First time cruise and we're going to Alaska!

JodiH

Welcome to CruiseCritic. There are many threads on this topic. Northbound vs southbound vs round trip. Princess vs Holland America. Seattle vs Vancouver. In my humble opinion, you can't go wrong with Princess. They do Glacier Bay and have the most experience. Our first cruise was 4 days on land and then 7 days southbound. Loved it.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I know that site can be challenging to learn at first but recommend that you begin b posting on the Alaska Ports Of Call Board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=55

What many people will tell you is that you should first start by figuring out the itinerary to take.

And as part of that figure out if you want to take a pre or post cruise land tour.

If you do want to take the post or pre cruise land program than Celebrity, Princess and Holland are good choices. Most of the voyages with the land program start or end in Seward.

The downside to Celebrity is that they don't sail Glacier Bay and if you can do an itinerary with Glacier Bay I recommend that.

If you prefer to do a R/T there are many options and they either R/T Vancouver or Seattle for 7 day cruises or San Francisco for 12 days cruses.

There are lot of options.

Keith

We are planning our first cruise and have decided on Alaska. Does anyone have any thoughts on the best cruise line to use?

Happy New Year!

Welcome to CC!

Now the answer to your question is it depends on how much money you can or are willing to spend.

We are planning our first cruise and have decided on Alaska. Does anyone have any thoughts on the best cruise line to use?

We are also first time cruisers and are booked on Crown Princess 13 May 2016 return Alaska from Vancouver. only 125 days until we leave New Zealand on our trip of a lifetime.

• 1 month later...

Oh I'm so excited for you!! We have quite the wait ahead of us I'm afraid. I've been looking at Princess as well and lean in that direction mostly for the experience they have. The problem is I start searching them all and find something I like on all of them. Good luck with your cruise!! I'd love to hear all about it!!

For 2016, NCL has a 10 Day glacier bay cruise leaving n September and goes to every main port in Alaska that cruise lines goes to. Or if you want the full Alaskan package, you could try the 14 day round trip. Goes to Hubbard, Sawyer Glacier, and Glacier Bay.

To me, if you want to go to Alaska for a cruise, choose the ports/ itinerary as your first, then the cruise line. I'm really interested in NCL's Itinerary in 2016 for Alaska, but sadly they don't have the same for 2017.

Edited by WaveSplasher

I think I've heard the inside passage is the way to go . . . and I also think that we've decided to hit Glacier Bay. So that really narrows down the itinerary. Which I suppose will also help me to choose a cruise line as some don't go to Glacier Bay.

Our first cruise ever was to Alaska and it was on Celebrity (Century) with a stop at Hubbard glacier. We loved it so much we did the exact same trip the following year (just before Century was sold).

I would recommend you get a Fodor's or Frommer's guidebook on Alaska Ports of Call. They describe the ports, what you'll see in different months, the demographics, culture and policies of each cruise line, etc. This will help you narrow down what you want to see and also what type of ship you want to go on. Although I don't believe any of the huge ships go to Alaska.

Whatever you end up doing, I'm sure you'll love it.

I noticed no one mentioned Carnival-they too go to Glacier Bay, but not on every cruise. We are doing a non round trip, last Carnival cruise of the season, we start in Seattle and get thrown off in Vancouver BC,:rolleyes: so a good chance to visit a Canadian city. I hope you find the right cruise for you.:)