New mattresses on the Freedom absolutely hard as a rock!

I hope RCCL has some creepers watching this thread. This, my friends, is another example of why we are thrilled to be heading over to NCL. I am a proud diamond member and we had 4 cruises in our queue on Royal. One cruise on the NCL Getaway this past summer and we canceled all on Royal and rebooked on NCL. It's this garbage that is costing Royal loyal customers.

People are considering bringing their own mattress toppers. I'm laughing at how absurd that even sounds for the price we pay...

While I've read any number of things that COULD concern me about our very first cruise - reading that the mattresses are hard and terribly uncomfortable is the one thing that HAS me concerned. One of my very favorite things in life is staying in a hotel with a "Heavenly Bed" (or the like) and getting a wonderful night's sleep.

I may not get a good night's sleep tonight worrying about this. [emoji15]

We have never had a mattress that both of us were really unhappy with. I prefer a very firm mattress, DH prefers one that is less firm. At home we have a Comfort Sleep Number mattress to make each of us happy. Can't expect that on a cruise....but the soft movement of the ship on the ocean is a great sleep aid.

This is not good news at all - I am booked on Independence of the Seas for a music charter next year, and just returned from this year's charter, which was on the Norwegian Pearl. Our mattress on the Pearl was incredibly comfortable both this year and last year (first year of our charter, and my first cruise, so I have only sailed the Pearl).

I don't understand why they would cut corners in such an important area - a good night's sleep and a pain-free day are very important for a good vacation experience!

No, there isn't a lot of time to sleep on a music charter, but the sleep we do get needs to be good quality. :eek:

Mary

We sailed Independence last year and both thought the mattress was very comfortable. We were on the Allure this month and they did give us a mattress topper without even asking.

You will love the Independence :)

I was in a Jr suite on Brilliance and the mattress was awful. I spoke to someone in housekeeping about it and was told it was a new mattress…………..live and bare it……...

Ours was fine after they placed a duvet under the sheets. Not sure if Ours was new. JS 1548 over Thanksgiving

Just off Freedom also. We also had the new mattress.

I guess it's just us but my husband and I liked the new mattress.

The pillows were not to my liking.

I did take my own pillow , so that was not an issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I'd never considered bringing a pillow on a cruise albeit I bring my own to hotels. I'll be BMyO pillow, and egg frate after reading this thread! ;)

For almost all of our cruises we have been within driving distance to the port of departure. I have never thought to bring even my pillow. I have never had a mattress that was so 'uncomfortable' that I could not sleep, but then again the soft movement of the ship in the water is a great sleep enhancer (at least for me).

I want a good nights sleep, and perhaps I am so exhausted from the daily fun/activities that I am too tired when I hit the pillow to notice that the mattress and pillow are not exactly like the one at home.

I look forward to such issues when we sail on Her Majesty in mid February. For us, it won't be an issue, I can be fairly certain of that.

For almost all of our cruises we have been within driving distance to the port of departure. I have never thought to bring even my pillow. I have never had a mattress that was so 'uncomfortable' that I could not sleep, but then again the soft movement of the ship in the water is a great sleep enhancer (at least for me).

I want a good nights sleep, and perhaps I am so exhausted from the daily fun/activities that I am too tired when I hit the pillow to notice that the mattress and pillow are not exactly like the one at home.

I look forward to such issues when we sail on Her Majesty in mid February. For us, it won't be an issue, I can be fairly certain of that.

We had an awful mattress on Celebrity Infinity. I tried pillows, sleeping on the other side of the bed, and finally laying on the too short sofa. DH called Guest Relations and they sent down the night manager of Housekeeping. He added several egg crates, and it was much better. If not, we would have had to get off at the next port and fly home. It was that bad.

I hope RCCL has some creepers watching this thread. This, my friends, is another example of why we are thrilled to be heading over to NCL. I am a proud diamond member and we had 4 cruises in our queue on Royal. One cruise on the NCL Getaway this past summer and we canceled all on Royal and rebooked on NCL. It's this garbage that is costing Royal loyal customers.

