Nice Hotel in Venice

johncandt

We are on Constellation on Sept 29 2016 we are staying 3 nights in Venice and would like a not too expensive hotel or B/B , i have seen one that a friend has recommended which is $875 for 3 nights , looking at prices they vary a great deal prefer to use one that has been visited and liked , cheers John .. Trish Craven.UK

We enjoyed the Hilton Molino Stucky on Guidecca Island. It is an old building that was transformed into a fancy hotel, and it has its own free shuttle to Saint Mark's. I don't know how it compares on price, because we have been able to use Hilton points.

If you haven't been to Venice before I would recommend you go to the Ports Of Call board here and read some posts. Venice presents a completely different set of circumstances to consider when deciding where to stay. Nothing is cheap there. Know what you're getting into before making a choice. Transportation to and from your hotel is a major consideration. Good luck. It's an experience.

We enjoyed the Hilton Molino Stucky on Guidecca Island. It is an old building that was transformed into a fancy hotel, and it has its own free shuttle to Saint Mark's. I don't know how it compares on price, because we have been able to use Hilton points.

It is wonderful! It was a flour mill before. Rooftop pool! Wonderful views! Wonderful restaurant. In the AM get the yogurt Kir that's in a glass jar. Best yogurt ever.

If you are looking for something both easy and nice the Best Western has a property near the cruiseport, on the canals and within walking distance of both trains and airport shuttle buses. 250 year old building with either canal or courtyard views and a GREAT breakfast. Also a couple of glasses of wine usually included.

It is wonderful! It was a flour mill before. Rooftop pool! Wonderful views! Wonderful restaurant. In the AM get the yogurt Kir that's in a glass jar. Best yogurt ever.

Loved that Hilton

Funny, I remember that yogurt too

Wish I could find it here in USA

We are on Constellation on Sept 29 2016 we are staying 3 nights in Venice and would like a not too expensive hotel or B/B , i have seen one that a friend has recommended which is $875 for 3 nights , looking at prices they vary a great deal prefer to use one that has been visited and liked , cheers John .. Trish Craven.UK

A LOT of things to consider with hotels in Venice...

First off, think about where you want to be, the expense and difficulty of getting there and the convenience.

I've been to Venice several times...and I've stayed in both of what I would consider the prime locations: 1) Piazza San Marco and 2) Piazzalle Roma...I'll quickly discuss those.

P. San Marco is the square which contains the Cathedral, the Doge's Palace and other prime tourist attractions. Hotels in the area surrounding P. San Marco are convenient for sightseeing--once you get there. The difficulty is in getting from airport to hotel and hotel to ship with luggage. Your main choices are to either take an expensive water taxi to and fro, to take an Alilaguna or ATV shuttle boat or to get to P. Roma by bus and then try to navigate the Vaporetti (public bus/boats) with your luggage. And, to get to any specific hotel depends on the precise location--and may include some dragging your luggage up and down some small bridges.

P. Roma is the main transportation hub of Venice. It is very easy and cheap to get to--You can catch a cheap public airport bus directly from the Airport to P. Roma...and, to get from P. Roma to the cruise terminal, there is an easy "Peoplemover" for 1 Euro per person (price last time we visited). It's a little less glamorous than P. San Marco, but, once you are there and checked in and your luggage is safely in your room, getting everywhere on the island is easy either by foot or by Vaporetti...

There are a few reasonable hotels in the P. Roma area, including the BW Olimpia, the Santa Chiara and the Del Doge...Fairly close are a few slightly more expensive places--the Papadopoli and the Carlton (which also has the lower priced Capri off the Grand Canal--I've stayed in both)...

If you'd prefer to stay in the P. San Marco area, there are some pricey places, but also some less pricey. Last time we stayed there, we were at the Anastasia--which was a nice little 17 room boutique hotel off on a side street...There is also the Violin d'Oro around the corner from it near the Gondola station which is supposed to be nice--and reasonable--as well...Again, my main problem with these were the logistics in getting to and from...

Good luck...

A LOT of things to consider with hotels in Venice...

First off, think about where you want to be, the expense and difficulty of getting there and the convenience.

I've been to Venice several times...and I've stayed in both of what I would consider the prime locations: 1) Piazza San Marco and 2) Piazzalle Roma...I'll quickly discuss those.

P. San Marco is the square which contains the Cathedral, the Doge's Palace and other prime tourist attractions. Hotels in the area surrounding P. San Marco are convenient for sightseeing--once you get there. The difficulty is in getting from airport to hotel and hotel to ship with luggage. Your main choices are to either take an expensive water taxi to and fro, to take an Alilaguna or ATV shuttle boat or to get to P. Roma by bus and then try to navigate the Vaporetti (public bus/boats) with your luggage. And, to get to any specific hotel depends on the precise location--and may include some dragging your luggage up and down some small bridges.

P. Roma is the main transportation hub of Venice. It is very easy and cheap to get to--You can catch a cheap public airport bus directly from the Airport to P. Roma...and, to get from P. Roma to the cruise terminal, there is an easy "Peoplemover" for 1 Euro per person (price last time we visited). It's a little less glamorous than P. San Marco, but, once you are there and checked in and your luggage is safely in your room, getting everywhere on the island is easy either by foot or by Vaporetti...

There are a few reasonable hotels in the P. Roma area, including the BW Olimpia, the Santa Chiara and the Del Doge...Fairly close are a few slightly more expensive places--the Papadopoli and the Carlton (which also has the lower priced Capri off the Grand Canal--I've stayed in both)...

