Has FDR done anything to benefit cruisers?

CruiserRob

I like cruising. Glad I'm not so enamored of one cruiseline that I would give up cruising.

It isn't about being enamoured of one cruiseline for me. It is about NCL offering me exactly what I want from a cruiseline and what I want is not currently offered by any other line at present. Of the recent changes I am either not bothered at all by them or don't find them a deal breaker. Future changes will be a case of I'll wait and see what comes down the pipe and decide on it when that happens. I do like the sound of the new a la carte menus and look forward to sailing with them.

We also enjoy cruising but would be happy enough to go back to taking land based touring trips if NCL doesn't go there. We are cruising South America with NCL and will spend some time in Brazil on land touring too. The same goes for our future plan for Australia and New Zealand. I like that the itineraries are improving and hope that when the next lot of sailing is announced shortly it won't be just the same old boring stuff. I am sure there will be one ship doing something different.

It isn't about being enamoured of one cruiseline for me. It is about NCL offering me exactly what I want from a cruiseline and what I want is not currently offered by any other line at present. Of the recent changes I am either not bothered at all by them or don't find them a deal breaker. Future changes will be a case of I'll wait and see what comes down the pipe and decide on it when that happens. I do like the sound of the new a la carte menus and look forward to sailing with them.

We also enjoy cruising but would be happy enough to go back to taking land based touring trips if NCL doesn't go there. We are cruising South America with NCL and will spend some time in Brazil on land touring too. The same goes for our future plan for Australia and New Zealand. I like that the itineraries are improving and hope that when the next lot of sailing is announced shortly it won't be just the same old boring stuff. I am sure there will be one ship doing something different.

Well said. Great post!

In this case I can see why several posters show such, for lack of a better word, zeal for NCL and "leap" to their defense at the slightest provocation.

If this were my only avenue to cruise, because of the criteria listed by some posters, then yes I would be hard pressed to critique poorly this company.

I would also be quite concerned about serious changes that might cause me to leave NCL. Thus, I would be quite tolerant of NCL's more minor (even if others didn't view them this way) changes.

But I would be worried about where the product is going.

Again to each their own but I'm glad this is not the only cruise line that I find acceptable.

Like you say each to their own. I currently do not find other cruiselines offering what I want. You find many cruiselines that offer what you want but I don't. I don't find either what you think or what I think wrong in any way shape or form. It is what I want and what you want. I accept what you want as being fine as it is what you want but it doesn't have to be what I want.

I remember all those people who were never going to sail again because of no food in the cabins and room service charges. I didn't get why they were so vocal as we never take food to our room or order room service but they have a right to do what is best for their needs and I never said they were wrong to feel like that.

I am interested in which way the product is going too but I am not over concerned about something coming along that makes me say I am giving up cruising. I am not that excited by beaches and seeing the sea. I won't cry if I have to give up cruising and take my holidays on land, I do that as well as cruising anyway. So it is no big thing for us.

Change happens. Some is good some is not good but we all have choices we can make in response to any change. I think some can't understand why some people make choices that are different to their own ideal and insist on saying they are right. If you say you like a change you are labelled when in reality the person is just seeing things differently.

I respect that you have this opinion and am happy for you that you will choose another line if you need to. Please respect my opinion that no other line offers me the suites that NCL offers, the relaxed dress code and the choice of restaurants that NCL does. We, as a couple, do not do elegant or formal nights nor do we do dining with strangers or buffets/in-room dining.

Just for fun I went to the websites of about 8 or 9 other lines earlier this evening and checked out the dining options and dress codes. Not one offered what I want. So as long as NCL has what I want I will be happy to stay with them and when other cruiselines can accomodate my requirements I will probably sail with them too but at the moment they don't.

I'm sad that you are depressed, it is an awful illness to have.

I've been looking at the MSC Yacht club, they look amazing. Far less expensive than the Haven and people are reporting that the service is out of this world. They're not stuffy, they were even offering to match NCL latitude status with theirs.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

Spot on! One man's paradise is another mans' prison. What we all have in common is that we like to cruise. Good thing they're many options to choose from!

That is the most sensible post so far on this thread, thank you!

Your assertion is wrong. That is not the only answer I am willing to accept......If someone had so much as said "All staterooms come with upgraded toiletries" I'd have accepted that answer. If someone said 'The food is improved; they have gone from budgeting XYZ per day per guest to XYZ plus $3" I'd have accepted that answer.....