People are considering bringing their own mattress toppers. I'm laughing at how absurd that even sounds for the price we pay...

NCL doesn't sail out of our Texas ports anymore...so its reasonable. I save an entire airfare by staying here and taking the topper. But... taking Escape in 2017!

Edited by BecciBoo

Off Freedom this morning. We were in the same boat as you with the bed! We had a great cruise, but we dreaded getting in that bed. A few times I slept in the chair in our room. I thought if we were on deck 7, I would have slept on the couch in the library. :-) We had a crate on our bed, however it didn't help. Had to ask for extra pillows as well.

Tonight, I'm thankful for my own bed.

Off Freedom this morning. We were in the same boat as you with the bed! We had a great cruise, but we dreaded getting in that bed. A few times I slept in the chair in our room. I thought if we were on deck 7, I would have slept on the couch in the library. :-) We had a crate on our bed, however it didn't help. Had to ask for extra pillows as well.

Tonight, I'm thankful for my own bed.

We are sailing Freedom Feb 21 and now I am concerned about the mattress ruining our cruise if we can not sleep well. Hope we do not get one of the new mattresses in our oceanview cabin.

i hope rccl has some creepers watching this thread. This, my friends, is another example of why we are thrilled to be heading over to ncl. I am a proud diamond member and we had 4 cruises in our queue on royal. One cruise on the ncl getaway this past summer and we canceled all on royal and rebooked on ncl. It's this garbage that is costing royal loyal customers.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

this!!!!!!

Just got off of two weeks on the Freedom and yes indeed the mattresses are VERY firm.

I loved it (I slept much better than last year when I would wake up with hip and leg pains) and slept really well. My husband thought it was too firm, but he also slept better than last year.

We have emailed the Special Needs dept at Royal.

We are sailing the Freedom soon, and we have requested the eggcrates from Royal.. Lets see what happens....

Requesting the extra duvets from the cabin attendant is a good idea also..

Thanks Cruise Critic Posters......

What is their e-mail address...I have looked all over RCI's website and can't find it. We will be on the FOS again in September.

Edited by Terre

Going on Freedom in 1 month. For those just off, what was the Broadway Production show? I just got off Liberty last week and it was Saturday Night Fever. Just wondering what to expect. Thanks.

Would you mind reporting back on this thread what you thought of the mattress and how you resolved any issue, if necessary?

We just got off the Adventure of the Seas Saturday. Same thing as everybody else has experienced. We were on the Brilliance in October and had the usual comfy mattress; so we were very surprised after the first night of sleeping on a piece of plywood. We asked our stateroom attendant about an eggcrate. He also said they got rid of them. After 3 nights we switched sides. Well, there was a difference between the 2 mattresses. Neither was soft; but one was not quite as hard as the other. The next morning we asked the attendant for more blankets; because it was too hard, and that one side was worse than the other. When we returned that afternoon, we were surprised that there was a foam pad on the bed. The bed was still not as comfortable as they had been previously; but it was an improvement.

I am not happy about this change at all. I did make a point to mention this on the survey I filled out last night. I also told them to feel free to contact us. They are going to have to do something; because people may start cruising different lines; if they are not able to sleep on the ships. I would like to know if the person that made this decision to change these mattresses ever laid on these things. My guess is they did get a nice bonus for the purchase though.

I received this today from the special needs department;

Good Day

Thank you for contacting us. The reservation has been noted the pier and ship will be advised. You will be provide with a mattress topper for each bed.

Best Regards,

Access Staff Diana

I received this today from the special needs department;

Good Day

Thank you for contacting us. The reservation has been noted the pier and ship will be advised. You will be provide with a mattress topper for each bed.

Best Regards,

Access Staff Diana

I've got to make sure that I contact the right person before our cruise in April. I can't bear sleeping in a hard bed. There's a reason that we choose to stay in hotels in a bed and not in a tent in sleeping bag!

How soon before our cruise would you suggest that we send the email?