Why all the complaints?

woodley

We are not longtime cruisers, our second on Celebrity will be in January and we cruised them the first time last year. I cannot speak to what once was regarding Celebrity but I can weigh-in with my perspective about complaints. I believe many people have an inflated sense of influence because of the internet. Others simply repeat the same complaints over and over and over. One member has not sailed Celebrity since 2013 because they were upset. Yet they continue to logon to this board and reiterate their stale issues.

Is it possible that Celebrity and the travel industry accepts a significant amount of noise because of this?

Why all the complaints?

Our answer, quite simply, is that we are unhappy about being charged a lot more than previously to book Celebrity cruises (during a time of little to no inflation) and receiving a lot less.

In other words, we don't want to pay their inflated cruise prices for their Big-Better-Best program.

But it is certainly a good deal for the cruise line.

As long as they can attract so many passengers who believe that they are getting a bargain with "free" booze, "free" internet, etc. the policy is unlikely to change.

If passengers drink enough, they are unlikely to notice all the little things that are missing.

Besides, new cruisers who book for the "free" booze packages are most likely unaware of all the little cutbacks made that diminish the Celebrity experience provided previously.

Edited by varoo

Very simple, try to get a better deal elsewhere.
Yes, that is exactly what we have done,

as have many others, I am sure.

But it is not something one can count on every time.

Sometimes a better deal comes along, and sometimes it doesn't.

The best discounts on Celebrity prices, when offered, may come without any perks, and not everyone qualifies for them.

So when a lower price is offered for which you are eligible, depending upon one's priorities, each time it is a matter of evaluating whether you are better off taking the bargain fare without the perks, or paying the higher fare with the perks.

Often it is a no-brainer and the decision is obvious, such as when we are offered a much better deal on another cruise line,

or when Celebrity is offering a deeply discounted price for which we qualify.

Usually, a TA will offer additional perks as an incentive to give them your booking, even if you book at a discounted price without the Celebrity perks.

A lot can depend on how flexible you are willing and able to be.

Edited by varoo

Very simple, try to get a better deal elsewhere.

This has defacto become the typical response by Celebrity apologists....if you don't like it go away.

We have been on 3 Celebrity cruises and are going on or 4th for the Super Bowl cruise. We enjoyed them all.

Our first was fantastic, the experience, the food, the itinerary, the staff was all first class. We have seen a decline in service and food and an increase of prices. Our next cruise will be the one in which we will make a decision if Celebrity will still be out choice of cruise lines.

This is not a complaint, it is just a matter of getting our monies worth and if Celebrity is really that much above to justify the increase in price. There are so many lines out there now with itineraries being almost equal (only so many islands in the Caribbean :) ) another line may fit into our budget better.

Yes, I have been to other forums during my research for another cruise and complaints abound about them as well but, as someone has said, forums are typical avenues for complainers and reviews are generally the more positive areas.

I do find, on this Celebrity forum, some very passionate Celebrity folks that become quite obstinate when their line is criticized, more so than on other forums. Passionate and loyalty is one thing but, there could possibly be other options and there is no need to just say "go away" or "get your deal elsewhere" or worse.

Host Andy has even stated that Celebrity may have made a mistake and even he is looking elsewhere. Good on ya Andy.

Anyway, we will see after the next cruse where we will be putting our vacation dollars. It has been a couple years since our last cruise Celebrity and I am very interested to see first hand what is going on. Hopefully it will not be near as bad as some of the threads are complaining about.

Edited by pete_coach

Woodley - You tried to shed a positive light and now it has taken, possibly, another route of which you did not intend or did you?

At any rate, thank you for starting the thread....

bon voyage all, bon voyage...

Pete

Just a comment on your post.

One thing I love about Cruise Critic is that the Hosts all just state their own opinions and aren't shills for any cruise line. (Although, I've wondered about some of the "regular" posters on here in the past)

Host Andy seems to be the most involved, though. And I have come to really trust his unbiased opinion. :)

(And, no, I'm not his mother, or his sister! :p ;) )

Pete

One thing I love about Cruise Critic is that the Hosts all just state their own opinions and aren't shills for any cruise line. (Although, I've wondered about some of the "regular" posters on here in the past)

Host Andy seems to be the most involved, though. And I have come to really trust his unbiased opinion. :)

I respect Host Andy as well and did in no way intend my comments to be a knock against him. Just saying that even he has some concerns about the way forward that Celebrity has taken.

I apologize if my comment can be misconstrued as a criticism of Andy or or implying he is a shill for Celebrity, it is not.

I did not intend for this thread to become yet another celebrity complaints thread. I wanted to hear from all the people like my self that enjoy the experience and why.

I am not loyal to any cruise line I will pick the itinerary first that fits my time scale and do like to try different ships. All the cruises that I have been on have had some things I like and some things I don't. I find life on land just the same there are things I like and things I don't as well as people I like and some, lets just say I avoid. That in my opinion is quite normal. I do not have the expectation that I will go on a ship and everything will be perfect. I also do not need "to be served". I realize that things move on and change and change is healthy. Perhaps those that complain all the time should try out some of the new offers and ideas, it may give them a new lease of life and they just may find that they like them.

I have read some posts that say Celebrity is trying to attract a younger clientele. That makes perfect business sense to me. Younger people have more time and money left to go on more cruises and spend more money. Age is just a number I have met some 70 & 80 year old's who behave younger and are more active than some 40-50 year olds.

