American Express Travelers Checks

j6988

Do not, repeat, do not buy traveler's checks without verifying that your ship still cashes them!

The number of places which no longer take them has accelerated. Even American Express closed all of their storefront offices in 2013. Chase, a huge bank, stopped selling them last November.

If they're difficult to buy imagine what it's like to cash them.

Debit cards and world wide ATMs are rapidly making them obsolete.

I have some old AmEx Traveler's checks from years back. Each time we came home from a trip, we put them aside and never cashed them after stopping using them. I called a local bank after reading this thread and they told me they no longer sell them but they will cash them for me. I'm going to take care of that soon. :)

RCI will easily cash them (no fee) at guest services...have done this many times...but their getting harder to find (purchase) at my local banks. Too bad their a great alternative way to get cash onboard as needed...and a lot easier to travel with JMHO.

I have some old AmEx Traveler's checks from years back. Each time we came home from a trip, we put them aside and never cashed them after stopping using them. I called a local bank after reading this thread and they told me they no longer sell them but they will cash them for me. I'm going to take care of that soon. :)

I used to do the same - I liked having them as a back up reserve, but after Cunard refused to cash them I realized that they were becoming obsolete - too bad, because they were a safe way to carry funds, but with less general acceptability they are no longer as helpful.

I used to do the same - I liked having them as a back up reserve, but after Cunard refused to cash them I realized that they were becoming obsolete - too bad, because they were a safe way to carry funds, but with less general acceptability they are no longer as helpful.

So true. Not being able to cash them is the same as having no money. What is somebody to do if only a handful of banks in the locale will still cash them but it's a Friday night? The American Express community web site is full of complaints where customers have found their own list of participating banks to be outdated. (Yet Amex still touts them as "protecting your vacation"!)

We had a thread last summer where somebody asked where he could still buy them and some replies didn't believe that buying and cashing traveler's checks could be a problem. If somebody always bought them at their bank and always cashed them on the ship I could see they they might think that way. But most hotel chains don't take them, nor do shops and restaurants in port, and major banks like Chase have stopped selling them.

It pays to be aware of changing trends. A past experience of using a traveler's check to pay for a private tour in Cairo in 2008 isn't relevant to its usefulness today.

Edited by BlueRiband