Somewhat interesting/odd question about booking an unborn baby...

amandajean06

So, I am 7+ months pregnant and would like to go ahead and book our cruise for May 2017. I don't know the name, SSN, or gender of coming baby. We have one other son who will also be cruising with us, and our plan is to do two connecting cabins. Do I have to wait until this baby is born to book? Or is there any way to go ahead and book now and add their specifics later? Thank you! Sorry for the weirdness of this question, ha ha.

Is there any reason you need to book this far out??

I understand you are eager but it doesn't make sense to me at all!

I'd wait until the baby is born and you are feeling perfectly well and know it is OK to travel.

If they want two connecting cabins they have to book early.

OP, I believe that information can be added at a later date but you can call your PVP to be on the safe side.

That's not a bad question. I would suggest that you either contact Carnival directly and ask that question or get a good travel agent and let him/her get the answer.

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Western Caribbean, Ruby Princess 2015 Alaska, Caribbean Princess 2015 Western Caribbean

Our Son and Daughter-in-Law just did this. You do have to provide the baby's name when you make the reservation. All the other information can be added later.

If you provide a name at the time you book that turns out to be different than the actual name when you sail then you would have to do a name change. Name changes are not permitted with some fares and may incur a penalty with other fares, so is not something to take lightly.

I know that I have seen people talk about this same issue here in the past. There was a way to make the reservation for the un-named baby. Keep searching and maybe someone with the right info will come by and post. You could always give Carnival a call and ask them about it.

My sister did this, her son was listed as TBD if I'm not mistaken. Even if you gave a name and then had to change when you called in to give the pertinent info, they wouldn't charge you. It's no different than fixing a misspelling, it's the same person!

To the OP, you can do as other have suggested and just book your son into the connecting cabin and have the newborn listed as TBD (to be determined), HOWEVER, do not book Early Saver if doing this option. That rate does not allow for name changes. BTW, do not let ANYONE tell you that you must have an adult in each cabin. If the cabins are connecting, you can have parents in one cabin and children in another, kind of like having a 2 room hotel suite.

To the OP, you can do as other have suggested and just book your son into the connecting cabin and have the newborn listed as TBD (to be determined), HOWEVER, do not book Early Saver if doing this option. That rate does not allow for name changes. BTW, do not let ANYONE tell you that you must have an adult in each cabin. If the cabins are connecting, you can have parents in one cabin and children in another, kind of like having a 2 room hotel suite.

If only one adult wants Cheers then book a parent/child in each cabin.

Thank you, everyone, so much for the helpful replies! I just sent my PVP a quick email, and he said that it was no problem to go ahead and book and then add the baby's info later? I would hope he knows what he's talking about.

Regarding the adult in each cabin, I was under the impression that was the rule (one adult in each room with a child)! If it isn't, then am I right to assume that the only advantage of doing it that way would be so we don't both have to buy Cheers? Any perks of having my husband and I together and the kids together otherwise?

I booked yesterday for my unborn son. We did the Early Saver First Dibs promo, so we did have to provide a name. Luckily, we have this figured out already. The Carnival rep assured me multiple times that I will be allowed to update the birth date after our son is born. He did put a note in for me as well, to help my anxiety lol

I booked yesterday for my unborn son. We did the Early Saver First Dibs promo, so we did have to provide a name. Luckily, we have this figured out already. The Carnival rep assured me multiple times that I will be allowed to update the birth date after our son is born. He did put a note in for me as well, to help my anxiety lol

Congrats and yay for you! We like to be surprised as far as gender goes, so there is no way for us to do Early Saver I guess...

Congrats and yay for you! We like to be surprised as far as gender goes, so there is no way for us to do Early Saver I guess...

LoL I guess this is another benefit of having convinced my husband to find out the gender. He wanted to be team green!

After we booked, I told my husband that we are LOCKED IN to the baby's name now. No name changes with Early Saver!!

