Why all the complaints?

woodley

I have been reading these boards for quite a few years and have been on about 30 cruises across most cruise lines. I am amazed how much complaining is going on. If you like me have never had domestic staff & still work, every day on board ship is gift full of relaxation and fun where I can travel in comfort.

If we eat in a venue on board and don't like the food then we find something we do like in another place. There are so many choices and we always find more than enough that we do like. If I don't get a towel animal or a pillow chocolate it does not spoil my vacation, when I do get one it makes me smile.

If my bottled water (aqua)isn't complementary any more i will pick one up at the bar before I go back to my room.

All the cruise lines are trying to keep prices low and are making small cut backs some of which you can arrange to have in your cabin if you pay more. For example you can order a water package, chocolates and flowers to be in your room. I would prefer lower prices and the option to pay for the extras if I want them.

The fact that cruise lines are adding more ships and these ships are usually sailing full means there are a lot of people that really enjoy the amenities and service. Perhaps those people who are having a great vacation are too busy working to pay for their next cruise to come on these boards and give the other side of the story which is in my opinion great value for money, the best way to travel and see the world and the most relaxing kind of vacation I have ever taken.

Very well said!

I grudgingly agree that problems and disappointments need to be brought forward in order to be addressed, however I wholehearted agree with the OP's post. I much prefer to look on the bright side and a cruise is always a reason to celebrate.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

...it also has a lot to do with the way disappointments are brought to attention. Sometimes, it is much better to share these little misfortunes with a person who can actually do something rather than someone who can't. That being said, it is always a crap shoot that I weigh with the element of time on a cruise. However, my last cruise used a lot of my time because Celebrity owed me $150 and kept telling me that it would be posted to my account; it was, but only on the very last day. And yes, I had all my paperwork and being in a suite/elite didn't make it any easier...

...it also has a lot to do with the way disappointments are brought to attention. Sometimes, it is much better to share these little misfortunes with a person who can actually do something rather than someone who can't. That being said, it is always a crap shoot that I weigh with the element of time on a cruise. However, my last cruise used a lot of my time because Celebrity owed me $150 and kept telling me that it would be posted to my account; it was, but only on the very last day. And yes, I had all my paperwork and being in a suite/elite didn't make it any easier...

Bringing these issues to the attention of others is an educational process. Many of us have had problems with OBC being posted and have gotten good advice on how to address the issue. It appears there are some cruisers who are just happy paying for a cruise just to leave home. I expect a quality product from a cruise company that describes itself as "modern luxury".

When we returned from a cruise where the number of activities was dramatically reduced, I called my representative at Celebrity and discussed our disappointment. He welcomed the feedback.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to the OP for raising the question. It's a excellent one.

I think it boils down to a number of items. One glaring item ? So many changes, in such a short period of time. It's making everyone dizzy !!! This leads to questions/comments/confusion/concerns/complaints - you name it.

I also think back, about how much we've absolutely loved the Celebrity product over the years, and the joy they've brought to our lives. There are countless fans out there, who think of Celebrity in an extremely passionate way. I know I do ! Many of us worry about what the future holds, especially in light of the recent changes. While some may see the negativity as "complaining", I do not see it that way at all. I see it as passionate Celebrity guests worrying about Celebrity's future direction, and voicing their concerns.

It also seems that management is on a mission to reinvent Celebrity, and, doing things their way. I believe many would say they are currently tone deaf to guest concerns. While I sincerely appreciate Celebrity's presence on this forum, IMO, we aren't seeing much activity since their assigned representative left the company. I counted 23 posts this month - many of them being generic replies. We desperately need someone that will connect with us, address our concerns, and keep us up to date. Creating some "buzz", along with a positive feeling for the brand, wouldn't hurt either ! We sorely need that right now.

I've been in senior management for over 35 years. One mantra I live by, is that small issues left unattended... become serious issues in a hurry. I see this similar concern with Celebrity. Why not listen to what a growing number of their guests are saying ? Makes a boatload of sense to me. I respect that most executives are under massive pressure to deliver record results, or out they go. I suspect that's amongst the reasons why we're seeing so many changes.

