My 1st and 2nd choice is sold out, what are my chances

jbuckent

New to Princess, I am trying to book an Alaska cruise in July 2016. There are 4 of us so we want the mini suite. My first two choices are sold out, southbound and northbound. What are the chances I'd be able to get a room later, do people cancel very often? Is it best for me to book my third choice and then if I find an opening call and switch, or should I book the cruise I want in a different stateroom and then move if the category we want becomes available?

There are not a lot of mini-suites that can accommodate four passengers. Make sure you book all four people as soon as you can as Princess cruises are capacity-controlled. What this means is that even if the cabin can accommodate four people, you may not be able to book all four.

A suggestion, depending on the ages of the 3rd and 4th passengers, is to book a balcony for two on the cruise you want and an inside cabin across the hall.

New to Princess, I am trying to book an Alaska cruise in July 2016. There are 4 of us so we want the mini suite. My first two choices are sold out, southbound and northbound. What are the chances I'd be able to get a room later, do people cancel very often? Is it best for me to book my third choice and then if I find an opening call and switch, or should I book the cruise I want in a different stateroom and then move if the category we want becomes available?

Don't wait! It will sell out.

Quad cabins go fast.

Sounds like you should book something, 3rd choice, different cabin or something and then call princess and get put on a wait list for your first and second choices. If you can handle the deposit and there is no "non-refundable deposit" situations, book a couple of 3rd choices. Good luck! An Alaska cruise is one of our favorites.

Usually cabins open up after final payment, but it is certainly not guaranteed. Book something now for the 4 of you that you'd be satisfied with. Then keep checking the website, especially as that final payment date nears. You can always change to a mini suite that sleeps 4 at that time, might even save a little as prices often come down after final payment.

We're booked for Alaska for next June. I booked the first day the cruise became available and figured I would refare later on at a lower rate. Despite various "sales" that have been promoted since I booked the cost of my cabin has done nothing but go UP. Book now.

As stated above, many TAs will be holding blocks of cabins...and whatever they don't sell by final payment time will get released. Have you tried contacting local and large travel agencies to see if they can find you something. Else, you can take your chances and waitlist for whatever categories you find acceptable. If you're flexible about cabin types, you'll have a better chance. But for four passengers, don't wait to do this as sailings are capacity controlled (not every berth will be used).