Grand Theft by Celebrity Employees Follow Up

Swank803

Ever flight from USA? Whats creepy when they open your(cut your lock) luggage and put you a note that they check your luggage . That drives me nuts . :mad::mad::mad: you open my luggage without me?

Luggage is screened and opened for inspection depending on the screening WORLDWIDE. Cutting your locks? Seriously, you are kidding since only TSA approved locks have been allowed for over 10 years. Would you rather someone smuggle a bomb on board and die? With terrorists we all give up some of the freedom we take for granted. Sadly it is not likely to improve.

Luggage is screened and opened for inspection depending on the screening WORLDWIDE. Cutting your locks? Seriously, you are kidding since only TSA approved locks have been allowed for over 10 years. Would you rather someone smuggle a bomb on board and die? With terrorists we all give up some of the freedom we take for granted. Sadly it is not likely to improve.

So true. Hard to believe some will never understand...

Edited by davekathy

Not to be negative but how does Celebrity know you really had these items. People do make false claims intentionally or unintentionally (not saying you did). If I had a hotel or B&B and a customer claimed something was stolen, I would ask for proof. I am sure you would do the same.

I think that someone else mentioned you should put a claim in with your insurance company and let them handle it.

Just my thoughts.

If Celebrity reimbursed the cost of the lost goods, Bose headsets (approx. $300.00) and the cost of the iPad case (approx $40.00?), would that be acceptable?

I would get a copy of the police report if that is possible.

I also want to know how many employees were arrested. We don't know if there were more in this ring. I wonder if it was one group/Nationality?

Yes, that would have been acceptable and they said they were going to do that while I was on board. They told me to contact their home office. The home office is now denying reimbursement. There were four employees arrested and I do have documentation. Judging by the names, it is various nationalities.

Not to be negative but how does Celebrity know you really had these items. People do make false claims intentionally or unintentionally (not saying you did). If I had a hotel or B&B and a customer claimed something was stolen, I would ask for proof. I am sure you would do the same.

I think that someone else mentioned you should put a claim in with your insurance company and let them handle it.

Just my thoughts.

3 of the 4 items I reported stolen were returned. The PD confirmed my headphones were destroyed by the thieves during their interrogation.

Unfortunately sometimes even the TSA locks are cut. I have had it happen three times.

Just my thoughts.

You are asking someone to prove a negative. Even a receipt dated the day before would not prove the item was in the luggage. Neither would a picture of it in the luggage prove that it wasn't removed after the picture was taken.

Basically you are asking someone to show you a picture of the theft as was occurring.

I'd ordinarily agree with this as well, but in this case X has made it petty darn clear that they are not going to do anything for him and that while they're so so sorry, he should just go away. At the point, I think there's merit to the "going for the jugular" approach.

Exactly. In my previous thread I posted how positive my meetings were with on board staff (hotel director, Dir of Guest Relations, Staff Capt, Dir of Security.) The only bad meeting was my first one with the Deputy Dir of Security who was dismissive and said we should consider ourselves "lucky to get anything at all back" and that "if these were so important to me why did it take 3 days to report them missing." I don't want to get into the details of that meeting because X said they dealt with the guy and would coach him on how to better deal with customers. I've been very helpful to both X and the Miami PD throughout this process and that is why I'm floored that X is not following through on promises that were made to me on board.

Flat out WRONG!

USA is the only place that I am aware of that will destroy your locks and open your luggage.

The rest of the world is quite civilised.

I am sure that Celebrity takes any theft or even the possibility of a theft very seriously. I do have one question or idea. Did you file trip insurance. If so, they should be able to cover the lost of any items and in fact, it would be their responsibility to get any restitution form Celebrity. If you didn't have trip insurance, perhaps the credit card you used to pay for the trip would be able to collect reimbursement. Just an idea.

I am considering all my options at this point. I have spoken with AMEX since my card does offer partial coverage for items stolen out of my bag. I just think it's wrong that AMEX might end up being the one paying for X's negligence.

I am considering all my options at this point. I have spoken with AMEX since my card does offer partial coverage for items stolen out of my bag. I just think it's wrong that AMEX might end up being the one paying for X's negligence.

Exactly how were they negligent?

I understand the frustrations in dealing with X and it would be that way with any cruise line/airline/hotel etc.. But since you did get some things back and all you lost were the headphones, sorry, but in this day and age just use some insurance or bite the bullet and buy another pair and save a lot of frustration. Then wait and hope you do get some satisfactory settlement from X, which might take a longer time than you would like.

Exactly. In my previous thread I posted how positive my meetings were with on board staff (hotel director, Dir of Guest Relations, Staff Capt, Dir of Security.) The only bad meeting was my first one with the Deputy Dir of Security who was dismissive and said we should consider ourselves "lucky to get anything at all back" and that "if these were so important to me why did it take 3 days to report them missing." I don't want to get into the details of that meeting because X said they dealt with the guy and would coach him on how to better deal with customers. I've been very helpful to both X and the Miami PD throughout this process and that is why I'm floored that X is not following through on promises that were made to me on board.

