Alaska...Suite vs Mini Suite worth the $$$?

BTwurddle

We are going to book a cabin for a future Alaskan cruise on Princess. This will only be our second time in Alaska and we will most likely be taking the round trip Vancouver featuring Glacier Bay instead of Northbound featuring Glacier Bay and College Fjord. At the current time a mini suite comes in about $900 less than a vista suite per person. This is on the Coral Princess btw. Is it worth the cost for the vista suite for the perks and extra real estate vs the mini suite? This will end up being a special trip and the price of the vista is still within the budget we laid out for the adventure, Im just wondering if any experienced cruisers can advise if a full suite on Princess is worth the extra money? Thanks and happy cruising everyone!

We are going to book a cabin for a future Alaskan cruise on Princess. This will only be our second time in Alaska and we will most likely be taking the round trip Vancouver featuring Glacier Bay instead of Northbound featuring Glacier Bay and College Fjord. At the current time a mini suite comes in about $900 less than a vista suite per person. This is on the Coral Princess btw. Is it worth the cost for the vista suite for the perks and extra real estate vs the mini suite? This will end up being a special trip and the price of the vista is still within the budget we laid out for the adventure, Im just wondering if any experienced cruisers can advise if a full suite on Princess is worth the extra money? Thanks and happy cruising everyone!

The mini has a misleading name. It has no additional perks. It just has an extended area inside near the balcony door to add a sofa. It also has a bath/shower combo. It has a little larger balcony depending on the ship. Its really only about 75-100 sq ft bigger then a regular balcony cabin.

They should not have the word suite in the title. :(

If you can get a good price the suite is worth it imo.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I'm afraid no one else can really say.

Many think anything other than an inside is pure extravagance.

Personally I'm loathe to go above a balcony, just doesn't seem good value to me.

Others won't sail in anything less than a suite.

Princess doesn't do a lot of RT out of Vancouver - so check on this. Most of the time it is RT Seattle or one ways.

I usually book mini suites but have booked everything from insides to suites to Alaska. For $1800, I probably would stick with the Minisuite.

---

Are you possibly doing a B2B on the Coral to get Vancouver to Vancouver or what date is the Coral Princess doing RT Vancouver. Thanks. Usually the Coral Princess does one ways.

Edited by Coral

Are you doing the Coral on a Back to Back (Vancouver to Whittier/Whittier to Vancouver)? Is the $900 per person for all 14 days or per leg of the trip?

Mini-suite:

Sitting Room

Cheap Sparkling Wine upon embarkation

2 televisions

a balcony

Suite:

Complimentary Mini-bar

Suite breakfast every morning

Free Laundry

Larger and very nicely appointed Stateroom

Complimentary first night specialty restaurant dinner

and much much more.

Is it worth it? Only you can make that decision. Excursions for Alaska are very expensive but well worth doing independently or with Princess.

I did 18 days on the Coral (b2b2b) in a balcony. I chose the last cabin in the first bump out section. It was perfect for me with a unique wrap around glass balcony. The Coral is one of the few ships that you can look straight down to the water from the Dolphin Deck if you choose your cabin correctly.

If this was a longer cruise. If there were more sea days. If .... then I would choose a suite.

I should have prefaced that we are Elite on Princess so we receive several perks. As far as the time of year we are looking at the last sailing in September of 2017. Coral and Star both make round trips early in the season and their last sailing north from Vancouver. We considered a northbound but my other half cannot handle the 8 hours plus flying back from Anchorage. When i say he's a bad flier I should include the last time we flew to Seattle I was certain we were going to have to buy United a new first class armrest!

I was just on the Coral in a mini. If it is in our budget, we normally book suites.

The Coral only has 14 suites. When we booked, all the suites were reserved. We asked to be waitlisted-- and we did not clear the waitlist (but stalled at #3).

Personally, I would book the suite. If this ship starts to book, it will be easier to get a mini than to get a suite.

That is just my little ol' opinion!

Did my first suite on Coral Voyage of the Glaciers after a Connoissuer tour on land.

I would do it again in a heartbeat in a suite.

Perks with being able to reserve an anytime table was great,wonderful balcony on the glacier viewing days, afternoon tea in the stateroom,Sabatini breakfast, day of departure full breakfast were wonderful and I could go on and on but highly recommend a suite in Alaska.

If you are doing a southbound Voyage of the Glaciers cruise, I liked the port side suite. Just my opinion though.

I would save the money!! :)

Did my first suite on Coral Voyage of the Glaciers after a Connoissuer tour on land.

I would do it again in a heartbeat in a suite.

Perks with being able to reserve an anytime table was great,wonderful balcony on the glacier viewing days, afternoon tea in the stateroom,Sabatini breakfast, day of departure full breakfast were wonderful and I could go on and on but highly recommend a suite in Alaska.

If you are doing a southbound Voyage of the Glaciers cruise, I liked the port side suite. Just my opinion though.

Hello, Nashville, I'm headed that way today to p/u my son from the airport. Can I ask what was your suite number, thinking of taking my sister on her dream cruise and want to do it right, she basically almost died 6 months ago and now she's doing great and this will be a wonderful trip for her, we will be on the Coral as well, but haven't book anything yet., can I have your email so I can ask you questions about the cruise, mine is askforgiveness@aol.com, I'm from Maryville/Knoxville :)

It is worth it if you like room service. Suite room service, from the dining room menu, is wonderful. Great for seeing the sights from your balcony, while enjoying the food, too.

If room service isn't big for you, then a mini is nice:)

Enjoy Alaska, either way :) :) :)

I could do a lot of excursions for $1800. It is a matter of what matters to you.

I can pay for another cruise with $1800. We can afford to book a suite but we are into value cruising. I would feel as though I had to spend my cruise inside the suite to get the full benefit and use out of it. While the perks sound good, I wouldn't use the laundry, the bath tub, the mini bar (DH would - maybe), or the suite breakfast. So to us, the value isn't there for us.

Compared to suites on Celebrity, Princess does not add much over what a mini-suite has. Unless the suite has a separate sleeping area, the only added benefit is free laundry and a mini-bar. You can have a nice sit down breakfast in the MDR with a mini and you can also make reservations for dinner. For $1800, you can book a specialty every night and have a lot left over for drinks and excursions.