Why all the complaints?

woodley

The reason why people complain here is because Celebrity monitors these boards. Personally, I think posting a complaint on social media (facebook, twitter or a public message board) is far more effective than sending an email to a customer service department.

A few years ago when chocolates were taken away a lot of people complained repetitively. As a result, Celebrity started offering chocolates again. Likewise, last year Celebrity introduced boarding based on what deck you were on. A lot of people complained and that practice has since been discontinued on most sailings.

Another great example is the outcome of one of the recent NCL changes (I'm not comparing two cruise lines, just an observation).

Someone in NCL HQ decided to implement a new rule :no more taking food from the buffet area to your cabin. Period. You want food in your cabin, pay for the room service.

The social media exploded. Long story short NCL cancelled the new obviously not well thought out decision. The CEO sent out an e-mail informing their patrons about the cancellation and apologized "for inconvenience" :)

By the way I do not consider chocolates on the pillow to be a major consideration for booking a cruise :) but it were those little touches that made a cruise special.

Edited by Aldeya

By all means, keep on laughing, but apparently you have completely missed the point.

Just about all cruise problems are first world problems.

Taking a luxury cruise is a first world type of vacation.

So, from a marketing perspective - "Celebrity: It's better than Zimbabwe or Haiti?" I'll be honest. It's probably not the winner idea you might think. ;)

By all means, keep on laughing, but apparently you have completely missed the point.

Just about all cruise problems are first world problems.

Taking a luxury cruise is a first world type of vacation.

Certainly most (if not all) of us who are able to cruise are grateful for the ability to do so.

People are only complaining about not receiving what they were promised and were expecting when they booked and paid for their cruise.

To give a parallel example, if you order a new luxury car with the features you want, pay for it in advance, and then when you receive the car, the radio is missing or the air conditioner or the windows are not working, or even if the upholstery is stained or there is a dent in the body, I doubt that you would be happy with it and meekly accept what you receive without complaint.

Imagine pointing out the items that are defective or missing, only to be told that you should be grateful to have this wonderful car, and how you should not complain about such first world problems because most people in the world would be thrilled and thankful to have such a car at all. :eek:

I may have missed whatever point you were trying to make, but I'm certainly in agreement with the OP. There are a lot of things that are extremely inconsequential in the grander scheme of things that get complained about, and made a big deal over, when there are so many fantastic things that are taken from granted.

A two week cruise is not the same as buying a luxury car, it's more similar to renting one as one of the other posters stated.

Simple point is, if you don't like the details of your (admitted) first world experience, then do something else. But I won't let your complaints bring me down or change my mind on what I want for my holiday.

I may have missed whatever point you were trying to make, but I'm certainly in agreement with the OP. There are a lot of things that are extremely inconsequential in the grander scheme of things that get complained about, and made a big deal over, when there are so many fantastic things that are taken from granted.

Simple point is, if you don't like the details of your (admitted) first world experience, then do something else. .

What people do not get is that there is an implied contract or understanding that you will receive certain amenities when you book a particular class. Some amenities may be a difference maker in having made that decision. Suddenly changing the terms without notification is not a good way to do business.

What people do not get is that there is an implied contract or understanding that you will receive certain amenities when you book a particular class. Some amenities may be a difference maker in having made that decision. Suddenly changing the terms without notification is not a good way to do business.

Precisely the point I was trying to make....

I think we all get that. My upcoming itinerary has been changed with no consultation to me, I found out through here and had to chase over a couple of days to get the official notification. But, I'm still going on a cruise, and I'm still excited about it. If I wasn't, I would cancel it because of the change.

There's a big difference between expressing displeasure and renegotiating the terms of the agreement, and multiple multiple threads of people threatening to never cruise X again because their dress code changed. And please, let's be honest, if you were X, would you have consulted everyone on every decision? Of course not! You'd never get anything done!

And let's not mention the number of threads where cruisers give advice to each other on how to smuggle contraband onboard and contravene the rules - I'm pretty sure that's breaching the contract they have with X, but apparently it only counts when it's X perpetrating.....

