Thoughts on Celebrity vs. HAL after first Celebrity Cruise

ken4556

Princess, Costa (2) and P&O.

HAL has an option for a 2nd Pinnacle Class ship that will be executed, I think it'll be finished in later 2018 or early 2019.

Actually P&O AUSTRALIA which is even more odd...

They've always gotten the "older generation" ships but this is a brand new build and close to twice the size of their next largest...

I have done only two Celebrity cruises vs some 19 or 20 cruises on HAL. I think that Celebrity and HAL are actually more alike than they are different. Celebrity's focus tends to be more on the ship and ship experience, and HAL's focus is more outward, to the ocean. I love spending lots of time on HAL's outside decks, especially the wrap-around promenade. I like to walk at least a couple miles a day if possible on the prom deck, and enjoy looking for wildlife or at the scenery while I do so. I loved the grass lawn on top of the Celebrity Solstice; that was my favorite place to be on that ship.

The suite life on Celebrity is very luxe, and there is more of a "caste" system on their ships, from top suites like Penthouse and Royal, to the Celebrity and Sky suites, to the Aqua Spa cabins, the Concierge cabins, and then finally the standard cabins. HAL is more egalitarian; everybody gets the same food and service, regardless of cabin category, and there are fewer exclusive suite venues/amenities on HAL compared to Celebrity.

The Solstice-class ships are very beautiful and impressive, and also very spacious and well-laid out. The suites are gorgeously appointed, much nicer than on HAL.

I would say that food and service are comparable between the two lines, and there is more live musical entertainment on Celebrity. I love that passenger cabins are accessible upon boarding on HAL, and also that on HAL I can spend disembarkation morning enjoying room service in the privacy of my cabin. I have had good enrichment speakers on both lines.

The passenger component is almost identical, but I realize that demographics can vary depending on length of cruise, itinerary, and time of year. I would say that Celebrity cruisers drink more than HAL passengers, in my limited experience (which is neither criticism nor praise, merely an observation). I have never been bothered by smokers on HAL, but I used to be a flight attendant in the era when smoking was permitted on board the aircraft, and the smoking I've encountered on a cruise ship is NOTHING compared to a plane load of passengers all puffing away simultaneously in that confined space.

My personal perspective only.:)

Middle aged mom, I love that you say the focus is to the ocean. That really is a great statement. It's no secret that entertainment is not Hal's strong suit. I rarely see any shows and I don't feel like I'm missing anything. I'd rather be outside with a glass of wine given that it's winter here 8 months of the year. I'd take that over any ventriloquist (hate them), comedian or ice skating show.

Middle aged mom, I love that you say the focus is to the ocean. That really is a great statement. It's no secret that entertainment is not Hal's strong suit. I rarely see any shows and I don't feel like I'm missing anything. I'd rather be outside with a glass of wine given that it's winter here 8 months of the year. I'd take that over any ventriloquist (hate them), comedian or ice skating show.

I could not possibly agree more! And I really do enjoy the promenade deck especially as it is so close to the ocean.

Have no desire to be on the newer type of of many ships that are designed to nudge folks inside to the bars with overly loud music that we really don't care for.

As an old sailor, a cruise is about being back on the ocean and enjoying the warmth of the Caribbean. All else comes in second at best.

We have done both lines and find each had their merits. I like the decor of HAL's ships better more traditional. I also think HAL has much more unique itineraries. I do like X's smoking policy better but also miss the promenade deck.

We have tried to appreciate Celebrity but a couple of things get on the way.

We found on the Solstice that the crew was challenged to manage the number of passengers so a couple of times they had huge lines. Once even in the rain.

The second thing is dining room management. We have done fixed and open seating and they had problems with both.

I would give them another chance but my wife has had it with them. Too bad in a way. I loved the free drink package!!

IMO, for a Caribbean vacation where the sole purpose is to get away from the northeastern winter, relax, and be treated well - then its a Celebrity Solstice class ship without a doubt!

But, for a more interesting sightseeing itinerary where the ship is a means of cabin and transportation, then HAL is a strong contender. I'm looking at Med cruises now, and HAL has Celebrity beat with itineraries beyond the standard Barcelona to Venice and Greek Isles/Turkey runs.

