Staying at a port of call for extra time

banderboo

I'm looking at possibly doing a Canadian cruise later this fall and I'd like to spend extra time at one of the ports and meet up with the ship the following day at the next port. Is it possible to pre-arrange this?

Generally, yes. But you must contact Royal Caribbean and find out what is involved and get permission.

I can't put my hands on the email address. I hope that someone who remembers it chimes in.

:)

You need to ask RCI but it must be doable, otherwise what happens to someone who misses the ship unintentionally.

If a cabotage law would be broken People who miss the ship might not be able to re-board in the next port of call and there might be a fine for the breakage as well.

I´ve read stories about People missing the ship and missing most of the cruise due to this, as they were not able to re-board for days due to the cabotage law.

But, I would imagine the customs/immigration/home land security to mention some might be a mess to deal with in this day and age. Especially if you jump ship in Canada and board again in the US or the reverse, and even within Canada. Who knows what NEW RULES PROCEDURES will be Implemented.

In some places, with some home ports and itineraries, this is doable, but in recent years cruises that home port in US ports have been restricting this more and more. I do know that Canada has cabotage laws, but I'm not as familiar with them as I am with PVSA, so I can't say whether this would be allowed.

Generally, for cruises starting and ending in US ports, downstream (later port after embarkation) boarding and upstream (earlier port) disembarking has been very limited by the cruise lines in the last couple of years. This is due to CBP rules. Since the passenger manifest produced at embarkation is used by CBP to screen passengers during the cruise, the post cruise customs interview is very cursory, just comparing name/face to manifest. However, when someone boards late or leaves early, a new manifest must be submitted, and CBP now treats the cruise as a "non-closed loop" cruise (which doesn't change the ability to use a DL/BC for ID), but they must treat the post cruise customs interview differently, more like a TA cruise.

I know that Canada does not require passenger manifest, in recent years they have made it clear that those ships who do not present one can get extra scrutiny at every Canadian port. So, this may affect your ability to leave and rejoin the ship, as new manifests will need to be submitted, and whether to US or Customs, it costs every time a new manifest is submitted.

Another factor is that since you would be entering Canada when the ship sails from your first port, and leaving Canada at the second port, instead of having temporary clearance granted to ship's passengers, there would need to be a customs agent to check your passport for entry and exit, and this will cost the line extra as well.

These are all the potential roadblocks, but it is RCI's decision as to whether they will allow it.

Within EU/Schengen this would not be a problem at all from customs pov.

Restrictions: Certain countries, such as the U.S., Italy and Norway, have cabotage laws affecting passenger movements. These laws restrict foreign flag passenger vessels (such as those operated by Royal Caribbean) from transporting guests from one port to another port in the same country. In the U.S., the cabotage law applicable to the cruise industry is commonly called the Jones Act but is legally titled the Passengers Services Act.

The port I'd like extra time in is Halifax NS catching the ship again in New Brunswick. My mom's family is from Halifax so I'd like to do some genealogy research while I'm there and possible meet up with some of the relatives that still live in the area. I might be able to get everything done in the allotted time but I'd rather just not have to worry about time.

I'll contact RCI for confirmation but thanks for the info so I know what to ask for.

Edited by banderboo