New mattresses on the Freedom absolutely hard as a rock!

You're welcome. If you go on the RCI website and search "special needs" lots of applicable info incl. email will come up.

I didn't do a search...I looked everywhere for a link, but didn't "search". Other cruise lines have a link within your booking, but I found nothing there either. Thanks again, appreciate it!

We emailed special_needs@rccl.com.

We received a response the following day.

Here is a copy of that email.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us with this information. We have gone ahead and made the appropriate notes in the reservations. We will place a mattress topper on embarkation day.

Best regards,

Access Staff

Zack

I received my answer today also from special needs.

Not quite as promising as the above replies.. Nothing about the promise of a topper.

Good Day.

Thank you for contacting us. Your reservation has been noted and the ship will be advised.

Best Regards,

Access Staff Diana

Not quite as promising as the above replies.. Nothing about the promise of a topper.

Good Day.

Thank you for contacting us. Your reservation has been noted and the ship will be advised.

Best Regards,

Access Staff Diana

We are just off IOS. The mattress in the JS was terrible. We complained and they brought a "new" mattress with an egg crate. It was terrible as well. RCI needs to address this . We slept horrible the entire cruise.

We are in a GS on Freedom in 11 days. Are the new mateesses in the suites also, or do they have different bedding? Our first time in a suite, so I am not sure if bedding is the same or upgraded... I will report our experience when onboard.

Thanks for any info

Edited by cruisinpips

We are in a GS on Freedom in 11 days. Are the new mateesses in the suites also, or do they have different bedding? Our first time in a suite, so I am not sure if bedding is the same or upgraded... I will report our experience when onboard.

Thanks for any info

I hope you will come back in 2-3 weeks and let us know.

We just got off Freedom on 12/20 after two weeks in a GS. The mattress was indeed VERY firm.

I do like a firm mattress (my husband not so much), but even he slept much better than we did on the previous (softer) mattresses and I slept like the proverbial baby on this firmer one.

Obviously everyone has different preferences and results.

Good Day.

Best Regards,

Access Staff Diana

Hope I get a more positive response.

Just off Liberty. Was told mattress had been replaced a month ago. Also, rock solid!!!

I just got off the Liberty today and had 2 cabins with rock hard beds. I didn't ask if they were new and they all had a pretty dingy looking mattress topper on them. Based on this thread and others, I had purchased and brought my own california king size topper, but didn't use it the first night. After sleeping horribly with aching hips the first night, we added our own topper on top of theirs and it was much better the rest of the cruise. I made a bed topper sandwich using the duvet/comforter in between their topper and mine to isolate mine from their icky looking one.

I had a compression bag and duffle bag to pack the topper pad and will definitely be bringing it on future cruises. It was much easier to put away than I thought it would be. I'll add that we drive to the port so this small duffle bag isn't a concern like it might be with flying.

I still think it's ridiculous to have to resort to this, but thought I'd share that even if they do provide a foam pad, it's still not enough to make a difference in my opinion!

I was on the Anthem of the Seas in November in a Jr Suite and the mattress was hard as a cement slab. I asked for a mattress topper and extra blankets. It did not help. I was uncomfortable the entire cruise. I was in pain every night. They need to do something about these hard beds. Not sure why they changed from comfortable beds to cement hard beds. Perhaps this matter should be escalated to corporate headquarters or to Mr. Goldstein. I have a couple of cruises booked and I don't want to have to suffer each night due to a hard uncomfortable bed. Please write corporate headquarters if this is of concern to you. Thank you.

Just off Liberty. Awoke many times at night during the week afraid I had been incarcerated! The mattress was "jail-quality" at best. Firm mattress - yes. Concrete slab - no. Next time I think it would be a good idea for RCCL execs to spend a few nights on the mattresses before instituting fleet wide changes.

Disappointed to say the least. We have always loved how well we have slept while on all of our cruises, on all lines. I hope the the beds will be broken in a bit by the time we sail in March.

I hope those from Royal who creep on these boards have taken note of all the complaints so far and will decide to do something.