I enjoyed your post.

In the end we are very fortunate that cruise lines have similarities but many differences.

I also find that overtime our tastes can change when it comes to cruise line as they do to other things from clothing, to automobiles to dining.

Thanks for taking the time to share your observations.

Keith

IMO, for a Caribbean vacation where the sole purpose is to get away from the northeastern winter, relax, and be treated well - then its a Celebrity Solstice class ship without a doubt!

But, for a more interesting sightseeing itinerary where the ship is a means of cabin and transportation, then HAL is a strong contender.

Agree

Celebrity's focus tends to be more on the ship and ship experience, and HAL's focus is more outward, to the ocean. I love spending lots of time on HAL's outside decks, especially the wrap-around promenade. I loved the grass lawn on top of the Celebrity Solstice; that was my favorite place to be on that ship.

The suite life on Celebrity is very luxe, and there is more of a "caste" system on their ships, from top suites like Penthouse and Royal, to the Celebrity and Sky suites, to the Aqua Spa cabins, the Concierge cabins, and then finally the standard cabins. HAL is more egalitarian; everybody gets the same food and service, regardless of cabin category, and there are fewer exclusive suite venues/amenities on HAL compared to Celebrity.

The Solstice-class ships are very beautiful and impressive, and also very spacious and well-laid out. The suites are gorgeously appointed, much nicer than on HAL.

I would say that food and service are comparable between the two lines, and there is more live musical entertainment on Celebrity. .:)

A very well stated comparison. I agree with everything you have said. Also agree that Celebrity has a much better wine list.

Edited by Jade13

As a 3-star on HAL, you do not get free internet minutes, special check-in line, drink coupons, and free laundry coupons as compared to...Celebrity.

For the biggest thing I liked about Celebrity over HAL was the ship was alive and had a great vibe. From the music to the activities to the vibe on the ship, the ship had life. The Eclipse, in my humble opinion, is much nicer than the HAL ships as it had more entertainment and bar options then the Vista style ships. I also thought the entertainment on Celebrity was of higher quality.

I am not sure HAL is for me anymore. With the changes they have made and direction they are heading, I would choose Celebrity next time even if the HAL cruise was cheaper. I would rather pay extra for a better cruise vacation.

We agree with what you have stated. Our last cruise on HAL was May 2015 on Maasdam. The ship was dead. There was a band stand set up outside the lido cafe but we did not see anyone play there for an entire week. My DH summed it up best, "This ship is boring".

We are boarding the new Koningsdam next year and hoping for a better experience. My understanding is that HAL is using the same designers that Celebrity used for Solstice class and pictures coming out are of a totally modern and updated ship, especially pics of the light and bright MDR with a modern decor. Plus the ships theme is music so anticipating better entertainment.

Edited by Jade13

We agree with what you have stated. Our last cruise on HAL was May 2015 on Maasdam. The ship was dead. There was a band stand set up outside the lido cafe but we did not see anyone play there for an entire week. My DH summed it up best, "This ship is boring".

We are boarding the new Koningsdam next year and hoping for a better experience. My understanding is that HAL is using the same designers that Celebrity used for Solstice class and pictures coming out are of a totally modern and updated ship, especially pics of the light and bright MDR with a modern decor. Plus the ships theme is music so anticipating better entertainment.

Why would you think a new "shell" is going to change the entertainment? I think that would be setting yourself up for disappointment. It's no surprise that I dislike celebrity. I don't keep going back hoping they'll change to having better food and service. I just don't purchase an inferior (to me) product.

Edited by cruz chic

Why would you think a new "shell" is going to change the entertainment? I think that would be setting yourself up for disappointment. It's no surprise that I dislike celebrity. I don't keep going back hoping they'll change to having better food and service. I just don't purchase an inferior (to me) product.

Well, HAL appears to be focusing on inproving the entertainment. I just received the cruise planner yesterday and they show "Music Walk" with three stages including Lincoln Center Stage, B.B. King's Blues Club, and Billboard Onboard. None of them were on our last cruise on Massdam nor Veendam. The theme of the ship is music with both Decor and the naming of the decks per the deck Plans. Take a look.

