Grand Theft by Celebrity Employees Follow Up

Swank803

I have not seen anything on this thread, or the one that just disappeared, although I did not read all the posts on that one before it was pulled. Does it make a difference?

Just wondering because it was reported that it was a ring of thieves that affected a lot of passengers and had a big impact on them. I'm very sorry that the OP had a problem but is it possible that there might have been just a wee bit of exaggeration?

Yes, it's obvious that there was a thief on board but in all my years on these boards and all my many cruises on Celebrity instances like this have been extremely few. This can happen anywhere and we all need to use caution but I can testify that I and many others I know have mistakenly left things out in plain sight and have never had anything go missing.

Edited by Ma Bell

Just wondering because it was reported that it was a ring of thieves that affected a lot of passengers and had a big impact on them. I'm very sorry that the OP had a problem but is it possible that there might have been just a wee bit of exaggeration?

Yes, it's obvious that there was a thief on board but in all my years on these boards and all my many cruises on Celebrity instances like this have been extremely few. This can happen anywhere and we all need to use caution but I can testify that I and many others I know have mistakenly left things out in plain sight and have never had anything go missing.

MB - I believe you are correctly thinking about this. I believe most passengers who have in the past and will in the future, suffer a loss through rogue employees on X would not come to CC to broadcast it intentionally.

I believe that possibly there may have been an intent to bully or embarrass X for not responding as some believe they should. Yes, the incident is horrendous and I do feel sorry for the spouse who had to take extreme measures to be calm about it for the rest of their sailing..

I believe there were other options in terms of handling the situation. I trust the OP has achieved their goal(s) along with those who support or decry the post or the preceding errors before or after the theft.

Ahem.... may everyone be able to move forward from here and have a great sailing regardless of which cruise line they may choose because of this... :)

bon voyage...

I did see your original response, & just now read you edited response, which elaborated on the original, so I'll respond. I have to say that I agree that theft, especially by the crew, is rare on Celebrity's, indeed on any ship. but I don't see where it was reported that it was a "ring of thieves"; it was 4 crew members who allegedly stole about 90 items. Was there a bit of exaggeration, I don't know, maybe, but I don't think so. I did think it was a bit melodramatic in describing their emotional state. But the fact remains that there WAS a theft, there WERE arrests by the authorities, & the OP WAS told while on the ship, (abet, after they persisted), that they would be made whole. When they arrived home & followed up, they were told the opposite. If that were me, I probably would have reacted similarly. Did the OP handle everything correctly, who is to say. Everyone reacts differently in times of stress.

Honestly, your original query seemed to me that because no one else had reported the theft here on Cruise Critic, it was bogus.

Edited by richsea

I did see your original response, & just now read you edited response, which elaborated on the original, so I'll respond. I have to say that I agree that theft, especially by the crew, is rare on Celebrity's, indeed on any ship. but I don't see where it was reported that it was a "ring of thieves"; it was 4 crew members who allegedly stole about 90 items. Was there a bit of exaggeration, I don't know, maybe, but I don't think so. I did think it was a bit melodramatic in describing their emotional state. But the fact remains that there WAS a theft, there WERE arrests by the authorities, & the OP WAS told while on the ship, (abet, after they persisted), that they would be made whole. When they arrived home & followed up, they were told the opposite. If that were me, I probably would have reacted similarly. Did the OP handle everything correctly, who is to say. Everyone reacts differently in times of stress.

Honestly, your original query seemed to me that because no one else had reported the theft here on Cruise Critic, it was bogus.

The first sentence of his post says it was a theft ring and the title of the post calls it "Grand Theft by Celebrity Employees". My point was if it affected so many people and the great affect it had on them it seems strange that no one else affected or even anyone else on the cruise has chimed in.

According to his own post it also seems that they were communicating with him and told him the global security team was handling it and they would contact him. Perhaps the demand for compensation for ruining half of his cruise might have been the reason they stopped talking to him. It seems it has been handled at this point.

The first sentence of his post says it was a theft ring and the title of the post calls it "Grand Theft by Celebrity Employees". My point was if it affected so many people and the great affect it had on them it seems strange that no one else affected or even anyone else on the cruise has chimed in.

According to his own post it also seems that they were communicating with him and told him the global security team was handling it and they would contact him. Perhaps the demand for compensation for ruining half of his cruise might have been the reason they stopped talking to him. It seems it has been handled at this point.

Well if you believe what some people post here only about 5% of cruisers post or are aware of Cruise Critic, perhaps these other people that were effected are in that 95%.

I have some slight misgivings about the demands made by OP. Hopefully, the OP has learned a valuable lesson about safeguarding his valuables. There is some contributory negligence on his part and therefore I'm not sure why he believes that he is entitled to a partial refund/ credit. I doubt Celebrity will be forthcoming with such a credit. Hopefully, the OP will be made whole and receive a check so he can replace the headphones and put this behind him.

Having been in a dispute with cruise line before, you may want to reach out to their general counsel's office. In my dispute, I tried working through customer services but that was a dead end. They lacked decision-making authority and the GC's office resolved the dispute within a couple of days.

Are you serious!!! These were employees of Celebrity not some thief that was a passenger. When the OP gave their bag for check in they had every right to expect that the contents inside that bag would be safe. It was in Celebrity's care, custody and control. OP send them a bill demanding payment of the non returned items. You didn't say where you lived but if you live in a state that has an RCL office file a small claims action against them. Being familiar with Celebrity's on board customer service, get everything in writing. You probably won't get it because they have no authority to do so.

