Grand Theft by Celebrity Employees Follow Up

Swank803

Some of you may recall I posted a couple weeks ago about a theft ring on the 11/28 Reflection sailing out of Miami. My thread has since been deleted but I wanted to give you guys a follow up. I was hoping I could come back on here and report a happy ending but I'm back to being stone-walled by Celebrity. Actually, stone-walled is the wrong word since they are now refusing to do anything else to rectify the situation.

A brief recap:

I had 4 items stolen from my backpack onboard the Reflection, a laptop, IPAD, Bluetooth speaker, and Bose Noise cancelling headphones. All but the headphones were returned to me by the end of the cruise. The IPAD however was missing the case and it stopped working before I got to the airport.

What I know as fact: Four Celebrity employees were detained on board and arrested once we got back to Miami by Miami Dade Police for the grand theft, third degree. It occurred during the security screening on board. (Yes I know it was foolish to check these items through security so no need to rub it in.) Third Degree theft means that the total value of the items was between $300 and $19,999. The deputy director of security said they recovered over 90 items but did not state how many were reported stolen. I can attest that not all items were returned. Numerous passengers were affected by the theft. Upon interviewing one of the suspects, Miami police were able to confirm that the employee that had my headphones destroyed them and threw them in the trash once the onboard investigation started.

The on board resolution: Three of my four items were returned to me by security. The IPAD case and the headphones were not returned. Celebrity offered us a free dinner in one of their specialty restaurants. The hotel director offered me a set of Beats by Dre headphones to replace my Bose headphones. I declined the offer since the Beats headphones do not have the same noise cancelling quality as my Bose. I was assured by the Hotel Director Niyazi Korkmaz, that I would be made whole by Celebirty for my loss. The Security Director, Anton, further assured us that Celebrity intended to take care of us during our meeting with Miami-Dade police prior to disembarking. My wife and I left the ship feeling comfortable that Celebrity would make this right for us. Anton indicated that I should follow up with guest relations upon returning home.

The follow up with Guest Relations: I have called them twice now. My first call to Sierra in guest relations was on 12/8. I had hoped she could tell me where they were at in the process but she denied any knowledge of the case and said it was in the hands of their global security team. She would not provide me with any way to contact the global security team directly and said that I should wait for a response from them. I did not receive any sort of response so I contacted guest relations again today and spoke with Michael. Again, I received the company line that it was in the hands of their global security team. When I asked him how long I should expect it to take to get my headphones replaced he told me that Celebrity does not replace stolen items. I questioned that policy since they did try to replace the item already, just with an inferior replacement. I also told him I expected some sort of compensation for half of my cruise being ruined by having to deal with this mess. After the theft I spent numerous hours meeting on board with Celebrity employees about the case as well as working to get passwords changed, credit cards cancelled, etc since personal information was compromised with the theft of the IPAD. This was no easy task considering how slow the onboard internet is. I'm still having to deal with Miami Dade police and the FL State Attorney General's office as the legal case proceeds. Michael said there would be no further action from Celebrity and explicitly stated they are refusing to replace the headphones, or offer any sort of compensation for a half ruined cruise. I asked if there was someone else I could speak to because I sincerely wanted to get this worked out without having to take this to the internet or get a lawyer involved. Michael again refused to offer any further assistance.

I really expected better from Celebrity here considering the scale of this theft, their negligence in allowing it to happen, and the impact it has had on the affected passengers. If someone from Celebrity is reading this and would like to work towards a resolution you can send me a private message through Cruise Critic. If not, let this be fair warning to other cruisers how Celebrity deals with their customers that were victims of felonies committed by their employees.

What a pain for you - I'm sorry to read this and hope they make things right for you. Not a great thing to read prior to our first Celebrity cruise and on Reflection out of Miami at that.

One question if I may: You said the items were stolen during the security screening on board? Does that mean that you put those items in your checked luggage and they were stolen prior to the luggage being delivered to your stateroom?

I generally carry both a laptop and a tablet on board, but do so in my carry on on bag, which doesn't leave my sight except for the few seconds through the xray machine at the port in Miami. Unless Celebrity has a different procedure for screening carry on bags?

Some of you may recall I posted a couple weeks ago about a theft ring on the 11/28 Reflection sailing out of Miami. My thread has since been deleted but I wanted to give you guys a follow up. I was hoping I could come back on here and report a happy ending but I'm back to being stone-walled by Celebrity. Actually, stone-walled is the wrong word since they are now refusing to do anything else to rectify the situation.

A brief recap:

I had 4 items stolen from my backpack onboard the Reflection, a laptop, IPAD, Bluetooth speaker, and Bose Noise cancelling headphones. All but the headphones were returned to me by the end of the cruise. The IPAD however was missing the case and it stopped working before I got to the airport.

