Grand Theft by Celebrity Employees Follow Up

Swank803

So the question is: Does placing an item of great value (to be determined) in your luggage...knowing that it COULD be stolen...become a negligent act?

Or another way of looking at this is: Does placing an item of great value (to be determined) in your luggage...and NOT thinking it could be stolen...become a negligent act?

Nope. Just like leaving your car or house unlocked doesn't make you negligent if someone enters uninvited and steals something - or steals your car. Even if you leave it unlocked in a very bad area. In fact, in some cases, you're better off leaving your car unlocked in bad areas - better to just have to replace a stereo system than a stereo system AND a window.

Edited by Jobeth66

So the question is: Does placing an item of great value (to be determined) in your luggage...knowing that it COULD be stolen...become a negligent act?

Or another way of looking at this is: Does placing an item of great value (to be determined) in your luggage...and NOT thinking it could be stolen...become a negligent act?

So if you're walking down the street & someone snatches your purse containing an item if great value (to be determined) & runs away, are you negligent because you didn't hold it tight enough?

Does driving a car on the street or highway, knowing that you could get in an accident become a negligent act?

Does getting in an airplane, knowing it could crash become a negligent act?

The answer to your question is, no, it does not become a negligent act.

Putting something in a checked bag does not give anyone the right to steal it. Putting something in your own bag is not a negligent act.

I don't have a current copy of the Celebrity cruise documents, it has been a few month since I have been on one of their cruises and don't have one booked.

I do have the documents for 3 other lines that I have cruises booked on. All three of them have statements in their cruise documents, not to place valuables, electronics, medication, important papers in checked baggage. A lot of airline have the same language.

If Celebrity includes such a warning in their documentation, then someone ignoring that warning and putting such items in their luggage could be considered to be negligent.

Edited by RDC1

So if you're walking down the street & someone snatches your purse containing an item if great value (to be determined) & runs away, are you negligent because you didn't hold it tight enough?

No, but if you place it on a table in a public area while you go to a restroom could be considered to be negligent.

If you go into an area where you have received warnings from police or other authorities that purses should not be carried and you continue to carry it then the argument could certainly be made.

Does it matter that most cruise line workers are contracted? I think only the officers are actually "employed"

Also this is in the "Getting Prepared" section on X's website

"Insure all luggage and valuables. Celebrity Cruises cannot be responsible for their loss or damage. Baggage protection, as well as a variety of other coverages designed to protect you during your cruise vacation, are offered through CruiseCare Vacation Protection."

http://www.celebritycruises.com/plan-and-book/before-you-go-getting-ready?tab=before_you_go_getting_ready

Edited by Christine Frances

If you were informed by the carrier not to put a valuable item into checked baggage and you continue to do so, then it could certainly be argued that the carrier performed diligence in warning you and your decision to place the items there anyway constitutes an informed decision on your part to take responsibility.

No, but if you place it on a table in a public area while you go to a restroom could be considered to be negligent.

If you go into an area where you have received warnings from police or other authorities that purses should not be carried and you continue to carry it then the argument could certainly be made.

WARNING - if you drive on public streets or highways you could get in an accident.

Okay, you've been warned. Now if you get in an accident, even if you were legally stopped at the time, you are now partially negligent because I just warned you that you could get in an accident.

we have a missing item from our cruise, not even home yet. So what travel insurance is replacing lost or stolen items? We don't think ours will but will check when we get home.

The other question that comes into play is if it was theft has in the OP's case or mysterious disappearance. Where something is missing but the circumstances are unclear. They often will not cover the later.

WARNING - if you drive on public streets or highways you could get in an accident.

Okay, you've been warned. Now if you get in an accident, even if you were legally stopped at the time, you are now partially negligent because I just warned you that you could get in an accident.

Nope that is not even closely to being similar. Now if the police put out a warning that the roads are closed due to a snow storm and you proceed to ignore that warning then you have a different situation as the warning in that case is reasonable and specific. Similarly if you ignore road construction signs and speed through a construction zone, you would certainly be considered to be negligent there.

The warnings issued by carriers pass the test of being both specific and reasonable. There are numerous examples of why such a warning is valid that span multiple industries and companies that one faces a much higher risk of theft putting valuables in checked luggage.

The warning actually can create an issue of negligence. There are limits. However, the cigarette manufacturers have been able to escape liability in some cases because of the warnings. Nonetheless there are limits and it is a two edged sword. The warning is also proof that the company providing the warning is aware of the problem and thus has a greater responsibility to take care of it.

we have a missing item from our cruise, not even home yet. So what travel insurance is replacing lost or stolen items? We don't think ours will but will check when we get home.

They usually require a police or some other documentation.

Sometimes if the amount is small the insurance companies just pay out without a lot of paperwork.

The warnings issued by carriers pass the test of being both specific and reasonable. There are numerous examples of why such a warning is valid that span multiple industries and companies that one faces a much higher risk of theft putting valuables in checked luggage.

I would have to see the warning issued by Celebrity before I would agree with your statement.

