Just back from Silhouette, brief thoughts

cruise kitty

Elevators on cruise ships are always a hassle. I've been in personal training for the past 3.5 months with a goal of being able to take the stairs on the ship for all floors, for all 7 days. It's enabled me to lose 20 pounds (to date) and lowered both my Hemoglobin A1C and Fasting Glucose levels.

The other trick I've learned, is to take the elevator down a floor, then be on it when everyone else is lined up to board. This works well after muster and dining times. :)

Pretty sad situation if we have nothing better than to argue about geographic personalities. I'm from the South and often observe and agree with the writer. There is a difference, folks. If you don't believe it, you have led a sheltered life.

The pushy crowd demographic is a December thing. They empty out of the retirement communities of those who migrated from the Northeast. If you sail out of Florida at other times of the year you won't encounter much of that.

'Snow birds gone sour'. sounds like a horror flick.:eek:

Thanks Charles, it's nice to get confirmation from someone who was on the ship with us. Yes, we were told by the staff that this was a situation very specific to sailing out of Florida in December, & I'd like to reiterate, it was a great cruise in almost all aspects, & this was one small part that I felt had to comment on...

That is not an "East Coast" thing, that is a "rude person" thing. I have experienced that kind of behavior all over the world. I am from the East Coast, and I have manners. Just saying! :D

Unfortunately for your area there is a stereotype of "rude, pushy, brash" people. Perhaps it's the accent, or just a manner that some don't understand.

Personally I've met nice people from all over, as well as the opposite.

Lot's of stereotypes are flat out wrong, like thinking slow talking southerners are slow in the head. Only some of us are. :o

Elevators on cruise ships are always a hassle. I've been in personal training for the past 3.5 months with a goal of being able to take the stairs on the ship for all floors, for all 7 days. It's enabled me to lose 20 pounds (to date) and lowered both my Hemoglobin A1C and Fasting Glucose levels.

The other trick I've learned, is to take the elevator down a floor, then be on it when everyone else is lined up to board. This works well after muster and dining times. :)

I don't need to lose any pounds. Been trying to gain 5 pounds :) I usually do take the stairs but my friend has knee problems.

Another antedote. The last day which is a sea day at the lunch buffet which was very crowded, they ran low on utensils. So we put our plates of food on a table and went looking. I found a crew member handing them out and returned to the table. Four ladies were standing by the table looking at the plates full of untouched food. So I said those were ours. They said they needed that particular table because it was square and they needed it to play their game and no other table would work for their game. I told them we had a hard time finding an empty table and were not giving it up. They still wanted us to move so they could play whatever game they were playing, not sure if it was cards or Mah Jong.

Edited by Charles4515

I would imagine if someone from out of town was suddenly brought to L.A. & dropped in a car on the 405, you'd think we were all absolutely insane drivers... who are texting, checking ourselves out in the mirror, drinking our chai lattes all at the same time, :D we're not all that way, but that's sure how it'd look.

Ain't that the truth! You can add in the 5, 605, 91, 10, 20, 60 and a whole bunch more. A 65 mph speed limit here means that you can drive 85 tailgating the car in front of you! Even the trucks drive 70 or 75!

We took a 7 day Caribbean cruise on Reflection earlier this year and thoroughly enjoyed our trip, but can relate to your experiences aboard. The Caribbean booze cruises are just not our thing.

I'm interested to know after reading this thread what are the typical stereotypes for British people, from a US perspective (obviously, relating to those of us that cruise)? Just wondering, no offence will be taken :D. Are we somewhere between the 'brash' and the 'slow' :eek: :D :p?

Also, I presume a snow bird is someone who migrates south in the winter e.g. From NJ to Fl? And is the gated communities those that live in retirement homes in Fl? Do they rent out their homes during the summer or spend the summer in Fl and cruise throughout the winter? Just trying to keep up with all the terminology ready for when I retire, in a few decades ;).

I wouldn't fret too much about the 2017 Europe prices right now. You are not alone and IMHO, they are going to have to perk them to death to fill the ships. More than likely you'll see some very significant discounting between now and then. Europe bookings in 2016 are way down (per discussion with future cruise folks on the equinox last week)....many cancellations, etc. Consider doing Europe in 2016....