If you'd prefer to stay in the P. San Marco area, there are some pricey places, but also some less pricey. Last time we stayed there, we were at the Anastasia--which was a nice little 17 room boutique hotel off on a side street...There is also the Violin d'Oro around the corner from it near the Gondola station which is supposed to be nice--and reasonable--as well...Again, my main problem with these were the logistics in getting to and from...

Good luck...

We've only been there once and stayed at the Hotel Santa Chiara, for the reasons above. It was one bridge from the train station and next to a parking lot where you could catch a land taxi to the airport (or the cheaper shuttle). You really take land for granted until you try to get around there with cruise luggage.

It is an old hotel, but cool. We had brocade walls, crystal chandeliers, older furniture - not a modern hotel. We loved it there. We had a view of the Grand Canal from our room and got to watch the tourists trying to drag their luggage up over the bridge (as we had done earlier). They were extremely friendly at the hotel and there were many good restaurants close by. There was a water taxi stop nearby, as well as the People Mover to the cruise ships. We would definitely stay there again.

We hired a tour guide to do a 2 hour walking tour from our hotel to local neighborhoods, markets, P San Marco, etc. and then she took us on a private water taxi for an hour and we saw the city from the water. It was an amazing tour. Absolutely loved Venice and can't wait to go back!

This past September we stayed in Hotel Colombina right off St Marks Square on the Canal. Beautiful Hotel where you can arrive and walk into the hotel lobby from the water. We took a water taxi from the train station. Easy walking to everything shopping and restaurants and all the sights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We stay at

http://www.westineuropareginavenice.com

Friends have stayed at the Gritti Palace and loved it. Worth a look?

Reccomended to us

http://www.palazzinag.com

http://mobile.locandaorseolo.com

We've only been there once and stayed at the Hotel Santa Chiara, for the reasons above. It was one bridge from the train station and next to a parking lot where you could catch a land taxi to the airport (or the cheaper shuttle). You really take land for granted until you try to get around there with cruise luggage.

It is an old hotel, but cool. We had brocade walls, crystal chandeliers, older furniture - not a modern hotel. We loved it there. We had a view of the Grand Canal from our room and got to watch the tourists trying to drag their luggage up over the bridge (as we had done earlier). They were extremely friendly at the hotel and there were many good restaurants close by. There was a water taxi stop nearby, as well as the People Mover to the cruise ships. We would definitely stay there again.

We hired a tour guide to do a 2 hour walking tour from our hotel to local neighborhoods, markets, P San Marco, etc. and then she took us on a private water taxi for an hour and we saw the city from the water. It was an amazing tour. Absolutely loved Venice and can't wait to go back!

Do you have the name of the company that you took this tour with?

We are going on a B2B in sept/oct and are going to spend a few days and this tours sounds wonderful.

Do you have the name of the company that you took this tour with?

We are going on a B2B in sept/oct and are going to spend a few days and this tours sounds wonderful.

The name of the company was Discovering Venice: http://www.discoveringvenice.com

Our guide was Antonella. She was originally from Canada, if I remember correctly, so spoke English as a first language. I believe she is married to a Venecian orthopedic surgeon and has lived in Venice for many years.

Enjoy Venice - I hope we can go back!

We too stayed at the Santa Chiara. It was so close to walk to? We took the bus from the airport. When we arrived in Venice the hotel was across the parking lot. It is situated near a stop. This was the view out of our window. There is a grocery store down the walkway near the vapoertto stop where we purchased cheese and bread for a small lunch out. The hotel had a substantial breakfast buffet.

image.jpg.d237323e4a4872b0668d841fc0af2699.jpg

if you can't easily manage your luggage over bridges and on the vaporetto, you may want to stay near the Piazzale Roma. P Roma is the last point of travel in Venice so it's where buses, cars, taxis drop off their passengers. And a taxi can take you to the pier in 5 minutes.

There are 2 hotels at PRoma so a taxi can drop you at the door (Ca Doge , Santa Chiara). If you can manage one small bridge there 4 or 5 hotels closeby (Best Western Olimpia, Arlecchino, Sofitel ..... ).

If you need an elevator, be sure to inquire.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/bridges/piazzale-roma.htm

This past September we stayed in Hotel Colombina right off St Marks Square on the Canal. Beautiful Hotel where you can arrive and walk into the hotel lobby from the water. We took a water taxi from the train station. Easy walking to everything shopping and restaurants and all the sights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Second vote for Hotel Columbina. It's a small boutique hotel. Loved everything about it. Get a room with a view. ImageUploadedByForums1452772962.074062.jpg.81e48f364059b5422f994d5ea7973837.jpg

I can give you two places to avoid!

Hotel Carlton on the Grand and Hotel Bellini... now here is why. When we were in Venice we booked the Carlton almost a year in advance of our stay. We were staying one night post cruise and I specifically looked for somewhere we could easily walk with our luggage to Piazzale Roma. The Calrton bumped our reservation along with 4 others and moved us to Bellini... which was across the Grand Canal and now meant we had to cross two HUGE walking bridges to get our luggage to PR.

We were told Bellini was a comparable hotel and I cannot possibly see how it could be. No A/C in August, room was smaller than the inside cabin we had for two weeks on the Regal, no bar, no pool and was really outdated. Judging by the lobby of the Carlton (as this is all we ever got to see) and the pictures online.... Bellini was half if not less as nice. Never got a refund and it was clear that the Carlton really didn't care where we ended up.

Otherwise Venice was great, the rest of our 12 day was amazing.