To be clear, I'm not blaming Celebrity management for trying new things - but I strongly feel they should communicate more effectively, and, listen to what's being said. There's nothing wrong with reversing decisions, especially when you realize that guests are not pleased. That's what makes a strong management team.

BTW, I'm expecting some new developments shortly after the first of the year. One of the items I'm hearing about, should please the Celebrity faithful, as long as it's done right. I'm hopeful it will put some smiles on our faces.

Just my .02 cents. Happy Holidays Everyone !

Edited by Host Andy

Very well said!

I wish Celebrity would have a "Bonnie" on this forum!!

Hi Everyone,

I think it boils down to a number of items. One glaring item ? So many changes, in such a short period of time. It's making everyone dizzy !!! This leads to questions/comments/confusion/concerns/complaints - you name it.

I also think back, about how much we've absolutely loved the Celebrity product over the years, and the joy they've brought to our lives. There are countless fans out there, who think of Celebrity in an extremely passionate way. I know I do ! Many of us worry about what the future holds, especially in light of the recent changes. While some may see the negativity as "complaining", I do not see it that way at all. I see it as passionate Celebrity guests worrying about Celebrity's future direction, and voicing their concerns.

It also seems that management is on a mission to reinvent Celebrity, and, doing things their way. I believe many would say they are currently tone deaf to guest concerns. While I sincerely appreciate Celebrity's presence on this forum, IMO, we aren't seeing much activity since their assigned representative left the company. I counted 23 posts this month - many of them being generic replies. We desperately need someone that will connect with us, address our concerns, and keep us up to date. Creating some "buzz", along with a positive feeling for the brand, wouldn't hurt either ! We sorely need that right now.

I've been in senior management for over 35 years. One mantra I live by, is that small issues left unattended... become serious issues in a hurry. I see this similar concern with Celebrity. Why not listen to what a growing number of their guests are saying ? Makes a boatload of sense to me. I respect that most executives are under massive pressure to deliver record results, or out they go. I suspect that's amongst the reasons why we're seeing so many changes.

To be clear, I'm not blaming Celebrity management for trying new things - but I strongly feel they should communicate more effectively, and, listen to what's being said. There's nothing wrong with reversing decisions, especially when you realize that guests are not pleased. That's what makes a strong management team.

BTW, I'm expecting some new developments shortly after the first of the year. One of the items I'm hearing about, should please the Celebrity faithful, as long as it's done right. I'm hopeful it will put some smiles on our faces.

I believe the issue deals with an implied contract. When a person has booked a room in a particular category, it is expected that the amenities that are listed will be honored.

It is ironic that prices for cruises have gone up, cost of fuel has gone down, and there are cutbacks occurring. Plus, check out the bottom lines of the parent companies. They are doing very well.

We just looked at a 14 night cruise in South America for Rio Carnival in 2018. The per diem is $350.00 in AQU. Including taxes, port fees, and one perk it is $700.00 per night for two per people. Of course we would still have to pay for excursions and Carnival tickets. That seems high to us to pay almost 10k on Celebrity which is Mass market. But obviously they are getting these prices since 2016 and 2017 are just about sold out.

A Caribbean cruise we looked at for 2017, also 14 nights currently has a $205.00 per diem for AQU and more what we are used to paying for non Caribbean cruises. Are others saying these prices are less than what they used to be? In the past 10 years?

Celebrity is getting these fares as every cruise we have taken (non Caribbean) has sold out.

Do others think these prices are reasonable?

Edited by Jade13

Hi Everyone,

Merry Christmas Andy!! Well said! This forum, though certainly not a majority of X cruisers has a large following and why the cruiselines don't pay closer attention to it I think is foolish. It's could be a huge marketing tool if utilized properly by the line..... and I don't mean advertising I mean a sincere response to questions/issues posed here translates into AT LEAST a perceived better customer service attitude by the cruiseline....

