Grand Theft by Celebrity Employees Follow Up

Swank803

Maybe they need to start random polygraphing or other video monitoring of employees...like some retail stores unfortunately must do

We may never know but sounds like a ring of thieves on the OPs ship..

I recall posts some years ago about a theft of a phone on Labadee before the crowds descended...I do not recall all the specifics, but Cruiser carelessly left it at her chair , went to restroom and phone gone,..was sure it was a band member as no one else was around..According to the story, Celebrity and local authorities worked vigorously ,....and sure enough the phone was recovered...

You certainly are angry and completely incorrect. Am positive you are aware the US along with most European countries, Canada, Mexico, Australia, NZ, most Central American countries all put into place a requirement for compliant locks stating those that were not compliant were subject to removal. Suggesting that the US is not civilized is simply crazy in the context of your message.

Seems you are the one that decided to not follow the rules designed to keep us all safe. I understand you might not agree with all of them, i for one don't either; but until they are changed I have three choices:

#1 is to follow the rules and not cause myself stress

#2 is to put locks on my luggage having them possibly cut off

#3 is to work to change the rules

Cruizer - Unfortunately I make some 30-40 flights a year worldwide. I do not use locks but instead use a zip tie on my luggage. They are about a penny each. Someone in baggage handling is not likely to carry a knife as they go through security too. makes my bags a bit harder and if they are going to steal maybe they choose the easier one. I also put NOTHING electronic - not even my shaver - or anything of significant value into my checked luggage except merchandise samples and those are insured.

Just an idea for you.

Also about one out of every couple hundred bags is selected for inspection even if electronic screening shows nothnig. same thing with passengers for secondary screening. Does not matter if you have a Trusted traveller card if you are the 472nd person and they decided on 472 then you get inspected.

Swank - Am glad it seems that you are getting reimbursed for the things that were stolen. While not fair things always take a while to get sorted out. In the meantime getting angry only seems to cause me to have chest pains and a wife that tells me that it is not worth blowing up and try try to learn from what happened.

I have thought about zip ties, but then you have to have a knife at the other end to cut them off. The TSA locks are not that expensive. The only things electronic that I put in my checked luggage is my shaver and my electric spoon.

I have thought about zip ties, but then you have to have a knife at the other end to cut them off. The TSA locks are not that expensive. The only things electronic that I put in my checked luggage is my shaver and my electric spoon.

If flying from Canada they are not allowed to break the locks if you don't have one of the locks mentioned above that can be opened by security. They are not "required" If your checked bag needs to be searched and they cannot open it you will be delayed as your luggage will not clear security.

http://www.catsa.gc.ca/locked-baggage

Edited by Christine Frances

You certainly are angry and completely incorrect. Am positive you are aware the US along with most European countries, Canada, Mexico, Australia, NZ, most Central American countries all put into place a requirement for compliant locks stating those that were not compliant were subject to removal. Suggesting that the US is not civilized is simply crazy in the context of your message.

Seems you are the one that decided to not follow the rules designed to keep us all safe. I understand you might not agree with all of them, i for one don't either; but until they are changed I have three choices:

#1 is to follow the rules and not cause myself stress

#2 is to put locks on my luggage having them possibly cut off

#3 is to work to change the rules

Cruizer - Unfortunately I make some 30-40 flights a year worldwide. I do not use locks but instead use a zip tie on my luggage. They are about a penny each. Someone in baggage handling is not likely to carry a knife as they go through security too. makes my bags a bit harder and if they are going to steal maybe they choose the easier one. I also put NOTHING electronic - not even my shaver - or anything of significant value into my checked luggage except merchandise samples and those are insured.

Just an idea for you.

Also about one out of every couple hundred bags is selected for inspection even if electronic screening shows nothnig. same thing with passengers for secondary screening. Does not matter if you have a Trusted traveller card if you are the 472nd person and they decided on 472 then you get inspected.

Swank - Am glad it seems that you are getting reimbursed for the things that were stolen. While not fair things always take a while to get sorted out. In the meantime getting angry only seems to cause me to have chest pains and a wife that tells me that it is not worth blowing up and try try to learn from what happened.

