No Embarkation Lunch in the MDR

lastlook

I recall a discussion in recent months as to whether or not this was going to be continued. Just thought I'd report that on our Maasdam cruise last week, there was NO embarkation lunch in the Main Dining Room. I went there to be sure and there wasn't one. Choices were the Lido or the Dive In. Very disappointing to those of us who enjoy a nice sit down lunch in the Main Dining Room on embarkation day.

Maybe there was a special luncheon for a group?

That has happened to us a few times.

No - both levels of the Main Dining Room were empty (I looked) and I spoke with the man at the podium who confirmed that they were not having one. Instead, they were having a "champagne" toast for Mariners between 1:00 and 2:00 p.m. We did not attend since we were eating at the Dive In during that time.

HAL is active in philanthropic activities and there are times there could be an event hosted by HAL in MDR so the embarkation lunch is not offered on that cruise. Perhaps that was on your cruise?

How was your cruise? Did you enjoy? Hope you'll share some other comments about it with us. :)

Edited by sail7seas

That would be disappointing. There's nothing like a nice sit down lunch--does not have to be fancy--in the MDR after all the traveling; line-ups; security; lugging a suitcase and carry-on; making sure documents are accessible; etc. It just made all those travel hassles disappear.

HAL is active in philanthropic activities and there are times there could be an event hosted by HAL in MDR so the embarkation lunch is not offered on that cruise. Perhaps that was on your cruise?

How was your cruise? Did you enjoy? Hope you'll share some other comments about it with us. :)

No private function there either - both levels of the dining room were empty and it was obvious that they were not preparing for a private function either. The place was dead.

Unfortunately, I have to say that this cruise was our least favorite. We had meals in all of the venues, and all were disappointing (food quality was not great and often things were either over cooked or under cooked or just plain cold.)

I don't know if part of the problem was that the ship was headed for dry dock following our cruise, but I just feel like HAL is really slipping.

I always complete the survey after our cruises, and have mentioned these issues. On a positive note, we had two great cabin stewards as well as a lovely day at Half Moon Cay.

That would be disappointing. There's nothing like a nice sit down lunch--does not have to be fancy--in the MDR after all the traveling; line-ups; security; lugging a suitcase and carry-on; making sure documents are accessible; etc. It just made all those travel hassles disappear.

Exactly......

Well said!

We don't mind the Lido for lunch on most days, but on the first day the embarkation lunch was a sort of signal that it was time to relax.

That's so disappointing. One of the world cruisers reported that the MDR wasn't open for lunch when they embarked. I know some people love going to tie cafeteria for lunch but I'm not one if them. Hal is closing down the MDR more and more. Cheap champagne and snacks don't make up for it (embarkation cocktail party).

We had a sit-down lunch on embarkation day in mid-December. It was not only open to Mariners, but to everyone. Typical menu, and was very nice. We always have our last breakfast in the MDR, so lunch there always gives me the feeling that I've never left.

No embankment lunch for us on Amsterdam for the "holiday" cruise, but what was worse was that on both Christmas and New Year's we were in port! Dining room was closed both days.

So for Christmas dinner (the noon meal which most families have on Christmas) we dined on Nathan's hot dogs! Later that evening a turkey dinner/supper was served at the regular time. Believe me it wasn't worth waiting for.

Too bad.

We really like to have a glass of wine with lunch in the MDR for embarkation. Not quite the same feeling in the Lido!

I wonder what this (latest) cutback is in favor of: not to save on food, so the service and cooks, to give the them time off because the Lido does not require as many of each? Or.....?

One of the things I have always looked forward to most (after that "aaaahhhh" feeling when you first set foot on the deck:D) is lunch in the MDR, being waited on, having a glass of wine, talking with table-mates, and feeling my cruise has finally begun. I guess our routine will change in future as no way do I want the crowds and noise of the Lido Buffet.

One of the things I have always looked forward to most (after that "aaaahhhh" feeling when you first set foot on the deck:D) is lunch in the MDR, being waited on, having a glass of wine, talking with table-mates, and feeling my cruise has finally begun. I guess our routine will change in future as no way do I want the crowds and noise of the Lido Buffet.

Lizzie68,

Just read your quote to my DH!

He agrees with you, and our next cruise just might be our last for awhile. We have plans on checking out Oceania, and others. We loved that aaaaahhhhh feeling once on board and relaxing in the MDR with a fine glass of wine!

We will be on The Eurodam in Oct, and will do embarkation have a cocktail, and go back into Venice for a wonderful lunch and enjoy the ambiance instead of the crowds at the lido!

Denise :)

Lizzie68,

Just read your quote to my DH!

He agrees with you, and our next cruise just might be our last for awhile. We have plans on checking out Oceania, and others. We loved that aaaaahhhhh feeling once on board and relaxing in the MDR with a fine glass of wine!

We will be on The Eurodam in Oct, and will do embarkation have a cocktail, and go back into Venice for a wonderful lunch and enjoy the ambiance instead of the crowds at the lido!

Denise :)

Yes, yes, for sure.

Lunch on the ship? OR

Lunch in Venice?

Is there any question? :D :D

Of course, go ashore and spend as much time as possible in Venice. One of my favorite places on earth.