What I know as fact: Four Celebrity employees were detained on board and arrested once we got back to Miami by Miami Dade Police for the grand theft, third degree. It occurred during the security screening on board. (Yes I know it was foolish to check these items through security so no need to rub it in.) Third Degree theft means that the total value of the items was between $300 and $19,999. The deputy director of security said they recovered over 90 items but did not state how many were reported stolen. I can attest that not all items were returned. Numerous passengers were affected by the theft. Upon interviewing one of the suspects, Miami police were able to confirm that the employee that had my headphones destroyed them and threw them in the trash once the onboard investigation started.

The on board resolution: Three of my four items were returned to me by security. The IPAD case and the headphones were not returned. Celebrity offered us a free dinner in one of their specialty restaurants. The hotel director offered me a set of Beats by Dre headphones to replace my Bose headphones. I declined the offer since the Beats headphones do not have the same noise cancelling quality as my Bose. I was assured by the Hotel Director Niyazi Korkmaz, that I would be made whole by Celebirty for my loss. The Security Director, Anton, further assured us that Celebrity intended to take care of us during our meeting with Miami-Dade police prior to disembarking. My wife and I left the ship feeling comfortable that Celebrity would make this right for us. Anton indicated that I should follow up with guest relations upon returning home.

The follow up with Guest Relations: I have called them twice now. My first call to Sierra in guest relations was on 12/8. I had hoped she could tell me where they were at in the process but she denied any knowledge of the case and said it was in the hands of their global security team. She would not provide me with any way to contact the global security team directly and said that I should wait for a response from them. I did not receive any sort of response so I contacted guest relations again today and spoke with Michael. Again, I received the company line that it was in the hands of their global security team. When I asked him how long I should expect it to take to get my headphones replaced he told me that Celebrity does not replace stolen items. I questioned that policy since they did try to replace the item already, just with an inferior replacement. I also told him I expected some sort of compensation for half of my cruise being ruined by having to deal with this mess. After the theft I spent numerous hours meeting on board with Celebrity employees about the case as well as working to get passwords changed, credit cards cancelled, etc since personal information was compromised with the theft of the IPAD. This was no easy task considering how slow the onboard internet is. I'm still having to deal with Miami Dade police and the FL State Attorney General's office as the legal case proceeds. Michael said there would be no further action from Celebrity and explicitly stated they are refusing to replace the headphones, or offer any sort of compensation for a half ruined cruise. I asked if there was someone else I could speak to because I sincerely wanted to get this worked out without having to take this to the internet or get a lawyer involved. Michael again refused to offer any further assistance.

I really expected better from Celebrity here considering the scale of this theft, their negligence in allowing it to happen, and the impact it has had on the affected passengers. If someone from Celebrity is reading this and would like to work towards a resolution you can send me a private message through Cruise Critic. If not, let this be fair warning to other cruisers how Celebrity deals with their customers that were victims of felonies committed by their employees.

What a pain for you - I'm sorry to read this and hope they make things right for you. Not a great thing to read prior to our first Celebrity cruise and on Reflection out of Miami at that.

One question if I may: You said the items were stolen during the security screening on board? Does that mean that you put those items in your checked luggage and they were stolen prior to the luggage being delivered to your stateroom?

I generally carry both a laptop and a tablet on board, but do so in my carry on on bag, which doesn't leave my sight except for the few seconds through the xray machine at the port in Miami. Unless Celebrity has a different procedure for screening carry on bags?

Yes, the items were in a backpack that I checked. The items were stolen during the onboard security screen before they were delivered to the room.

In retrospect I shouldn't have done that but the bag was heavy and I didn't feel like lugging it around. Nevertheless, I don't think that is an excuse for the items being stolen.

Thanks for clearing that up. Best of luck to you solving the issue with the company.

Yes, the items were in a backpack that I checked. The items were stolen during the onboard security screen before they were delivered to the room.

In retrospect I shouldn't have done that but the bag was heavy and I didn't feel like lugging it around. Nevertheless, I don't think that is an excuse for the items being stolen.

I recall the O.P.'s first thread and appreciate the follow up.

I like to learn from the posts on Cruise Critic, and my take away from this is that if someone on board makes a promise that I will be made whole, I'll get it in writing. While this may not necessarily preclude future distancing by Celebrity it will give me some support.

Celebrity made a commitment to the O.P., they need to keep that commitment.