Thanks everyone, I will check it out. We filled out the paperwork, we talked to four people and finally were offered the paperwork to fill out before we left the ship.

Hey there, Hula (we met on an r/c last year:)). I'm sorry to hear that something like this happened to you. Hope it didn't impact your cruise, too much. :(

Thanks everyone, I will check it out. We filled out the paperwork, we talked to four people and finally were offered the paperwork to fill out before we left the ship.

If I remember correctly you are just off the Eclipse.

Since we'll be sailing her in February I'm curious about where and when you think your item was taken/stolen.

I had the Celebrity CruiseCare Protection , which is their form of travel insurance. It covers loss, damage or theft of personal items up to $1500. I also paid for my trip with an AMEX which has theft protection up to $350 per item. Hopefully Cruisecare will take care of the whole amount lost. If not, I'll file a claim with Amex.

While it does appear I am covered for the cost of the items lost, there's still the hassle I had to go through both while on board and since I've been home. I doubt I'll get any satisfaction there, but I can rest easy that at least a few other readers hear have learned from my ordeal. I know I have. Hopefully Celebrity learned something from this as well. I'm sure they aren't exactly happy that this thread has 150+ replies.

I had the Celebrity CruiseCare Protection , which is their form of travel insurance. It covers loss, damage or theft of personal items up to $1500. I also paid for my trip with an AMEX which has theft protection up to $350 per item. Hopefully Cruisecare will take care of the whole amount lost. If not, I'll file a claim with Amex.

While it does appear I am covered for the cost of the items lost, there's still the hassle I had to go through both while on board and since I've been home. I doubt I'll get any satisfaction there, but I can rest easy that at least a few other readers hear have learned from my ordeal. I know I have. Hopefully Celebrity learned something from this as well. I'm sure they aren't exactly happy that this thread has 150+ replies.

I suspect from the cruise lines perspective it has sent a message, but probably not the one you think.

From their perspective anyone reading this stream would have learned:

1. When the cruise line says in their documents that they are not responsible for losses due to theft, they mean it.

2. Get travel insurance to cover any losses that might occur

3. Don't put valuables in your checked luggage because they might get stolen and even if insurance makes you whole it is a hassle you don't want.

Impact to business from such a stream, lost in the noise.

When you file for insurance you might see if they will cover credit monitoring service costs for one year since the items stolen had personal information that could be used for identity theft on them.

Edited by RDC1

I am very sorry to hear this. Were you on the same sailing as the OP? Was your item removed from your suitcase or stateroom?

I suspect from the cruise lines perspective it has sent a message, but probably not the one you think.

From their perspective anyone reading this stream would have learned:

1. When the cruise line says in their documents that they are not responsible for losses due to theft, they mean it.

2. Get travel insurance to cover any losses that might occur

3. Don't put valuables in your checked luggage because they might get stolen and even if insurance makes you whole it is a hassle you don't want.

Impact to business from such a stream, lost in the noise.

When you file for insurance you might see if they will cover credit monitoring service costs for one year since the items stolen had personal information that could be used for identity theft on them.

I certainly hope everyone following along did learn the things you point out. Certainly a theft like this could occur on any cruiseline. What could vary from line to line is how the company handles the situation. Between this thread and my previous one that was deleted, I think I detailed my interaction with X employees pretty thoroughly, both the good and the bad. I'd like to add to your list some other things I hope people learn here:

4. Do not leave the ship without written confirmation from an officer their intention to either make you whole or how you can be made whole. They talk a good game on the ship but once you get home you are out of luck and on your own. Don't trust them when they say, "We want to do right by you."

5. If you don't get an acceptable response on board, take to social media for advice from others and/or to get the attention of the cruiseline. (My two reasons for originally posting here.)

6. Celebrity does not value your future business. They are willing to loose my in-laws and my family's future business over $350, which was less than 10% of what I spent on this cruise alone.

7. Keep receipts for everything. You'll need them if you intend to file a claim.

With that being said, I'm going to check out of the thread. Thanks to everyone for your advice. And to the few trolls that implied I was at fault for my items being stolen, well, I'm sorry that your life is so devoid of happiness that you feel you must bring others down to your level.

Glad it has all worked out for you, but if you had purchased travel insurance, I am surprised that you did not realise you were covered for items lost during your trip. There was no need for you to post on Facebook, join CC and start two new threads, consult several attorneys and contact NBC News! Next time, make it easy on yourself!:) Although I have to confess to a sneaking suspicion that you didn't want an easy solution and have secretly relished the drama of it all.;)

Glad it has all worked out for you, but if you had purchased travel insurance, I am surprised that you did not realise you were covered for items lost during your trip. There was no need for you to post on Facebook, join CC and start two new threads, consult several attorneys and contact NBC News! Next time, make it easy on yourself!:) Although I have to confess to a sneaking suspicion that you didn't want an easy solution and have secretly relished the drama of it all.;)
Perfectly said ! Celebrity absolutely acted poorly here but life is too short and

time is too precious to waste on this issue . For your own sake, move on OP .