OK, here goes:

All staterooms come with upgraded toiletries

The food is improved; they have gone from budgeting XYZ per day per guest to XYZ plus $3

We are not NCL only cruisers, indeed have cruised on 12 different lines and 30+ cruises. Our last cruise was on Celebrity, in Asia, because at that time NCL had no presence in that region. We may, or not, have chosen NCL if they had offered that option.

We are booked on the 11 night Mar 15 San Fran to Hawaii PoA cruise, mainly because we did not like the idea of sailing 5 days each way on a SF return cruise...which a few other lines offer. Because we enjoy a few days at sea, this cruise meets our needs perfectly and still visits the various islands and to then have a few days in Honolulu before flying back. That suits our needs better than the usual PoA 7 night offering, and is a "one-off" type cruise until a further refurb of PoA in future years. The pricing, when we booked, was very good for PoA and better than the 7 night cruises so we are highly satisfied.

Another destination on our bucket list is Bermuda. We looked at all cruiselines offering that option, RCI is only a 5 day cruise from Baltimore with barely 2 days in Bermuda and the others did not provide as much port time as the NCL Breakaway from NYC. The pricing was also better than the other lines, and we got the 2 perks so it is win...win...win for that one also.

Incidentally, we understand full well that none of the above is anything to do with FDR and I am simply outlining our perspective on why NCL still works for these particular cruises! Some may argue that the PoA planned refit was a FDR initiative, but I guess it was ready for a refurb anyway. I do believe that some of the work will have his stamp on it, to be fair.

Does that mean we think NCL is perfect, no and no other cruiseline is...even the high-end lines. We will keep our options open for the Breakaway, and will not book air until after our PoA. If we decide that NCL has deteriorated to an unacceptable degree we can cancel, but we do not expect that.

It is our belief that all cruiseline offerings have deteriorated in recent years but, right now, cruising continues to deliver fantastic value and enables us to experience many destinations which we could never visit individually. We plan to continue cruising with the imperfect NCL brand, when it works for us ,and also some of the other imperfect cruiselines where they meet our travelling aspirations.

Edited by hamrag

We are not NCL only cruisers, indeed have cruised on 12 different lines and 30+ cruises. Our last cruise was on Celebrity, in Asia, because and at that time NCL had no presence in that region. We may, or not, have chosen NCL if they had offered that option.

We are booked on the Mar 15 San Fran to Hawaii PoA cruise, mainly because we did not like the idea of sailing 5 days each way on a SF return cruise...which a few other lines offer. Because we enjoy a few days at sea, this cruise meets our needs perfectly and also enables us to have a few days in Honolulu before flying back. The pricing, when we booked, was very good for PoA so highly satisfied.

Another destination on our bucket list is Bermuda. We looked at all cruiselines offering that option, RCI is only a 5 day cruise from Baltimore with barely 2 days in Bermuda and the others did not provide as much port time as the NCL Breakaway from NYC. The pricing was also better than the other lines, and we got the 2 perks so it is win...win...win for that one also.

Does that mean we think NCL is perfect, no and no other cruiseline is...even the high-end lines. We will keep our options open for the Breakaway, and will not book air until after our PoA. If we decide that NCL has deteriorated to an unacceptable degree we can cancel, but we do not expect that.

It is our belief that all cruiseline offerings have deteriorated in recent years but, right now, cruising delivers fantastic value and many destinations which we could never visit individually. We plan to continue cruising with the imperfect NCL brand, when it works for us and also some of the other imperfect cruiselines where they meet our travelling aspirations.

Not trying to compare or hijack, but I did the celebrity summit to Bermuda from NJ. It was the exact same schedule as the Breakaway. We sailed out of the harbor right before them, docked next to them for 3 days and followed them back. Even though it was one of Celebrity's older ships it was one of the nicest cruises I have ever taken. The service and food were excellent. I leave on the Breakaway this week (not Bermuda) and I am excited because it definitely peaked my interest and that was 3 summer ago :). I am not loyal to any line- I don't love Carnival, but sail on Celebrity, RCL, and NCL depending on ports and prices and ship feature.

We are not NCL only cruisers, indeed have cruised on 12 different lines and 30+ cruises. Our last cruise was on Celebrity, in Asia, because at that time NCL had no presence in that region. We may, or not, have chosen NCL if they had offered that option.

We are booked on the 11 night Mar 15 San Fran to Hawaii PoA cruise, mainly because we did not like the idea of sailing 5 days each way on a SF return cruise...which a few other lines offer. Because we enjoy a few days at sea, this cruise meets our needs perfectly and still visits the various islands and to then have a few days in Honolulu before flying back. That suits our needs better than the usual PoA 7 night offering, and is a "one-off" type cruise until a further refurb of PoA in future years. The pricing, when we booked, was very good for PoA and better than the 7 night cruises so we are highly satisfied.