Unfortunately it's not just X's boards that are falling on "deaf" ears. I have been advised from someone currently on a Seabourn cruise that the staff there is not allowed to attend or assist in Cruise Critic gatherings and this same person on a HAL Alaskan cruise this summer encountered the same when trying to organize a "meet & mingle" for that sailing.

Ignoring a large segment of your clientele is foolish....

Hi Andy,

I'm going to take your suggestion from another thread and not quote your post (although, just so it's clear, that's what I'm referring to here). I agree with everything you said , especially about so many changes (read:cutbacks! :( ) in such a short time.

We also cruise Princess and I'm not seeing those cutbacks there (at least so far) and those boards aren't nearly as negative.

Anyways, I was happily reading along until I got to your last paragraph.

Teasing us, huh??? That's mean. :p

Hi Everyone,

Thanks Andy, you said it perfectly. Many of us have been around a long time and with the changes through the years have never complained because the same philosophy of cruising was still there even if the details changed. There were many things that evolved into something better. Celebrity made those changes gracefully without compromising the product. We've been unbelievably loyal to Celebrity and have been proud and happy to bring our friends and families to them.

Because the Celebrity product was always something we could count on, I know so many people who wouldn't even look at another cruise line. Now it seems that Celebrity isn't really sure what they want to be any more and it makes us question if it's what we want too. If we didn't care so much, we wouldn't be concerned.

Is this forum not called Cruise Critic? Criticism can be positive or negative (although most people would consider "to be critical" a negative posture).

Perhaps a name change to CRUISE COMMENT is in order.

I agree with Andy, perhaps the reason for increased criticism is the increased rate of change and the concomitant reaction of cruisers to the change.

Is this forum not called Cruise Critic? Criticism can be positive or negative (although most people would consider "to be critical" a negative posture).

Perhaps a name change to CRUISE COMMENT is in order.

I agree with Andy, perhaps the reason for increased criticism is the increased rate of change and the concomitant reaction of cruisers to the change.

and that the changes occur with no notice, no communications and not even confirmations here on cruise critic or the other social sites from Celebrity.

IMHO, no one likes to be treated as a number...and most like to receive what they were told they were going to get, irrespective of the fine print.

We also cruise Princess and I'm not seeing those cutbacks there (at least so far) and those boards aren't nearly as negative.

Maybe because Princess made those cuts long ago. We travel "mini-suite" on Princess which is the same price as Aqua. In a mini-suite, no bottled water, no q-tips, no cotton balls, no welcome bottle of sparkling wine, only one stateroom attendant, no special dining room, you have to ask for robes, small thin bath towels, no daily stateroom tea, no Persian Garden, no priority embarkation/disembarkation....and that's just the beginning, all for the same price. Well, they do give you two TVs rather than one.

Although we enjoy both lines, Celebrity is our clear preference.

Andy, very well said.

I previously missed the part about the change in staff for the Celebrity rep on here. I can only imagine how difficult that job would be for a new person. I would be afraid of saying anything based on some of the comments.

I agree the major challenge is the change management. There is almost always going to be a focus on what people do not like. For instance the changes to the Celebrity Suite experience have been amazing, but it is not a focus of comments on the positive side. Also it does not affect most cruisers, but probably just as many as the Aqua Class.

Have a Merry Christmas.

Maybe because Princess made those cuts long ago. We travel "mini-suite" on Princess which is the same price as Aqua. In a mini-suite, no bottled water, no q-tips, no cotton balls, no welcome bottle of sparkling wine, only one stateroom attendant, no special dining room, you have to ask for robes, small thin bath towels, no daily stateroom tea, no Persian Garden, no priority embarkation/disembarkation....and that's just the beginning, all for the same price. Well, they do give you two TVs rather than one.

Although we enjoy both lines, Celebrity is our clear preference.

The things you mention are not cutbacks. They were NEVER part of min-suites on Princess.