I'd encourage the O.P. to use Social Media to it's full potential to hold Celebrity to account for their commitment.

glad this before it is also taken away. You have to wonder, how did the employees think they were going to get away with this. I wonder if they were at the end of their contracts and wanted a some final compensation? I hope Celebrity does follow up / compensate you. Out of curiosity, is there any thing in those cruise documents that most of us don't read about X NOT being responsible for items that go missing thru security? (As an aside, one of my clients got a large amount of cash passing thru JFK security - we reported it and of course, nothing. About two months later there was an article in the NYTimes about TSA agents being fired for theft.)

Not sure at all where the Florida AG comes into this particular picture, either.

I wonder if OP meant the Florida State's Attorney's Office, which is the local prosecuting authority, not the State Attorney General's Office. They sound similar.

Good luck to you OP. If Celebrity refuses to do anything this may be worth at least contacting a South Florida attorney over. I could see this case piquing an attorney's interest given the number of parties involved.

Edited by Dave85

I hope Celebrity takes note and contacts you with some better compensation.

Sad thing is, it should not take for you to publicize this for X to do the right thing.

It sounds like this was an exhausting process and I would also expect to be compensated for the cruise missed due to meetings, paperwork, etc.

I wish you the best!

To the OP, I remember your original post and at that time commented that insisting people give you answers/details when they either weren't privy to those or were not willing to release information (that may not have been any of your business) would only cause you frustration. I said that while your items were stolen, the police (or celebrity) would be under no obligation to provide you details of their investigation other than perhaps to let you know they were investigating and if your stolen items were found.

In this case you contacted Guest Relations and were told this was in the hands of the Global Security Team and to wait for a response from them. You tired of waiting and again called Guest Relations only to be told this was in the hands of the Global Security Team and when you pushed the rep for a response you didn't like their response (as someone who managed service reps, threating to go to the internet or a lawyer rarely give you the assistance you want).

Rather than wait for the Global Security Team to complete their investigation and perhaps honour the commitment to replace your items you pushed for a response that would probably not be within the normal duty of Guest relations.

I understand you tried to get a number to contact global security but were unable. That unfortunately doesn't mean that pushing them to respond to you will get you a correct answer.

At this point, I'd contact Captain's Club Assistance and Inquiries 800-760-0654. Even if you aren't a Captains Club member, this would be a good number to escalate your concern and to be put in touch with someone who may actually be familiar with your situation and response intelligently.

Getting the wrong answer from a person who isn't in a position to give you what you want, doesn't mean someone isn't truly working on your situation. Guest services deal with day to day issues/questions and this certainly isn't a day to day issue. And yes, while it would be nice that they put you in touch with Global Security, I'm guessing they have no idea how to do that. Contact Captains Club and ask for someone who can help to call you back... and please give them a few days to do that.

Edited by RickT

3 things never leave our sides, my jewelry, meds(in my carry on big bag) and Hubby's tech equipment in his backpack...no worries, I trust no one.:cool:

Nor do I. However the OP doesn't deserve to have his belongings stolen.

The standard procedure is to file a claim with your travel insurance provider. They will then work to collect the money from Celebrity. It's not clear why you want to be involved. Let the experts at your insurance company handle this and move on.

glad this before it is also taken away. You have to wonder, how did the employees think they were going to get away with this. I wonder if they were at the end of their contracts and wanted a some final compensation? I hope Celebrity does follow up / compensate you. Out of curiosity, is there any thing in those cruise documents that most of us don't read about X NOT being responsible for items that go missing thru security? (As an aside, one of my clients got a large amount of cash passing thru JFK security - we reported it and of course, nothing. About two months later there was an article in the NYTimes about TSA agents being fired for theft.)

You hit the nail on the head. This was the last sailing for that crew before their 4 month break. (Confirmed by Guest Relations Manager and Hotel Director.) The perpetrators were trying to make a big score before they left.

There is some language in their contract that they are not responsible for theft. We all agree to it by purchasing a cruise from them. My attorney has advised me though that due to the scope and magnitude of this case, as well as the emotional impact it had on my wife there is a case for negligence. my wife was in tears and had to pop Xanax to keep from hyperventilating. I really didn't want to go the legal route but Celebrity has left me with no choice.

The standard procedure is to file a claim with your travel insurance provider. They will then work to collect the money from Celebrity. It's not clear why you want to be involved. Let the experts at your insurance company handle this and move on.

Good suggestion. Thanks.

To the OP, I remember your original post and at that time commented that insisting people give you answers/details when they either weren't privy to those or were not willing to release information (that may not have been any of your business) would only cause you frustration. I said that while your items were stolen, the police (or celebrity) would be under no obligation to provide you details of their investigation other than perhaps to let you know they were investigating and if your stolen items were found.

In this case you contacted Guest Relations and were told this was in the hands of the Global Security Team and to wait for a response from them. You tired of waiting and again called Guest Relations only to be told this was in the hands of the Global Security Team and when you pushed the rep for a response you didn't like their response (as someone who managed service reps, threating to go to the internet or a lawyer rarely give you the assistance you want).