I am a true-blue Celebrity loyalist (first cruise in 1993) am about three cruises shy of zenith. Although I haven't taken a Caribbean cruise since the Solstice inaugural, I've been keeping Celebrity's and the airlines' coffers full with longer cruises within and to/from Europe for over a decade. I don't know if I'll ever be satisfied with anything except Celebrity but for now, I'm unwilling to spend the money I'd be charged for European cruises and TAs. I've compared my most recent cruises to current fares and for me, solo, the eye-popping increases are $2500 (TAs) - $4000 higher for the same itineraries. In fact, a balcony is higher than what I paid for a suite in Summer 2014. This is occurring as fuel prices plummet and the dollar is strong against the Euro. I'm not leaving Celebrity because of the removal of water from AQ cabins and such, however, Celebrity's pricing decisions make me sad I can't cruise on Celebrity for now. Bummer. :(

Edited by goofysmom99

I think we all get that. My upcoming itinerary has been changed with no consultation to me, I found out through here and had to chase over a couple of days to get the official notification. But, I'm still going on a cruise, and I'm still excited about it. If I wasn't, I would cancel it because of the change.

There's a big difference between expressing displeasure and renegotiating the terms of the agreement, and multiple multiple threads of people threatening to never cruise X again because their dress code changed. And please, let's be honest, if you were X, would you have consulted everyone on every decision? Of course not! You'd never get anything done!

And let's not mention the number of threads where cruisers give advice to each other on how to smuggle contraband onboard and contravene the rules - I'm pretty sure that's breaching the contract they have with X, but apparently it only counts when it's X perpetrating.....

Hitting the "like" button.

I go on a cruise to enjoy the whole concept of cruising, and if something negative pops up that I feel I should report it, then I do so in a reasonable manner. After that I completely move on. It doesn't matter where you travel land, air or sea, things happen but unless it is something really serious, IMHO I do not see the point of venting on any blog as the next person who reads it is likely to knock it flying!! lol:D

I go on a cruise to enjoy the whole concept of cruising, and if something negative pops up that I feel I should report it, then I do so in a reasonable manner. After that I completely move on. It doesn't matter where you travel land, air or sea, things happen but unless it is something really serious, IMHO I do not see the point of venting on any blog as the next person who reads it is likely to knock it flying!! lol:D

Here here - maybe it's our antipodean sensibilities, Kiwi ;-)

You can't be more mistaken. Many people DO switch the lines.

We are some of those people

We will consider what works for US. But make no mistake, people DO vote with their wallets. All the time.They are just not very vocal about it on CC boards.

We have sailed on Princess, RCCL< & Celebrity in the last 5 years, we understand.

I just get a kick out of reading those that are vocal about doing what we do, but are always on a Celebrity Roll Call thread. Kinda makes ya go hummmm now don't it. ;)

What's your basis for this comment? Words are easy to spit out, facts to back them up, not so easy. I doubt if you have any.

All I can do is scan the threads here on the Celebrity board and keep watch for a new and wonderful post by someone that has moved on and found a similar line, and then let us know that it fulfilled their requirements.

I still am having a hard time finding some. That is the basis for my comment.

It's just after 26 cruises we pretty much know what works for US and prefer to spend our money accordingly.

Fair enough, but rather than telling us what doesn't work for you, RC and X, why don't you tell us what cruise line does work for you. Being positive is much more productive than being negative and it improves our outlook on life.

.......Varoo-

I would not compare the booking of a few weeks cruising to the purchase of a new car. It is more like a rental car and usually you do not get the specific car you booked but one in that category.

Okay, I'm fine with the rental car comparison, if you prefer that.

Also with a hotel room comparison,

as when booking a hotel room one does not usually book a specific room but one in that category.

Yet people do expect to receive the advertised amenities that are supposed to come with the category of car or hotel room, or cruise stateroom they book.

When something is missing or broken, they do not expect to be lectured about how their first-world complaint is trivial, and that they should be happy they are fortunate to have the cruise (or car or hotel room) at all.

It comes down to expectations.

In the past, Celebrity used to take pride in exceeding expectations.

Different features matter to different people..

Something that is important to me may be of no concern to someone else, and vice-versa.

So even though I personally may not care about pillow chocolates, or bottled water, or flowers, or the shower enclosure, or whatever, I would not belittle or trivialize the concerns of those who do care about them.

Fair enough, but rather than telling us what doesn't work for you, RC and X, why don't you tell us what cruise line does work for you. Being positive is much more productive than being negative and it improves our outlook on life.