I still think cruising is the most comfortable way to travel and see the world. I like to see a good mix of all ages and I enjoy all the changes that happen as cruise companies compete for our custom.

I

Pete, I was AGREEING with you, not criticizing you.

Sorry, I guess what I said was misconstrued. :o

No need to apologize, I understood you ...perhaps, like someone said, the written word does not always reflect tone or intent.

happy cruising.

Woodley, it is interesting how these threads take on a life and meaning of their own, regardless of the OP's intent. Discussion sometimes become critiques and criticism is sometimes taken personally (even though it is intended for a corporation).

You done good. The topic was obviously worth discussing. :)

That is a cheap shot! One could easily assert that some of the complainers on this Forum could be shills for other cruise lines!

That is a cheap shot! One could easily assert that some of the complainers on this Forum could be shills for other cruise lines!

How is that a cheap shot? It's a compliment to the hosts on CC that they DO state their honest opinion and aren't just cheerleaders for the lines whose threads they are hosts for.

Host Andy is honest and I appreciate it....

Again, sorry.

There was one poster a couple of years ago that I actually reported to CC because , no matter what anyone said, that person disagreed and tried to show how the cruise line was wonderful. I did notice that that person disappeared so..................

Pete

Folks just have to agree to disagree , as some have issues with the cruise line and others don't. It doesn't mean anyone is a shill; it is just that people have different expectations, likes and dislikes. Edited by NLH Arizona

I realize that things move on and change and change is healthy. Perhaps those that complain all the time should try out some of the new offers and ideas, it may give them a new lease of life and they just may find that they like them.

I

I do not consider replacing live music with a DJ as being a healthy change. Nor do I view a dramatic reduction in activities being offered a healthy change.

When I see prices increasing and the quality of the product decreasing, it is important to speak up. I still do have a great time when cruising but am questioning the current value.

Again, sorry.

There was one poster a couple of years ago that I actually reported to CC because , no matter what anyone said, that person disagreed and tried to show how the cruise line was wonderful. I did notice that that person disappeared so..................

Folks just have to agree to disagree , as some have issues with the cruise line and others don't. It doesn't mean anyone is a shill; it is just that people have different expectations, likes and dislikes.

What did you expect with the title of your original post "Why all the complaints"?

Unfortunately the thread has turned into a complaint thread about the posters in the thread.

A shame a good discussion can be so misconstrued and turn into folks accusing others for point they are trying to make.

Unfortunately the thread has turned into a complaint thread about the posters in the thread.

A shame a good discussion can be so misconstrued and turn into folks accusing others for point they are trying to make.

Well said. What you describe is a popular political technique of demonizing the person rather than discussing the actual issue. In the past year we have been very critical of HAL (a line that we have cruised about 350 days) and a few HAL lovers will routinely criticize me with comments like "you just hate HAL," "we know you only love Celebrity," etc. But those same folks simply refuse to address the actual complaint or issue (probably because they know its true). So when you don't like the message, attack the messenger?

Hank

Well said. What you describe is a popular political technique of demonizing the person rather than discussing the actual issue. In the past year we have been very critical of HAL (a line that we have cruised about 350 days) and a few HAL lovers will routinely criticize me with comments like "you just hate HAL," "we know you only love Celebrity," etc. But those same folks simply refuse to address the actual complaint or issue (probably because they know its true). So when you don't like the message, attack the messenger?

Hank

Really good point

Hank

Simple fact the people do not like change and complain about even something tiny like the chocolates or water in AQ cabins. Guess for those feeling a bit pinched they might remember they could bring water and chocolate on board at every port. Celebrity has a dilemma of trying to keep cabins full, prices down, and maximizing prices. A nice World crisis would bring prices down nicely, but then would you want to travel?

I have been reading these boards for quite a few years and have been on about 30 cruises across most cruise lines. I am amazed how much complaining is going on. If you like me have never had domestic staff & still work, every day on board ship is gift full of relaxation and fun where I can travel in comfort.

If we eat in a venue on board and don't like the food then we find something we do like in another place. There are so many choices and we always find more than enough that we do like. If I don't get a towel animal or a pillow chocolate it does not spoil my vacation, when I do get one it makes me smile.

If my bottled water (aqua)isn't complementary any more i will pick one up at the bar before I go back to my room.

All the cruise lines are trying to keep prices low and are making small cut backs some of which you can arrange to have in your cabin if you pay more. For example you can order a water package, chocolates and flowers to be in your room. I would prefer lower prices and the option to pay for the extras if I want them.

The fact that cruise lines are adding more ships and these ships are usually sailing full means there are a lot of people that really enjoy the amenities and service. Perhaps those people who are having a great vacation are too busy working to pay for their next cruise to come on these boards and give the other side of the story which is in my opinion great value for money, the best way to travel and see the world and the most relaxing kind of vacation I have ever taken.

Honestly, you seem like Pollyanna. Cruise lines are not perfect and their mistakes need to be addressed. Where better than on a Cruise Critic form?

Honestly, you seem like Pollyanna. Cruise lines are not perfect and their mistakes need to be addressed. Where better than on a Cruise Critic form?

Or perhaps Woodley is just a "glass half full" person rather than a "glass half empty" person. There is a psychological difference.