You knew if you signed up for that kind of cabin that what you got was the extra space, the sofa, the second TV and a bathtub.

We sail in Aqua on Celebrity but do it for the quieter dining room. Since Princess ships have three regular dining rooms instead of the one huge loud one on Celebrity we are usually happy with a regular balcony cabin.

I DO agree that the name "mini-suite" is misleading. Premium balcony or some such name would have been a better choice.

and that the changes occur with no notice, no communications and not even confirmations here on cruise critic or the other social sites from Celebrity.

IMHO, no one likes to be treated as a number...and most like to receive what they were told they were going to get, irrespective of the fine print.

Or to be treated as if we just don't matter and won't notice any changes/cutbacks.

While it is a good point, it's important to remember that not everyone is comparing a cruise today to one from 20-30 years ago.

We first cruised 10 years ago and took our first cruise on Celebrity 3 years ago. In the past few years we've seen a steady increase in prices, while experiencing a decline in food quality and onboard amenities. Current European cruise prices are double what we paid in 2012 (for the same time of year and similar itinerary). In 2013, we took an 11 day Caribbean cruise on the Equinox - the current price of that sailing is 50% higher.

:eek::eek::eek:

Of course, not arguing with you as I am sure what you say is true for the cruises you book. We have found quite the opposite is true for the cruises we book but we are very flexible with our schedules and itineraries. If I see a deal, I book it but if it is 50% higher than what I paid for it last year or a few years ago, I don't go....but still cruise about 4 times a year and always found a bargain. We don't travel to Europe as we don't have a real desire to fly that far. So, we just have a little different vantage point, I guess. I have always felt as though I have gotten very good values on all my cruises, including Celebrity. The one complaint I would have is that it appears that Celebrity has abandoned us out here on the west coast, with a particular avoidance of sailing in and out of San Francisco. I understand it though ... I was lucky enough to sail on the Infinity last Sept ... SF roundtrip and it was the best cruise ever. Alas, they had to drop the prices like crazy after final payment just to fill the ship. If not a profitable venture for them, I doubt very much they will station a ship over here permanently. Therefore, Princess gets half of my business.

I do feel for you, though as oftentimes, without much time spent searching for a bargain, the pricing is higher. I am paying a bit more than I normally would for their NOLA cruise, although after many weeks of searching, I was able to find a cheaper price on that as well. For me, I have found the food more to my liking as of late and haven't noticed any decline in the amenities that are important to me. I do find that if one is willing to sail in an inside cabin, the prices are still quite good (not everyone is willing to sail in an inside cabin, though). It does seem as though the pricing, when the beverage package is included, really effects the overall pricing for the oceanview staterooms and above but oftentimes, I have noticed the pricing drops after final payment (no perks included) for cruises with a lot of unsold cabins. I hope they don't price us out of going in the future ... we just so love to cruise!

Host Andy

Thank you for your post. It truly says what is on my mind.

I too have had many good cruises on Celebrity and when I see all the change one by one chipping at what is my favorite line, from food quality, loss of flowers, water, activities, less staff in main dining, crowds and wall put up in main dining, and constant sell, sell, sell -- I keep wondering if the next sailing will be my last. When I save up for and pay for my big vacation of the year I don't want to be fending off constant solicitations. No fun.

Time will tell -- next sailing is in a couple of weeks. Andy, do you ever look at pictures of the beautiful and delicious food from the Michael Roux days?

If the younger clientele Celebrity seems to be going after is happy and they can fill the ships, fine, I can go elsewhere. But even younger clientele has to notice that celebrity doesn't seem to know what "Modern Luxury" means. It doesn't mean beef you can't chew, no water bottles in aqua class, and most of all management that doesn't seem to listen to and respond to legitimate concerns.

Andy, you "get it" and I appreciate you.

The things you mention are not cutbacks. They were NEVER part of min-suites on Princess.

So you do agree with me that an Aqua stateroom on Celebrity was and still is a better value than the mini-suite on Princess for the same price, despite the changes. Merry Christmas chamima.