Fair enough :) An honest answer would be that we are still looking for that cruise line. You know, the lucky middle between NCL and Crystal :D

We'll keep trying new cruise lines and experiences.

We absolutely love cruising so we'll keep looking. Wish us luck :)

Fair enough :) An honest answer would be that we are still looking for that cruise line. You know, the lucky middle between NCL and Crystal :D

You might want to look at Azamara or Oceania.

Edited by El Crucero

In the 2000's we started a search for that cruise line, and it was Celebrity, for us it still us. I really haven't had a bad cruising experience with them, a few disappointments yes, but we still like them.

There is no doubt better, but not in the price range. I never understand people that just don't get that you get what you pay for. If you(not the OP, everyone in general) don't think the Celebrity product is worth what they're asking then try to find something you're happy with in the price range you want to pay.

I've said this before and I'll repeat it. You can get the product that Celebrity used to be, you're just going to have to pay two or three times as much for it. Oceania is full of past guests from Celebrity and Holland America, of course not all of them are happy with Oceania either.

People can't have everything, low price and a high quality product. Each person has to decide which is important to them.

In the 2000's we started a search for that cruise line, and it was Celebrity, for us it still us.................People can't have everything, low price and a high quality product. Each person has to decide which is important to them.

You are right and at this time it is still Celebrity for us with Princess a distant (but acceptable with caveats) second.

For those who respond, "but Celebrity has high prices and low quality" it is time for you to search for a different cruise line, plain and simple.

You are right and at this time it is still Celebrity for us with Princess a distant (but acceptable with caveats) second.

For those who respond, "but Celebrity has high prices and low quality" it is time for you to search for a different cruise line, plain and simple.

Wow, you really love to tell people what to do. Many of these people have a lot of experience cruising on Celebrity ships, probably a lot more than you do, and I'm sure are perfectly capable of deciding for themselves.

Is it possible to just tell everyone how wonderful YOU think the Celebrity experience is without telling them to go elsewhere?

Maybe if you had little more experience under your belt you may realize that recently there have been a lot more "real" problems than there ever used to be.

I have about 600 days on board Celebrity ships and have always been a promoter of the product. I do, however, understand that have been a lot of substantial changes in the last 18 months and it's not just the little things I'm speaking of. All one has to do is read the daily programs lately to see what is happening. A Celebrity cruise used to be an all around experience with lots of great food, good entertainment and many terrific activities each day.

The food, for the most part is still good and the crew still really try to provide great service, although they have been burdened with a lot more to do which makes it impossible to provide the really personalized service they used to. The entertainment has taken a hit with a lot less quality entertainers on board and the really big difference is in the daily activities which have gone from many interesting free options to most being sales pitches. The activities staff has been decimated.

There are obviously many people who are satisfied with a drink package and a lounge chair and that's fine, but for those who have experienced all the other offerings that Celebrity used to provide, it's a bit disappointing.

I think all the pricing games Celebrity has been playing also adds to the dissatisfaction that many feel.

I still enjoy my Celebrity cruises but I have a lot more open to me than most cruisers.

There is value in discussing these things here as it is a resource that Celebrity does use in determining their direction.

Edited by Ma Bell

There are obviously many people who are satisfied with a drink package and a lounge chair and that's fine, but for those who have experienced all the other offerings that Celebrity used to provide, it's a bit disappointing.

Perhaps Celebrity's new policy is to give the passengers enough to drink and they won't notice all of the other cuts. They can just walk around like zombies with a smile on their face.

Orv...

I have reread your post a few times. I used to think this too, i just had to upgrade to get it, but this was not true on my last 19 days. While I am willing to consider the conditions were a one off, I am not yet sure they were. For sure before I spend that kind of money again, I want a bit of reassurance. Otherwise its back to SS and AQ for me.

Ma Bell..

Thank you for precisely listing recent changes. Its not easy to want to support a show but realize I am doing so the way I used to support college productions.

The crew trying with their hands tied did seem like an accurate description of our latest experience. If one did not know what great intuitive service ever was they would not recognize when it is absent.

Finally, it is such bad form to not deliver on promises no matter how trite they may be to some. This goes at every level of customer experience from booking to survey form.

The just ask so we can say yes and then get a series of no's for normal requests really has me concerned for the company's consistency.