Best value ship excursions?

Kris74

We wondered which nonluxury cruiseline offers the best value excursions if one does not want to make own arrangements. On a Mediterranean cruise for example. Not necessarily the cheapest excursions but the best value. Any opinions?

Value is a personal judgment- not all will agree as what is "best value". For example, we feel, that in most cases private tours are the "best value".

In the vast majority of cases, cruise lines are doing the same excursions in each port, as there are sights everyone wants to see, on all cruise lines.

Since "value" or "best" is a totally subjective matter, your question is totally unanswerable. I have taken excursions that cost hundreds of dollars that were a good value. I have occasionally taken excursions that cost $20 - $30 dollars that were not worth 2 cents.

DON

We wondered which nonluxury cruiseline offers the best value excursions if one does not want to make own arrangements. On a Mediterranean cruise for example. Not necessarily the cheapest excursions but the best value. Any opinions?

Are you trying to pick a cruise or a ship based on excursions? If so then forgive me, but I think you are doing it backwards. Choose your itinerary and ship first and then start researching excursions. The ship tours will always be there (you can price them out on the cruise line official website) and you can compare them to DIY or private tours in port. There is an awesome Europe Ports of Call board here that will definitely be of help once you have decided.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19 <--Europe boards

So...you don't want to take resposibility for your good time....

A little bit of research on your ports will take you so far....go to your library and pick up a guidebook..no cost at all...read it...decide what interests you....and the book will give you a good idea if you even NEED an "excursion"! Many things are easy to do on your own.

If that's too much trouble...close your eyes...pick an excursion and go with it.

If you are booking the med join your roll call and make plans for private excursions with your shipmates....cheaper, way fewer people,more time seeing than waiting on the bus,tailored to your needs...they will get you back on time.....lots of info on the europe board...

We have only cruised with Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.

I also recommend itinerary and ship first, or you are putting the cart before the horse.

On our first cruise the excursions we took were all RC excursions.

Since then we do excursions that are set up through the roll call by either another person, or I book the excursion and then offer it on the roll call for a limited amount of people if others want to share. My personal preference is 6 to 8 people total.

If this is your first cruise it might be best for you to book the excursions with the cruise line you choose and then you will have an idea of what we are talking about.

I honestly don't think anyone can answer the question you asked. "Best value" is an individual opinion.

I hope you find the cruise you want and have a wonderful experience. :)

I found one example. Princess lists a 5 hour tour to Montserrat for $49.95. Holland America lists a 4 hour tour to Montserrat for somewhere between $51 and $100. In this case, I would guess that the Princess excursion is a better value. I can not find exact prices on the Holland America website and don't have the will to check prices of similar tours offered by myriad cruise lines in myriad ports, but I think it would be an interesting exercise.

Just as people complain about high drink prices on some cruise lines, I assume that some lines mark up excursions more than others do. Identifying a line with lower excursion markups could help cost conscious vacationers select a cruise. While cruise critic members are quick to point out that DIY excursions are frequently cheaper, better, and less crowded, there are plenty of cruisers who are happier doing ship's excursions, you see cruisers take them in every port.

Thank you for the answers 😊

I actually do agree that self organized tours are better value. Whogo got my point 😊 . Either some lines offer better tours (better guides, smaller group etc.) or then some lines offer the same tours at a lower cost meaning better value. As lines sell same beer at a different price.

But now I understand that it is not easy to answer.