Dinner for 12 people

EmsMom

We are taking our children and grandchildren on a 10 night Panama Canal cruise next December. My TA says that we can only get tables for 8 in the dining room which would mean that 4 of us would have to sit at a different table which kind of defeats the purpose of taking a family cruise. Has anyone had any experience with taking a large group and how did you handle the dining limitations? We are also in a suite but the others have mini suites. Lastly, on Princess do you have to pay for the excursions when you sign up for them or do you pay when you are on board? This is our second Princess cruise but we did private excursions on or other cruise.

You can reserve excursions pre-cruise but they are added to you account onboard. As for the dining room, there are not tables for 12. You can get a 4 top and 8 top next to each other and have people swap seats during the cruise. EM

We were on the Star Princess with a group of 12. We all sat at the same table. They have huge pieces of plywood that they place on the table to accommodate large groups. In fact, there was a second table for 12 in the MDR that cruise.

Cheers, Denise

One of the biggest issues with having a table for 10 or 12 is the impacted service on your table and the other tables in the waitstaff's section. Each waitstaff has a certain number of people to wait on, when there are more, service becomes very slow. Which is understandable as they can carry just so many plates at a time. Expect to have very long dinners which if you're all friends and adults is fine but if there are children, could be a problem.

Something else to consider is that the table is very large and round and it'll be a lot more difficult to talk to everyone at the table. You will most likely be able to talk to only the people near you.

When you board, go to the Maitre d' with everyone's names and cabin numbers and ask for his help. He may or may not be able to accommodate you as he would have to both change the size of your table and possibly the other 2-3 tables in your waitstaff's section.

We have done 2 cruises with our children/grandchildren. Our last family cruise (2014) included 9 children ages 3 - 16. We sat at 3 tables (Traditional Dining) grouped together in a corner. It was perfect for us. We learned quickly that we needed to have some type of food immediately on the table for the younger kiddies. The waiters were wonderful and always had some bread, fruit, fries etc. on the tables while we perused the menus. I made a trip to the Dollar Store before our cruise and got lots of little games they could play while they waited for our meals and desserts. They loved it because I had a different game for them every night. (You know the one where you have the little tiny metal ball that has to go in the hole)? No electronics allowed at the table, my rule. It was great and we didn't have a single meltdown during dinner.

Another fun thing that we did that the kids still talk about is, every grandchild was presented with a crisp $10 bill. They were to purchase the BEST souvenir they could find and at the end of the cruise we would have a contest where they would present their purchase and why they liked it etc. Did you know there is a Salvation Army or is it a Goodwill in Ketchikan? One of our grandkids got a great wooden fire truck there. (It was meaningful because his Dad is a firefighter/medic). Another granddaughter bought a beautiful apothecary jar at an antique store in Juneau.

You will have a wonderful time and create the BEST memories. Our grandchildren still talk about our cruises and ask "when is the next one?"

I would not select a table for 12 even if you can get it. The table will be so large you will only be able to speak with the person next to you.It will also be difficult for the waiter to serve such a large group. I have seen large families sit at at tables next to each other and switch around each day. I have also seen all the children at one table and adults at another. The largest tables are probably 8 or 10.

Regarding tours you can book them on line in the cruise personilizer, when available, and the cost will be added to your on board account. You also have the option of pre-paying, but it is not required.

Edited by sknight

I have been very interested to read these comments.

About 2 years ago we did the kids and grandkids thing (10 of us altogether) on Rhapsody of the Seas (Yes I know it is RCI) and we had a rectangular table for the 10 of us every night for dinner. Conversation was not at all difficult, keeping in mind it is family and not as if you have to carry on serious conversations The waiters were absolutely marvellous, particularly towards the kids (ages 13 down to 4) and we could not fault the service we received. Everyone one of us commented on just how great we were looked after. That has been the only RCI cruise I have taken with all others being with Princess but I am sure Princess will be able to look after you.:)

Really depends on the shape of the table. We had 13 at a round 14top. Horrible as we couldn't take to anyone but our immediate neighbors without shouting.

High occupancy rectangular tables are fine if your seated in the middle, hard to hear if your at the end.

Liked Princess's oval table that the 10 of us had on the Golden.

Really depends on the shape of the table. We had 13 at a round 14top. Horrible as we couldn't take to anyone but our immediate neighbors without shouting.

High occupancy rectangular tables are fine if your seated in the middle, hard to hear if your at the end.

Liked Princess's oval table that the 10 of us had on the Golden.

Except that people sitting at the ends of the oval table are squashed for table space. I got stuck there once, never again.

We are taking our children and grandchildren on a 10 night Panama Canal cruise next December. My TA says that we can only get tables for 8 in the dining room which would mean that 4 of us would have to sit at a different table which kind of defeats the purpose of taking a family cruise. Has anyone had any experience with taking a large group and how did you handle the dining limitations? We are also in a suite but the others have mini suites. Lastly, on Princess do you have to pay for the excursions when you sign up for them or do you pay when you are on board? This is our second Princess cruise but we did private excursions on or other cruise.

I just finished a cruise where there were twelve of us. In fact there were two tables that have 12. Our waiter just served our table and the other waiter just served the other table. We had no problems with communicating. Your TA should check before making that statement. I have also been on cruises with Princess where there were 10 of us.

I've had a table for 10 and everything went well. Our waiters were excellent and no issues that we were aware of for other tables near us. On one other cruise, we got two smaller tables next to each other. We would switch off tables day to day so we could share time with different people in a smaller setting. That worked out fine, too.