgrading before one is onboard is really wrong.

Drink menu prices will vary depending whether Eclipse was still in Europe or the Caribbean. In Europe, 18% is automatically added to the prices, due to taxes.

Could it be that the OP saw a list which had not been changed that should have been, as Eclipse recently left Europe (Nov 1st, arrived in Miami Nov 15th)

If I understand the OP's post correctly, there are two issues. The first is that before boarding he went on to the website, where prices are given exclusive of gratuities, and checked the price restrictions on the classic package (beers up to $6, wines up to $9, etc), but when he boarded Eclipse at Southampton and read the drinks price list (which shows the higher price including gratuities) he concluded there were very few drinks that would be covered under his classic package and so upgraded to premium. He later discovered that the drinks he had consumed would all have been covered under the classic package and that he upgraded unnecessarily. If that is what happened it is unfortunate, but I am surprised the OP did not have a word with one of the bar servers before making the decision to upgrade, to clarify what drinks were actually available under his classic package.

The other issue seems to be that the pricing shown for the packages on a flyer on the ship was different from the pricing on the website. If I remember correctly, the package prices have varied from time to time and sometimes the cost to upgrade on the ship is more than upgrading before departure (I don't know if that is the case at the moment), so this could explain the discrepancy.

I think there have been misunderstandings on the OP's part and I can see why he is upset, but IMO the best chance of sorting it out would have been on the ship.

Edited by Suzy Smith

Drink menu prices will vary depending whether Eclipse was still in Europe or the Caribbean. In Europe, 18% is automatically added to the prices, due to taxes.

Could it be that the OP saw a list which had not been changed that should have been, as Eclipse recently left Europe (Nov 1st, arrived in Miami Nov 15th)

Have never seen the gratitude been included on any drink lists.

Which would be a normal escalation, i.e. Supervisor or senior officer? Or something else that I DON'T know?

Even though it may not be politically correct or good manners, I always start at the top and work down. I start with Hotel Director or Food and Bev. manager or if cabin issue with Head of Housekeeping. The guest relations staff you speak with have NO authority to make changes.

UK consumer law requires it. So, drinks on sailings from the UK seem to be circa. 20% more expensive. This often causes such confusion.

Stuart

Some cruises from the UK show the "total price" which includes the gratuity...but it's only some. Transatlantics to/from the UK are priced without the gratuity added.

Some cruises from the UK show the "total price" which includes the gratuity...but it's only some. Transatlantics to/from the UK are priced without the gratuity added.

Just back from the Eclipse TA (superb) and the gratuities were included on the bar menus. When we first boarded and saw the prices, I nearly became teetotal, until it was pointed out to me that on this sailing, prices were inclusive of gratuity [emoji2]

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Just back from the Eclipse TA (superb) and the gratuities were included on the bar menus. When we first boarded and saw the prices' date=' I nearly became teetotal, until it was pointed out to me that on this sailing, prices were inclusive of gratuity [emoji2']

We've been on three TA's to/from the UK and always saw the lower prices plus gratuities. I guess that changed this year.

We've been on three TA's to/from the UK and always saw the lower prices plus gratuities. I guess that changed this year.

Same here, that's why I needed smelling salts when I first saw the prices[emoji6]

Guest relations can downgrade a drink package and if only in place for a day or two have seen them refund the entire cost of the upgrade.

I too am confused regarding the OPs problem. Seems some is related to gratuities and others what was included. On drink packages it always seems to be needed to check and ask lots of question BEFORE changing. Looking at the drink menus is certainly necessary and upgrading before one is onboard is really wrong.

HI ,

Many questions were asked and were answered with well the premium is the best package. Visiting guest rations was a waste of time as the person there aid that he could nothing about it. At no time was it explained that prices onboard Eclipse on my cruise included gratuities as past to the price structure, was also told that the displayed prices had been that for at least 2 years here again no mention of inc grants. It seems to me that most of the crew have no idea what includes what and don't care about it either.

I'm guessing a that's exactly it.

The OP was on the roll call for the Eclipse Canaries cruise which departed from Southampton on 21 October, so the drinks price list which included gratuities would be the correct one for that sailing.

He is also on a roll call for a transatlantic in April next year, where, in July, he asked: "Just a question concerning drinks packages. I understand there is a limit on the cost that is covered with a package. Is the coverage the cost as shown in the menu or with the rip off 18%?" One of the other posters gave him a link to what is covered under the classic and premium packages, so I do find it surprising that he did not ask any questions of the bar server to check what was covered under his classic package before he upgraded.:confused:

UK consumer law requires it. So, drinks on sailings from the UK seem to be circa. 20% more expensive. This often causes such confusion.

Stuart

I just had a quick scout about the internet. I don't think there is anything in UK law. As long as you make sure, at the point of purchase. that the buyer is aware that tipping is compulsory, you comply. Even if it was the case most of the sales are made outwith the UK and UK law would not apply once you had left UK territorial waters. That is why you can sometimes get Spanish VAT added if in Spanish waters.

I am sure that Cruise companies are fed up with the attitude of some UK cruisers, when faced with the possibility of having to put their hand in their pocket to pay a tip. We will all have come across those. Every cruise I have sailed out of the UK on does this merging of the tip into the overall price. If you start from anywhere else the prices are lower but the tip is added.

Lets not drag this into another tipping thread that lasts for days.

Edited by Gordoncruickshank

I am sure that Cruise companies are fed up with the attitude of some Scottish cruisers, when faced with the possibility of having to put their hand in their pocket to pay a tip. We will all have come across those.

Lets not drag this into another tipping thread that lasts for days.

You raised the subject, I don't blame you for not paying the gratuities but don't assume we are all like you.