Well if you believe what some people post here only about 5% of cruisers post or are aware of Cruise Critic, perhaps these other people that were effected are in that 95%.

On the cruise I was on a few days ago out of 2600 passengers, about 80 signed up for the Connections Party. Likely some of the 80 were signed up by family members and don't read or Cruise Critic. So I suspect it is even less than the 5% on a particular sailing who read or post to Cruise Critic. So out of a group of 80 to 120 passengers who might be aware of Cruise Critic on a sailing out of 2600 onboard it would not be surprising at all that the other people of the 80 to 120 would not be effected if one person was effected.

Edited by Charles4515

I doubt that one if 50 cruisers post on CC. If I had something stolen and returned, I would mention it in my review, but would not make a separate thread about it.

Just because there are not 100 threads about something does not mean it didn't happen. I don't think the employees where arrested for posting on Cruise Critic when they should have been working. Why do you think they were arrested? If for stealing, then why are you so concerned that others have not posted?

Perhaps there should be a new rule, in order to collect on your insurance claim you have to report the theft to the police and start a thread about it on Cruise Critic.

I didn't say it didn't happen. Since most of it was recovered before he left the ship and they tried to replace the headphones as well, it's fairly obvious to me that the OP was just a little impatient and wanted immediate results for everything. I think we all know that sometimes it takes a couple of weeks or in many cases much longer for the insurance to pay. The demand that he be compensated for half his cruise being ruined is frankly "over the top".

I just think I would have waited a little longer before assuming nothing would be done, especially since they seem to have tried their best to make him happy while he was still on board.

It reminds me of the time I took a fall at Walmart because there was some clear Windex gel that was spilled on the floor. I was fortunately not hurt but lots of people ran over and said "you should sue them". The store manager was so worried and upset and I assured him I was fine and had no intention of pursuing a lawsuit. There seem to be a lot of people who want to attack before they even know if they are injured.

Edited by Ma Bell

I didn't say it didn't happen. Since most of it was recovered before he left the ship and they tried to replace the headphones as well, it's fairly obvious to me that the OP was just a little impatient and wanted immediate results for everything. I think we all know that sometimes it takes a couple of weeks or in many cases much longer for the insurance to pay. The demand that he be compensated for half his cruise being ruined is frankly "over the top".

I just think I would have waited a little longer before assuming nothing would be done, especially since they seem to have tried their best to make him happy while he was still on board.

I probably would have waited longer but I don't think there is anything wrong with another person having less faith that something would be done.

Also asking for half the cruise being compensated for might actually be a good starting point. If it happened to me I certainly would not expect to get that much compensation but asking for more than I expected could help getting a fair compensation.

Edited by Charles4515

If it happened to me the replacement value of the exact same headphones and a $100 to $200 On Board Credit for the stress would be fair.

They gave him a free dinner at a specialty restaurant and he said he's being reimbursed for the headphones.

They gave him a free dinner at a specialty restaurant and he said he's being reimbursed for the headphones.

If it were me and they gave me a free dinner at a specialty restaurant for two plus a bottle of wine I would consider that fair. But that is because I like at least two of the specialty restaurants onboard. Plus of course the headphones reimbursement. An OBC might be more appropriate for others.

Edited by Charles4515

And there are plenty of us who would just be happy to get our things back after foolishly not heeding the written warning to keep these things in our possession. There's no excuse for the thieves but it's really impossible to always be assured that an employee will never be tempted to steal.

And although this situation is most likely not the case, it's really impossible to know when a customer is trying to pull a fast one either.

And there are plenty of us who would just be happy to get our things back after foolishly not heeding the written warning to keep these things in our possession. There's no excuse for the thieves but it's really impossible to always be assured that an employee will never be tempted to steal.

And although this situation is most likely not the case, it's really impossible to know when a customer is trying to pull a fast one either.

If I had not kept a laptop, iPad, Bluetooth Speaker and headphones in my possession and got back the laptop and iPad of the four items I would not only be happy, I would be jumping up and down with joy. Letting the laptop and iPad out of my possession makes no sense at all, but obviously not everyone has sense. The speaker and headphones.....I could see some not giving those much attention. But the laptop and iPad, Sheesh. That does not as you say give the thieves aan excuse.

As far as customers pulling a fast one, I think if a customer pulling a fast one who has a laptop and iPad stolen an recovered would have come up with something more than headphones if they were pulling a fast one.

If I had not kept a laptop, iPad, Bluetooth Speaker and headphones in my possession and got back the laptop and iPad of the four items I would not only be happy, I would be jumping up and down with joy. Letting the laptop and iPad out of my possession makes no sense at all, but obviously not everyone has sense. The speaker and headphones.....I could see some not giving those much attention. But the laptop and iPad, Sheesh. That does not as you say give the thieves aan excuse.

As far as customers pulling a fast one, I think if a customer pulling a fast one who has a laptop and iPad stolen an recovered would have come up with something more than headphones if they were pulling a fast one.

How about $2500 a day for not being able to do business on the cruise because you don't have your laptop.

How about $2500 a day for not being able to do business on the cruise because you don't have your laptop.

I would laugh at that one. Just the idea of doing business. The current Celebrity internet is so pitiful it took me 15 minutes to check into my flight. It took 20 minutes every day for my digital edition of the New York Times to download.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

I would laugh at that one. Just the idea of doing business. The current Celebrity internet is so pitiful it took me 15 minutes to check into my flight. It took 20 minutes every day for my digital edition of the New York Times to download.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's what he wanted.