Well, HAL appears to be focusing on inproving the entertainment. I just received the cruise planner yesterday and they show "Music Walk" with three stages including Lincoln Center Stage, B.B. King's Blues Club, and Billboard Onboard. None of them were on our last cruise on Massdam nor Veendam. The theme of the ship is music with both Decor and the naming of the decks per the deck Plans. Take a look.

Yes I understand that. Stages don't make entertainment better.

Agree with many of the observations and had a wonderful time on the X cruises but have to say, I keep going back to HAL because of the itineraries as rarely go into the Caribbean any more and looking for other adventures. Now if they would just fix their entertainment...

I didn't realize Koningsdam was built to hold the same number of pax as the S-class ships but was actually smaller. .

Where did you get the information that the Koningsdam is actually smaller than the S-class ships? The pictures appear to show a much larger ship, and I can't find the statistics on the HAL website. Also I think I read that the Koningsdam holds around 2,500 passengers.

According to Wiki:

Koningsdam

Class & type: Pinnacle-class cruise ship

Tonnage: 99,500 GT

Capacity: 2,650 passengers

Space to passenger ratio: 37.55

Celebrity Solstice Class (except for Reflection)

Class & type: Solstice-class cruise ship

Tonnage: 121,878 GT

2,850 passengers

Space to passenger ratio: 42.76

Celebrity Reflection

Tonnage: 125,366 GT

3,046 passengers

Space to passenger ratio: 41.16

According to Wiki:

Koningsdam

Class & type: Pinnacle-class cruise ship

Tonnage: 99,500 GT

Capacity: 2,650 passengers

Space to passenger ratio: 37.55

Celebrity Solstice Class (except for Reflection)

Class & type: Solstice-class cruise ship

Tonnage: 121,878 GT

2,850 passengers

Space to passenger ratio: 42.76

Celebrity Reflection

Tonnage: 125,366 GT

3,046 passengers

Space to passenger ratio: 41.16

Saga Cruises Newbuildings due 2019 & 2021

Tonnage: 56,000 GT

999 passengers

Space to passenger ratio: 56.02

Now that is what call as " S P A C E " !!!!!

370 twin occup. cabins, 59 single cabins. All outside and balconies.

Should be a nice ship.

For what it's worth (I have yet to sail HAL), I cruised on the Celebrity Silhouette in 2014 and loved it. The Solstice class ships are stunning. A cool vibe throughout- like a Vegas hotel (in the good sense).

Edited by stickey_mouse

We, as Middle Aged Mom said, agree that (for us) it is all about the ocean, the outdoors and adventure of unusual new places. HAL gives us all of that and we have been to some of the best places to explore with them. Some day we will try Celebrity and see for ourselves, what the differences are.

Based on our very limited experiences on the two lines (2 HAL & 1 Celebrity) I would definitely choose Celebrity for a Caribbean cruise or an itinerary with lots of sea days. We enjoyed our first HAL cruise a lot, but on the second one (to Alaska) we thought the ship was dead as far as on-board activities. Even my then 81 year-old mother was bored! We've also found Celebrity to be a better overall cost since we've been able to book with 1-2-3-Go! promos. The included drink package is a great value to us, and we've had more than enough cabin credit to cover the upgrade from Classic to Premium. Finally, there's the smoking policy of each line. If all other things are equal, that issue will make me vote Celebrity every time!

For a port intensive itinerary I'm far more concerned with ports & port times than I am the ship. I would definitely consider HAL for an itinerary like that. As a matter of fact, we're looking strongly at switching from Celebrity to an Azamara cruise for the Med in 2017, but we probably won't make a final decision until HAL publishes their itineraries.

[quote name=K&RCurt;48632355

We have only sailed on HAL and have been very pleased to date' date=' but our next cruise will be on 'X". It will be interesting to see what differences we experience.[/quote]

This is funny.

We've only cruised Celebrity and have been very pleased to date, but our next cruise will be on HAL. It will be interesting to see what differences we experience!!