It is our belief that all cruiseline offerings have deteriorated in recent years but, right now, cruising continues to deliver fantastic value and enables us to experience many destinations which we could never visit individually. We plan to continue cruising with the imperfect NCL brand, when it works for us ,and also some of the other imperfect cruiselines where they meet our travelling aspirations.

Agree

...I did the celebrity summit to Bermuda from NJ. It was the exact same schedule as the Breakaway. We sailed out of the harbor right before them, docked next to them for 3 days and followed them back. Even though it was one of Celebrity's older ships it was one of the nicest cruises I have ever taken. The service and food were excellent. I leave on the Breakaway this week (not Bermuda) and I am excited because it definitely peaked my interest and that was 3 summer ago :). I am not loyal to any line- I don't love Carnival, but sail on Celebrity, RCL, and NCL depending on ports and prices and ship feature.

Our date is early October so, unfortunately, Celebrity was not an option as the ship is sailing elsewhere (Caribbean, I think?). The other options from the Eastern seaboard were a Carnival ship, RCI Anthem from NJ (only 5 nights), RCI Grandeur from Baltimore (5 nights), and NCL Dawn from Boston.

Breakaway had the longest time in port, which was our critical factor, and also very good pricing. We do enjoy Celebrity as a cruiseline, but noticed in February this year that it's product had deteriorated from our previous experiences with them.....just like the other cruiselines.

Yes, NCL still offers a good product and many enjoy fantastic times with them. The question still remains what has Del Rio done to directly benefit cruisers and the answer appears to be not much (although changes are in the works that will benefit most cruisers). So my answer early in the thread remains the same- I have not read of any improvements that would cause me to spend the higher fares that I have been seeing.

I agree with you. NCL is and has always been an affordable family -friendly cruiseline. Mr. Del Rio may think that he can transform it into another Oceania or X, but I like NCL just the way it is.

Yes, he should upgrade and improve the older ships, keep up with maintenance and safety issues on all ships, keep crew staffing to a level where they are not feeling stressed out. If the UBP, is causing slower delivery times, hire more bartenders and servers to keep up with the higher demand.

I actually like the fact that he is investing in the older ships like the Jewel class. I was afraid that the mega-ship boom would mean many more Epic / Away style ships with their inward focus on Vegas resort style vacations rather than cruises. Now I see that those ships are perfect for the "milk run" itineraries that I am tired of, and the smaller ships are perfect for more varied itineraries.

Does everyone like that? Of course not. If you gave ten people gold bricks two would complain about the taxes, 1 would complain about the weight, and another 2 would complain about not getting more bricks.

Suite toiletries have been upgraded from Elemis to Bulgari. Both are quality products, but Bulgari is definitely more expensive.

Agreed. And as a direct result, I bought a new Bulgari watch....so that was a win. :o

I actually like the fact that he is investing in the older ships like the Jewel class. I was afraid that the mega-ship boom would mean many more Epic / Away style ships with their inward focus on Vegas resort style vacations rather than cruises. Now I see that those ships are perfect for the "milk run" itineraries that I am tired of, and the smaller ships are perfect for more varied itineraries.

Does everyone like that? Of course not. If you gave ten people gold bricks two would complain about the taxes, 1 would complain about the weight, and another 2 would complain about not getting more bricks.

I like that he is investing in the smaller ships. Even though I do like the larger ones it is nice to do a cruise on the Jewel class ships which I will be doing on the Jade soon.

Did you mean with investing in the smaller ships the ncl next program? i think the program starts befor FDR. or what did you mean?

I believe they are referring to Del Rio's plan to get every ship into the fleet for a major dry dock upgrade by 2017 except for the newer ships.

I've been looking at the MSC Yacht club, they look amazing. Far less expensive than the Haven and people are reporting that the service is out of this world. They're not stuffy, they were even offering to match NCL latitude status with theirs.

I booked next Christmas in the Divina yacht club. Much more reasonable and with the new 90 final payment coming out Jan 1 I get an extra 2 weeks with my money

I doubt there are many, if any who are opposed to the sprucing up of older ships. If there are, I’d love to read their reasoning on why cruising on an dilapidated ship is preferred.

Most everyone’s angst is over the shorter port times, poor service, increased fees, additional fees and the bait and switch tactics.