New mattresses on the Freedom absolutely hard as a rock!

In most cases back pain comes from too soft mattresses and hard ones are much better. Of course this always depends on the weight of the person and different people need different mattresses. Me and my wife often had to complain on RCL ships about old mattresses that were not just too soft but brocken in the middle. This creates real back pain. We highly appreciate new and harder mattresses!

How are mattress toppers/egg crates any less sanitary than the actual beds themselves?

I was on a Freedom cruise and when I actually pulled the bedcovers back, the mattress was stained beyond belief. Huge yellow and brown puddles of stain.

We did get a mattress exchange but the fact that it was there in the first place was disgusting.

O.K. that does it, I am going to vacuum suck my Temperpedic toppers into jet bags and bring them for our Liberty sailing just to be safe. Thanks for the heads up....

You may be on to something! I'm thinking two of these self inflating mattress pads might be in our future for cruises we are able to drive to. $28 each, worth it for a good night rest!

k2-_f52cd292-5cd5-4757-be32-cae0e6b4abea.v1.jpg-d781e6888d6c15914cfef870491cac132216ee9b-optim-450x450.jpg

You may be on to something! I'm thinking two of these self inflating mattress pads might be in our future for cruises we are able to drive to. $28 each, worth it for a good night rest!

k2-_f52cd292-5cd5-4757-be32-cae0e6b4abea.v1.jpg-d781e6888d6c15914cfef870491cac132216ee9b-optim-450x450.jpg

omg this is the state of things on Royal Caribbean?

Bringing your own mattresses and chicken.

omg this is the state of things on Royal Caribbean?

Bringing your own mattresses and chicken.

Don't know anything about bringing my own chicken. I read the first page of that thread and quit. :eek:

This is a two inch thick camping pad, and after my nine night experience on Rhapsody in October sailing in a suite... Yes, I'd say unfortunately for us this is the state of RCI cruising at the moment. Most other cruise lines and hotels like to tout their mattresses. At the moment, some bean counter at RCI has prevailed in the corporate mattress selection contest.

Not practical if we are flying, but when we sail from our homeport I'd have no problem packing a couple of these. Never needed them in the past, but seriously considering them for the future.

This is really sad. I love Royal Caribbean but having a comfortable bed on vacation, to me, is THE most important thing in my cabin. I can deal with the small space, I can even deal with noisy neighbours, but a rock hard mattress! Come on Royal Caribbean, I hope your listening. This needs to be fixed!

Made me smile.

However, if you have paid for a cruise, why why why does one have to bring as standard an inflatable bed ?

Or a chicken ?

Am i mad ?

Not mad at all... Very reasonable expectations in my opinion.

There are currently two threads I see going right now about these stupid new mattresses and then them adding insult to injury by no longer providing egg crates.

Hoping previously mentioned bean counter loses their job and previous level of comfort is brought back or even improved upon!

You see people in Galveston who are lugging their pillows and blankies from home.

I my self, have taken my pillow several times. Thought the occasional topper was a little over the top:), but now.....?

We are already toting our Tommy Bahama beach chairs to Goff's Caye. We'll just add the toppers.

Edited by BecciBoo

Just adding to the conversation to say that my bed on the Serenade last month was definitely straight from the Flintstones - hard as a rock. I had Stewart ;) put extra padding on it, presumably a duvet or two, and it helped but not much. I still woke up with a back ache every day of the cruise :(

O.K. that does it, I am going to vacuum suck my Temperpedic toppers into jet bags and bring them for our Liberty sailing just to be safe. Thanks for the heads up....

When I bought mine at the store, i was shocked at how heavy those suckers are!!

I wondered how sanitary those foam egg crate toppers were.......so I guess they figured out they weren't that great to pass on to each new passenger. I had seen some sad ones out in the hallway on change over day.:eek:

What about sleeping on a mattress that has new passengers week in and week out? Who knows how long those mattresses are on the beds before they're replaced...

We have emailed the Special Needs dept at Royal.

We are sailing the Freedom soon, and we have requested the eggcrates from Royal.. Lets see what happens....

Requesting the extra duvets from the cabin attendant is a good idea also..

Thanks Cruise Critic Posters......

I'm really bummed , I can't sleep on a hard matresses . Guess I'll be stopping at Target for a memory foam topper but it is a little heavy to be lugging around until we get into our cabin. I wonder if I put a tag on it if it would make it to my cabin.

Loved all my matresses on Carnival and this is one more thing to add to the list of difference that I'm not fond of. I've looked so forward to the Allure to not enjoy it , it's too bad it's one more disappointment.

Edited by Midwestgal

Yes, I'd say unfortunately for us this is the state of RCI cruising at the moment. Most other cruise lines and hotels like to tout their mattresses. At the moment, some bean counter at RCI has prevailed in the corporate mattress selection contest.

Maybe they read the threads about the people who need space for their kids to jump on the beds and figured if they went hard to start they could get more use out of them.

What about sleeping on a mattress that has new passengers week in and week out? Who knows how long those mattresses are on the beds before they're replaced...

I can see why some bring their own pillow!! Just too much hassle to fly with it or I would.

Ahoy Mateys...

I already received a response from the special needs department in regard to our egg crate request for our Freedom of the Seas sailing..

Below is the contents of the email response:

Thank you for contacting us with this information. We have gone ahead and made the appropriate notes in the reservations. We will place a mattress topper on embarkation day.

Best regards,

Access Staff