When I departed for my last cruise, I "just didn't want to be bothered" with closing the garage and locking my doors. When I returned, I was SO surprised that my garage and house were completely emptied of all contents. (except for the broken snow shovel)

I can't believe the police were so incompetent that they didn't protect my property. Isn't THAT their JOB??? I had several meetings with the Chief of Police and all HE said, is that I was lucky to get the shovel back. I am floored that their promise to "protect and serve" was not kept.

I have a call in to the local TV station about doing a news story on my misfortune.

Again Swank803, I hope you can get closure at some point. You should handle things as you feel comfortable with. Since those who think they know how you should or shouldn't handle the situation are staring to get restless, I would recommend you back off from further posting. I sense another thread disappearing soon.

Flat out WRONG!

USA is the only place that I am aware of that will destroy your locks and open your luggage.

I guess the UK AND Canada aren't civilised either as over the years my luggage has been opened there too. The TSA lock was broken off in the UK. The lock was intact upon arrival into Canada.

I'm fine with them checking luggage as long as security is maintained.

3 of the 4 items I reported stolen were returned. The PD confirmed my headphones were destroyed by the thieves during their interrogation.

The thieves destroyed the headphones while they were being interrogated:confused::confused::eek:

Exactly how were they negligent?

Might not fit the legal definition, but I consider X to be negligent of not providing proper supervision if 4 employees are able to steal over 90 items from passengers' bags undetected. They were not caught until after the items were reported missing.

The thieves destroyed the headphones while they were being interrogated:confused::confused::eek:

Sorry, grammar mistake. The PD found out during their interrogation that the thieves started destroying items once X started searching the rooms for stolen items.

When I departed for my last cruise, I "just didn't want to be bothered" with closing the garage and locking my doors. When I returned, I was SO surprised that my garage and house were completely emptied of all contents. (except for the broken snow shovel)

I can't believe the police were so incompetent that they didn't protect my property. Isn't THAT their JOB??? I had several meetings with the Chief of Police and all HE said, is that I was lucky to get the shovel back. I am floored that their promise to "protect and serve" was not kept.

I have a call in to the local TV station about doing a news story on my misfortune.

Good job blaming the victim. You weren't there and you don't know how we were treated. If you get your rocks off by trolling message boards, go right ahead. I have thick skin.

Ever flight from USA? Whats creepy when they open your(cut your lock) luggage and put you a note that they check your luggage . That drives me nuts . :mad::mad::mad: you open my luggage without me?

LOL, you would be re-united with your luggage before flight, if they found something untoward, I would be happy, overall... :)

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

Apples and oranges. The police did not pay people to go through your garage and look for forbidden items.

Again Swank803, I hope you can get closure at some point. You should handle things as you feel comfortable with. Since those who think they know how you should or shouldn't handle the situation are staring to get restless, I would recommend you back off from further posting. I sense another thread disappearing soon.

Agree. It looks like the trolls are coming out. It looks like X's insurance company is going to pick up the tab for the stolen items. It would have been nice if X would have told me to get in contact with them from the beginning rather than me having to search them out on my own.

Flat out WRONG!

You certainly are angry and completely incorrect. Am positive you are aware the US along with most European countries, Canada, Mexico, Australia, NZ, most Central American countries all put into place a requirement for compliant locks stating those that were not compliant were subject to removal. Suggesting that the US is not civilized is simply crazy in the context of your message.

Seems you are the one that decided to not follow the rules designed to keep us all safe. I understand you might not agree with all of them, i for one don't either; but until they are changed I have three choices:

#1 is to follow the rules and not cause myself stress

#2 is to put locks on my luggage having them possibly cut off

#3 is to work to change the rules

Cruizer - Unfortunately I make some 30-40 flights a year worldwide. I do not use locks but instead use a zip tie on my luggage. They are about a penny each. Someone in baggage handling is not likely to carry a knife as they go through security too. makes my bags a bit harder and if they are going to steal maybe they choose the easier one. I also put NOTHING electronic - not even my shaver - or anything of significant value into my checked luggage except merchandise samples and those are insured.

Just an idea for you.

Also about one out of every couple hundred bags is selected for inspection even if electronic screening shows nothnig. same thing with passengers for secondary screening. Does not matter if you have a Trusted traveller card if you are the 472nd person and they decided on 472 then you get inspected.

Swank - Am glad it seems that you are getting reimbursed for the things that were stolen. While not fair things always take a while to get sorted out. In the meantime getting angry only seems to cause me to have chest pains and a wife that tells me that it is not worth blowing up and try try to learn from what happened.

Edited by az_tchr

Flat out WRONG!

I don't know about the being wrong part, but I can attest to my TSA approved locks being removed from my luggage. The last time it caused damage to one of the bags. This is why I now carry (or rather my wife does in her purse) extra locks. They've been cut off twice for some unknown reason. The only tings in the bags they've checked were clothes. No toiletries or anything odd.