Rather than wait for the Global Security Team to complete their investigation and perhaps honour the commitment to replace your items you pushed for a response that would probably not be within the normal duty of Guest relations.

I understand you tried to get a number to contact global security but were unable. That unfortunately doesn't mean that pushing them to respond to you will get you a correct answer.

At this point, I'd contact Captain's Club Assistance and Inquiries 800-760-0654. Even if you aren't a Captains Club member, this would be a good number to escalate your concern and to be put in touch with someone who may actually be familiar with your situation and response intelligently.

Getting the wrong answer from a person who isn't in a position to give you what you want, doesn't mean someone isn't truly working on your situation. Guest services deal with day to day issues/questions and this certainly isn't a day to day issue. And yes, while it would be nice that they put you in touch with Global Security, I'm guessing they have no idea how to do that. Contact Captains Club and ask for someone who can help to call you back... and please give them a few days to do that.

The people at Guest Relations' (or ANY customer service person for that matter) job is to provide the customer with SERVICE.

If you, as you say, "managed service reps" then surely you know how important it is to make people feel heard instead of ignored.

They may not have been able to answer the OP's questions or give him the number of Global Security but they could have offered to follow up for him and then , through their own supervisor, gotten some answers for him.

They left him feeling not heard when they should have done the opposite.

Edited by chamima

If Miami Dade arrested people and charged them, get copies of the reports. They're public information. They'll help to jog the memory of those people who can't remember.

The report isn't finalized yet but the case number is PD15-12-05-455160 if someone wants to check it out.

We booked our first Celebrity cruise and we're in our early 50s (or in my wife's case - 39.) It sounds like you're saying that the Celebrity passengers are doddering, on the verge of senility. I sure hope that's not the case. We still have time to cancel, but your post has me worried.

Our experience is that the age is generally younger than HAL, especially on shorter cruises. Like most lines, the longer cruises draw a more seasoned passenger. I can say that as I am now more seasoned;)

I hope Celebrity takes note and contacts you with some better compensation.

Sad thing is, it should not take for you to publicize this for X to do the right thing.

It sounds like this was an exhausting process and I would also expect to be compensated for the cruise missed due to meetings, paperwork, etc.

I wish you the best!

Exactly my point. I never would have posted this if Celebrity had satisfactorily handled this from the beginning. I'm still hoping that Celebrity will pull through and do the right thing but my confidence is waning since this is the second time they have forced me to go to the internet to get someone to talk to me.

I wonder if OP meant the Florida State's Attorney's Office, which is the local prosecuting authority, not the State Attorney General's Office. They sound similar.

Good luck to you OP. If Celebrity refuses to do anything this may be worth at least contacting a South Florida attorney over. I could see this case piquing an attorney's interest given the number of parties involved.

You are correct. My mistake.

I have some slight misgivings about the demands made by OP. Hopefully, the OP has learned a valuable lesson about safeguarding his valuables. There is some contributory negligence on his part and therefore I'm not sure why he believes that he is entitled to a partial refund/ credit. I doubt Celebrity will be forthcoming with such a credit. Hopefully, the OP will be made whole and receive a check so he can replace the headphones and put this behind him.

Having been in a dispute with cruise line before, you may want to reach out to their general counsel's office. In my dispute, I tried working through customer services but that was a dead end. They lacked decision-making authority and the GC's office resolved the dispute within a couple of days.

My attorney has advised me though that due to the scope and magnitude of this case, as well as the emotional impact it had on my wife there is a case for negligence. my wife was in tears and had to pop Xanax to keep from hyperventilating. I really didn't want to go the legal route but Celebrity has left me with no choice.

Maybe it's just me, but I am having difficulty connecting the comment from your first post in this thread "The IPAD case and the headphones were not returned" to the above comment.

Exactly my point. I never would have posted this if Celebrity had satisfactorily handled this from the beginning. I'm still hoping that Celebrity will pull through and do the right thing but my confidence is waning since this is the second time they have forced me to go to the internet to get someone to talk to me.

What do you want from X?

I know that the "experts" say, in your situation, asking for "specifics" is better for resolution of issue.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. The person I spoke to today said the Global Security team would investigate and return any items to me if they were found. I told him that I know from the police detective that my item was destroyed so there is nothing to return. I then asked if Celebrity would replace the headphones and he said no. I asked if they would then reimburse me or offer me other compensation and he said it is not Celebrities policy to reimburse for stolen items. Sorry, but I don't see how my questions or me posting here are out of line. Celebrity clearly has washed their hands of this and doesn't intend to make me whole.