Good luck with both the rest of your pregnancy and your cruise!

I am wondering if you are over-thinking this?

We are cruising with my sister. She booked an early saver balcony as a solo. She knew she would be adding a second passenger but wasn't sure who the person would be at the time she booked. She paid 2x fare plus one "port fees & taxes". When she knew for sure the name of the person accompanying her, she called our PVP and added the person. The 2x fare stayed the same, the only increase was an additional port fees & taxes. There were no "name changes", thus no extra fees incurred for this change on the early saver booking.

Also, agree with the suggestion to split the adults into cabin 1 and 2 so that you can buy ONE drink package for the adult in cabin 1 who is accompanied by a minor who obviously wouldn't qualify for an alcoholic drink pkg.

~Denise

PS, congrats on your blessing :)

I am wondering if you are over-thinking this?

We are cruising with my sister. She booked an early saver balcony as a solo. She knew she would be adding a second passenger but wasn't sure who the person would be at the time she booked. She paid 2x fare plus one "port fees & taxes". When she knew for sure the name of the person accompanying her, she called our PVP and added the person. The 2x fare stayed the same, the only increase was an additional port fees & taxes. There were no "name changes", thus no extra fees incurred for this change on the early saver booking.

Also, agree with the suggestion to split the adults into cabin 1 and 2 so that you can buy ONE drink package for the adult in cabin 1 who is accompanied by a minor who obviously wouldn't qualify for an alcoholic drink pkg.

~Denise

PS, congrats on your blessing :)

Thank you Denise! I had no idea you could even book someone "TBD" so that might be why I was over-thinking it. Sounds like the early saver is still an option, then. Thanks for your input.

Thank you, everyone, so much for the helpful replies! I just sent my PVP a quick email, and he said that it was no problem to go ahead and book and then add the baby's info later? I would hope he knows what he's talking about.

Regarding the adult in each cabin, I was under the impression that was the rule (one adult in each room with a child)! If it isn't, then am I right to assume that the only advantage of doing it that way would be so we don't both have to buy Cheers? Any perks of having my husband and I together and the kids together otherwise?

You don't have to have one adult booked in each cabin as long as the kids' cabin is next to yours or directly across the hall, and no balcony cabin is allowed (for the 12 and under kids).

"Guests 12 and younger

If the relative or guardian insists on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony cabin without a relative or guardian."

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2544/~/minor-guest-policy

Your PVP will cross-reference your cabins/bookings in the computer system.

Have a great cruise!

Name change, as long as it is not a 'person change' is not a problem. I booked a cruise online using Last Call Early Saver, and although I was booking for 2, it didn't give me the option to enter the name of the second person. So they gave us the same last name. So they gave my sister my last name, and her first initial. When I tried to do online checkin, it wouldn't let me fix the name (because that's when I discovered it). But a call to Customer Service fixed it without pain or cost. EM

is there any reason you need to book this far out??

I understand you are eager but it doesn't make sense to me at all!

I'd wait until the baby is born and you are feeling perfectly well and know it is ok to travel.

wow-you are very helpful

I like the idea of being able to book an un named/ unborn baby. I am trying for another baby and booking another cruise in 1 year exactly, so the information is good to know, if I end up in the same situation. I hope that if I do conceive that I will be able to travel. I am worried I might have to reschedule if I conceive ASAP, but its doubtful. I know its terrible but its the truth AND we havent booked yet.

Congrats on the baby !!

My other son was 4 when we took him and now hes addicted

Yes, you can book 'baby' ahead of time, or you can book 1 adult in each room, and your other child with either of you...the capacity for each room would be 2.

The advantage to booking an adult in each is:

1. Cheers Package pricing (one drinks, the other does not).

2. Past Guest pricing (unless your other child is also a past guest).

Hopefully your PVP will book you into the cabins and fare category that will assist you the most :)

Best wishes on a smooth delivery and healthy baby ! Come back and let us know who he or she is :D