What a load of garbage. I travel regularly and the US is the only place where my luggage has been opened. I have non-TSA locks which I use around the rest of the world without issue.

Interesting how heated this thread is . Happy holidays to all . (I'll save my anger for tipping threads :D)

What's an electric spoon ? Does it go with a shaver ?

Interesting how heated this thread is . Happy holidays to all . (I'll save my anger for tipping threads :D)

What's an electric spoon ? Does it go with a shaver ?

It is like an electric knife (which is not allowed) except it is a spoon.

Nail clippers cut zip ties nicely.

If flying from Canada they are not allowed to break the locks if you don't have one of the locks mentioned above that can be opened by security. They are not "required" If your checked bag needs to be searched and they cannot open it you will be delayed as your luggage will not clear security.

http://www.catsa.gc.ca/locked-baggage

Not quite correct....Your own links states

"If you cannot be found, the airline representative may break the lock to allow the physical search of your checked bag". -

See more at: http://www.catsa.gc.ca/locked-baggage#sthash.e4POXTVD.dpuf"

Some of you may recall I posted a couple weeks ago about a theft ring on the 11/28 Reflection sailing out of Miami. My thread has since been deleted but I wanted to give you guys a follow up. I was hoping I could come back on here and report a happy ending but I'm back to being stone-walled by Celebrity. Actually, stone-walled is the wrong word since they are now refusing to do anything else to rectify the situation.

A brief recap:

I had 4 items stolen from my backpack onboard the Reflection, a laptop, IPAD, Bluetooth speaker, and Bose Noise cancelling headphones. All but the headphones were returned to me by the end of the cruise. The IPAD however was missing the case and it stopped working before I got to the airport.

What I know as fact: Four Celebrity employees were detained on board and arrested once we got back to Miami by Miami Dade Police for the grand theft, third degree. It occurred during the security screening on board. (Yes I know it was foolish to check these items through security so no need to rub it in.) Third Degree theft means that the total value of the items was between $300 and $19,999. The deputy director of security said they recovered over 90 items but did not state how many were reported stolen. I can attest that not all items were returned. Numerous passengers were affected by the theft. Upon interviewing one of the suspects, Miami police were able to confirm that the employee that had my headphones destroyed them and threw them in the trash once the onboard investigation started.

The on board resolution: Three of my four items were returned to me by security. The IPAD case and the headphones were not returned. Celebrity offered us a free dinner in one of their specialty restaurants. The hotel director offered me a set of Beats by Dre headphones to replace my Bose headphones. I declined the offer since the Beats headphones do not have the same noise cancelling quality as my Bose. I was assured by the Hotel Director Niyazi Korkmaz, that I would be made whole by Celebirty for my loss. The Security Director, Anton, further assured us that Celebrity intended to take care of us during our meeting with Miami-Dade police prior to disembarking. My wife and I left the ship feeling comfortable that Celebrity would make this right for us. Anton indicated that I should follow up with guest relations upon returning home.

The follow up with Guest Relations: I have called them twice now. My first call to Sierra in guest relations was on 12/8. I had hoped she could tell me where they were at in the process but she denied any knowledge of the case and said it was in the hands of their global security team. She would not provide me with any way to contact the global security team directly and said that I should wait for a response from them. I did not receive any sort of response so I contacted guest relations again today and spoke with Michael. Again, I received the company line that it was in the hands of their global security team. When I asked him how long I should expect it to take to get my headphones replaced he told me that Celebrity does not replace stolen items. I questioned that policy since they did try to replace the item already, just with an inferior replacement. I also told him I expected some sort of compensation for half of my cruise being ruined by having to deal with this mess. After the theft I spent numerous hours meeting on board with Celebrity employees about the case as well as working to get passwords changed, credit cards cancelled, etc since personal information was compromised with the theft of the IPAD. This was no easy task considering how slow the onboard internet is. I'm still having to deal with Miami Dade police and the FL State Attorney General's office as the legal case proceeds. Michael said there would be no further action from Celebrity and explicitly stated they are refusing to replace the headphones, or offer any sort of compensation for a half ruined cruise. I asked if there was someone else I could speak to because I sincerely wanted to get this worked out without having to take this to the internet or get a lawyer involved. Michael again refused to offer any further assistance.