I just got off Freedom 2 days ago. 12/20/15 sailing. I was in a JS and my bed was fine. I do not like firm beds and I checked the bed as soon as the room became available at 1pm.

My BED review for Freedom:

I found a new egg crate on the bed. The bed was fine with the foam over the mattress. I thought it was very comfortable and I am picky. At the end of the cruise as we were leaving on Sunday morning I looked in from the hallway at some of the rooms being made up. The beds were stripped and some had egg crates and others had thick pads put over the mattresses. I was on the 10th floor in the JS, and other suites area. I don't know about other rooms but the beds all looked like they had SOMETHING over the mattress.

We also had a sofa bed in our room that my daughter slept on. She is 5'3" and did not fit on the sofa bed but it was a comfortable mattress. She slept diagonally on the bed to fit.

My in-laws were in an owners suite down the hall. Their bed was also comfortable, not at all hard, but I did not take their bed apart and investigate. I just sat on it for a minute to test it.

They had a grand child on a sofa bed that was the old fashioned kind that has springs and pulls out..... IT was awful! Horrible! Terrible! Very worn out and needs to be replaced! For an owners suite I felt that RCCL could do much better. I sat on the bed after hearing my mother in law begging the room steward for anything better. The room steward was distraught and desperate to help her. They had called at 1am. the night before to get help from housekeeping... They brought an extra mattress and plopped it on top of the old one.... Not a good option.... I love RCCL but I thought an owners suite needs a new sofa bed that is usable since the price is sky high compared to just a regular rooms and the sofa beds are fine in regular rooms.

Edited by dasi11

Agree, we noticed the "rock" mattress during our B2B on Navigator. What a shocking difference compared to past cruises. Our cabin attendant brought us an egg crate mattress topper which made a world of difference.

Luckily, the toppers were still available on Allure in October as we submitted a Special Needs request in advance and received confirmation the topper would be on the bed on boarding day - and it was. So, we did not notice the "rock" sleeping conditions on that sailing.

Learned that the mattresses on Serenade are firm / "rocks" also, so not looking forward to that part of the cruise. Off researching what options are available so I can self-solve for this issue since the egg crate mattress toppers are no longer available.

I received this today from the special needs department;

Good Day

Thank you for contacting us. The reservation has been noted the pier and ship will be advised. You will be provide with a mattress topper for each bed.

Best Regards,

Access Staff Diana

I would consider the response a "positive" for now. When we submitted our request for Allure using the Guest Special Needs Form (Click Me) OR:

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do

We received a similar response. Then, about a few day's to a week later, we received another communication that our request was confirmed and would be available on embarkation.

Also, below is the link to the other items covered by Special Needs, including requesting an extension cord and water for a CPAP user.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/home.do?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=1&snav=7

Hope this helps...

I was on the Anthem of the Seas in November in a Jr Suite and the mattress was hard as a cement slab. I asked for a mattress topper and extra blankets. It did not help. I was uncomfortable the entire cruise. I was in pain every night. They need to do something about these hard beds. Not sure why they changed from comfortable beds to cement hard beds.

So the beds have been changed on Anthem already? I haven't heard this complaint before about Anthem beds.

Made the reservations before I knew about the mattresses. I'm 67 years old with a bad back and bad knees. I've been on the Freedom at least 11 times over the past few years. The beds were always comfy and I always slept well. Now I hurt all over from just ONE HOUR on the new mattress. I'm even checking to see if I can fly out of Jamaica to get home and off this ship! I can't go without sleep for seven nights. What do I do? Any ideas for me? :(

Oh, and there IS a mattress topper on the bed - plus I read these posts the day before we left (yesterday) and hubby ran out and bought me a mattress topper - so I have TWO on the cement mattress. *sigh* Can't sleep there...

Edited by Sharon Sails

I'm wondering if all the loyal Royal cruisers that have had this problem have tried to contact someone in the upper offices about this .

For me this will probably be my only cruise on Royal so I will bit the bullet and buy a memory foam topper from target to bring on the ship with me to be safe.