Hi I am not so sure that Europe bookings are down. They ran a promotion in the UK (don't know if it was in Europe generally) where the second guest's cost was 50% and a lot of booking happened when that was on. They ran something similar which just ended. In September there were no CS and above available on any Southampton departure for all of 2016.

We cancelled a booking and rebooked it under the offer. Lost the deposit but still saved $2000.

I'm interested to know after reading this thread what are the typical stereotypes for British people, from a US perspective (obviously, relating to those of us that cruise)? Just wondering, no offence will be taken :D. Are we somewhere between the 'brash' and the 'slow' :eek: :D :p?.

Brits are just like everyone else - most are very nice but a very few are rude. What I like most about Brits are your good manners, you know how to dress for dinner, and your accent (although it sounds like Greek to me :D)........oh, and my British friends are still trying to teach me what a proper cup of tea is; I'm a slow learner! I want to give a special shout out to our very good cruising mates, Derek and Marie from Southampton.

I'm interested to know after reading this thread what are the typical stereotypes for British people, from a US perspective (obviously, relating to those of us that cruise)? Just wondering, no offence will be taken :D. Are we somewhere between the 'brash' and the 'slow' :eek: :D :p?

Other than the fact that you eat baked beans with your breakfast and only drink tea (we'll overlook the pinapple and shrimp pizzas), you're just like us although you talk funny and have a tendency to queue for most everything :)

Also, I presume a snow bird is someone who migrates south in the winter e.g. From NJ to Fl? And is the gated communities those that live in retirement homes in Fl? Do they rent out their homes during the summer or spend the summer in Fl and cruise throughout the winter? Just trying to keep up with all the terminology ready for when I retire, in a few decades ;).

The term snowbird is misused here quite often. A snow bird is someone who spends the winter or a significant portion of it in florida and then returns north for spring, summer and fall....much like migrating birds. Once one moves to florida they are no longer snow birds.

Snowbirds are indeed someone who migrates to warmer climes in the winter, however not only Northeast to Southeast. On the US west coast, they migrate to Arizona. (I think Ghstudio may be one of those pushy Northeasterners:D)

Gated communities are found all over the US, but are prolific in Florida .(don't want riff faff getting in!) If one spends the summers in Florida, they are not a snowbird; just an old person who can't afford 2 homes.

As for what we think of you Brits, I've never met one on a cruise that I did not like, so who knows. God save the Queen!

you're just like us although you talk funny and have a tendency to queue for most everything :)

We are conditioned to queue from a very early age - queue jumping is a very BIG No No :D!

Thanks to you and Rich for the clarification on the 'migrations' :).

Nice to hear, in the main, we are considered to have good manners ;). I would be appalled if I thought my children were rude to anyone.

Snowbirds are indeed someone who migrates to warmer climes in the winter, however not only Northeast to Southeast. On the US west coast, they migrate to Arizona. (I think Ghstudio may be one of those pushy Northeasterners:D)

guilty of being a NorthEasterner

Gated communities are found all over the US, but are prolific in Florida .(don't want riff faff getting in!) If one spends the summers in Florida, they are not a snowbird; just an old person who can't afford 2 homes.

I believe you are right about why gated communities were originally gated...but I think today the gates are more to keep the "silver alert" folks from wandering out :) There are some communities where they think that the ambulances that keep passing are taxis :) (don't flame me...I heard that from someone who lived in one of those communities).

As for what we think of you Brits, I've never met one on a cruise that I did not like, so who knows. God save the Queen!

I'd echo that sentiment.

Edited by ghstudio

I believe you are right about why gated communities were originally gated...but I think today the gates are more to keep the "silver alert" folks from wandering out :)

You may be right there, it seems to be more common to need to keep the people in rather than out.:(

guilty of being a NorthEasterner

I believe you are right about why gated communities were originally gated...but I think today the gates are more to keep the "silver alert" folks from wandering out :) There are some communities where they think that the ambulances that keep passing are taxis :) (don't flame me...I heard that from someone who lived in one of those communities).

I'd echo that sentiment.

The funny thing is that many of the gates are unmanned!

As a life-long Northeasterner (not from NJ or NY -- there are other places in the Northeast) who has a house in Florida -- in a gated community with a staffed guard house -- I can't wait to be a snowbird and cruise in mid-December.

I promise to patiently wait my turn in line.

mac_tlc