I really expected better from Celebrity here considering the scale of this theft, their negligence in allowing it to happen, and the impact it has had on the affected passengers. If someone from Celebrity is reading this and would like to work towards a resolution you can send me a private message through Cruise Critic. If not, let this be fair warning to other cruisers how Celebrity deals with their customers that were victims of felonies committed by their employees.

You need to take this to the office of the President of the company.

Whew, has this thread ever gone sideways. I cannot believe the number of people that try and make the OP the bad guy. A ton of Celebrity apologists here all the time deflecting anything that may reflect poorly on Celebrity.

OP, I am glad that you are getting to the end of this terrible and stressful event.

Not quite correct....Your own links states

"If you cannot be found, the airline representative may break the lock to allow the physical search of your checked bag". -

See more at: http://www.catsa.gc.ca/locked-baggage#sthash.e4POXTVD.dpuf"

Oops. Makes sense though in that case.

Please no one take offense to my question; I have no bad intent.

The OP was greatly stressed by this and that is not good thing for anyone. Happy to see it was resolved.

My question: How much does personal responsibility weigh in when determining negligence legally, when someone has an issue such as this, especially when the topic/issue is general knowledge (i.e. do not check valuables)? Just wondering.

OK, I am asking for a free legal opinion but I am in medicine and I get asked all of the time too. I have learned a lot on this thread but had this question. My thanks.

Happy and safe cruising all! :)

The OP was greatly stressed by this and that is not good thing for anyone. Happy to see it was resolved.

My question: How much does personal responsibility weigh in when determining negligence legally, when someone has an issue such as this, especially when the topic/issue is general knowledge (i.e. do not check valuables)? Just wondering.

OK, I am asking for a free legal opinion but I am in medicine and I get asked all of the time too. I have learned a lot on this thread but had this question. My thanks.

The answer to your question is a whole chapter in the Torts textbook. I will provide you with a very short and incomplete answer.

Two theories may apply, Contributory fault or Comparative fault. If the jurisdiction you are in follows pure contributory negligence theory, your own negligence vitiates the other's negligence (i.e. you are not allowed to recover because of your own contributory negligence). I do not think any US jurisdictions follow this.

Comparative negligence/fault has a lot of variations, but in general, your own negligence is considered, and any award/verdict is reduced by the amount of your own negligence. The trier of fact could actually assign you a percentage of fault that will be applied.

This area of law is much more complex than I am stating as there are variations depending on the state. Hopefully, I have given you at least an idea of how it works!

Edited by lawgeek

Putting something in your own bag and checking it does not give someone the right to steal it.

The answer to your question is a whole chapter in the Torts textbook. I will provide you with a very short and incomplete answer.

Two theories may apply, Contributory fault or Comparative fault. If the jurisdiction you are in follows pure contributory negligence theory, your own negligence vitiates the other's negligence (i.e. you are not allowed to recover because of your own contributory negligence). I do not think any US jurisdictions follow this.

Comparative negligence/fault has a lot of variations, but in general, your own negligence is considered, and any award/verdict is reduced by the amount of your own negligence. The trier of fact could actually assign you a percentage of fault that will be applied.

This area of law is much more complex than I am stating as there are variations depending on the state. Hopefully, I have given you at least an idea of how it works!

Putting something in a checked bag does not give anyone the right to steal it. Putting something in your own bag is not a negligent act.

Putting something in a checked bag does not give anyone the right to steal it. Putting something in your own bag is not a negligent act.

So the question is: Does placing an item of great value (to be determined) in your luggage...knowing that it COULD be stolen...become a negligent act?

Or another way of looking at this is: Does placing an item of great value (to be determined) in your luggage...and NOT thinking it could be stolen...become a negligent act?

Florida (the jurisdiction whose laws should apply) like New York is a pure comparative state. So even if he left his stuff on a street corner with a sign that says 'steal me!' he could potentially recover a percentage of his loss.

(The way pure comparative works is that you can recover for any percentage you are not liable or negligent. So if you are 95% at fault for an incident, you can still recover 5% of your loss.)

Crazy, but true.