Oceania vs. Azamara - Confused

AllisonJames

I am trying to choose between Oceania and Azamara, Baltic cruise Aug 2018. I am traveling with my 13 year old. I have read reviews that the food is better on Azamara but wonder if the selection would be limited because it is about half the size in number of passengers. Azamara is running a special and all the lower cost rooms on Oceania are sold out so I am comparing veranda rooms at the same price. It is just me and my 13 yo and I just drink wine. I have to make a decision to get the deal on Azamara. Any specific comments on food would be appreciated.

I would compare the itineraries. The food is somewhat better on Oceania but I think you would have a better time with your son on Azamara. Also, Oceania has two size ships, The Oceania Marina has 1250 people and the Nautica has 684 people and is the same as the Azamara ships.

Edited by TERRIER1

I am trying to choose between Oceania and Azamara, Baltic cruise Aug 2018. I am traveling with my 13 year old. I have read reviews that the food is better on Azamara but wonder if the selection would be limited because it is about half the size in number of passengers. Azamara is running a special and all the lower cost rooms on Oceania are sold out so I am comparing veranda rooms at the same price. It is just me and my 13 yo and I just drink wine. I have to make a decision to get the deal on Azamara. Any specific comments on food would be appreciated.

IMHO if you're taking a 13 year old on a Baltic cruise, book a Princess or Celebrity cruise where there will be plenty for him to do and other teenagers for him to do it with. Oceania and Azamara's claim to fame is that they focus on adult entertainment rather than on families. If you're worried about the quality of food, you can probably book a Princess Club Suite or an X Sky Suite for roughly the same price as a veranda on either O or AZ. Again, that's just my humble opinion.

You may be a bit confused. If you read a post about "better food," it had to be Oceania

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I haven't been on Azamara yet but I agree that most people say food is better on Oceania.

BUT taking a 13 year old on Oceania depends on the 13 year old. Is he used to dealing with adults? Touring museums? That sort of thing?

Oceania does not have programs for children on most cruises. I don't know about AZ in that respect.

I would have been very happy on Oceania when I was 13. But not all young teens would.

Just for your consideration ...

Mura

We went on Oceania and Azamara last year and agree that the food is better on Oceania. But Oceania is quieter and more sedate. The White Night Party is a real plus for Azamara. I think that your son might enjoy Azamara better.

And we did not care for the white night event. We considered it a negative. Hokey and contrived.

Just our opinion.

I haven't been on Azamara yet but I agree that most people say food is better on Oceania.

BUT taking a 13 year old on Oceania depends on the 13 year old. Is he used to dealing with adults? Touring museums? That sort of thing?

Oceania does not have programs for children on most cruises. I don't know about AZ in that respect.

I would have been very happy on Oceania when I was 13. But not all young teens would.

Just for your consideration ...

Mura

I have been on both O and Azamara. The cabins are close to the same (same types of ship). I found the food to be equal but I am not that fond of the long drawn out dinner so mostly eat in MDR. I would not think that a 13 year old would find much they would like on board (one reason I like it). There is a small pool. Some art classes and lectures on sea days. Interesting ports but all shore excursions are elder scholar more or less. If parents are willing to DIY and find a faster pace might do right with kid. Most problem would be no other kids. People would treat the youngster nicely (most, well some!) but they would not be a peer or friend. On the 2018 world cruise there is one child but parents are home schooling and will modify and they say child is used to adults. My DGD at 13 would have HATED it.

And we did not care for the white night event. We considered it a negative. Hokey and contrived.

Just our opinion.

I thought the White Night party OK but would have probably preferred the MDR -- food on deck is basically fancy BARBQ and there was a wait at times. The AmaZing Evening on shore was good (but I only heard about it as I was on cabin lock down for the day). Basically variations on the theme rather than a distinction between the 2. Lots depends on the cruise director/captain/fellow guests. I would consider both lines interchangeable. OOPS my opinion of course -- my loyalty is to cruising and locations and ship size over exact line.

Hello, I started this thread so thought I would weigh in on this recent conversation. Turns out, we loved AZ and have now been on two AZ cruises summer 2016 and summer 2017. Had to cancel the planned Oceania cruise due to a work conflict so haven’t been on O yet but we did just do the AZ Baltic cruise in August and were amazed at the crowds and the number of ships doing it at the time, all levels of lines from mass market to luxury — we saw SS, Viking and NCL over and over in the various ports. Do your 12 year old son a favor and don’t take him on AZ, there was only two children on our cruise, an infant and a boy around 8. Take him where he will meet other kids and have facilities and programs to enjoy on the ship. When my kids were that age, they loved RCL, Princess and NCL. Azamara is just not a cruise for children or teens. I wouldn’t even take my young adult children on it they would be bored.

Oceania tends to be less expensive off the gate so for us (we are not big drinkers) that is an advantage.

Itineraries are by far the most important consideration to us so we decide on a sailing to sailing basis.

Cruisethree, We were on the Azamara Journey in August for a 12 night Baltic cruise. We have also done a 7 night Med cruise on the Marina in 2014. To date, the Azamara cruise was the best cruise we have experienced. We really liked the itinerary and how close in we docked while the larger ships had to dock further away from the downtown areas. We had an overnight in Copenhagen, three days in St. Petersburg and an overnight in Stockholm before disembarking in addition to the other daily ports of call.

Food is subjective and I'd say that both AZ and O are similar. The O specialty restaurants are included while the AZ ones are at a small charge. On AZ wine is included for free at any restaurant or bar any time they're open. Food wise, I doubt you'll be disappointed on either cruise line.

As far as size, I liked the intimacy of the R class ship. If the price is right and the itinerary is the one you want, I say go for it and form your own opinion.

We're there now. The O air credit was $1200 per person. Add prestige pkg at $60/person/day. Throw in O Life perks and the math easily works out in favor of Oceania. And we haven't even considered the difference in food quality.

What is the prestige package?

I have sailed on both Oceania and Azamara. They both do a nice cruise. The O ships built by Oceania are truly luxurious. The R ships which both Azamara and Oceania sail are not as good as the O ships. R ships have smaller cabins and tiny bathrooms. Love Marina. Cabins are very large. Bathrooms are big with a separate shower and a tub. Everyone gets thick towels and Bvlgari toiletries. Each time that I sailed on Azamara, the toiletries were different. I am not a drinker. When Azamara went to drinks included, the fare went up. Also, on Azamara, there are people who drink too much. I prefer selling drinks separately. Azamara includes tips. Oceania adds tips to your bill. You pay them either way. Specialty restaurants are included on Oceania. Oceania has outstanding food. On Azamara, you pay extra unless you are in a suite. Both have self service laundry rooms. Azamara is free. Oceania( non suite) charges $2 for a load for a wash or dry. Having sailed on both lines and both types of ships, what is my choice? Marina or Riviera

I have sailed on both Oceania and Azamara. They both do a nice cruise. The O ships built by Oceania are truly luxurious. The R ships which both Azamara and Oceania sail are not as good as the O ships. R ships have smaller cabins and tiny bathrooms. Love Marina. Cabins are very large. Bathrooms are big with a separate shower and a tub. Everyone gets thick towels and Bvlgari toiletries. Each time that I sailed on Azamara, the toiletries were different. I am not a drinker. When Azamara went to drinks included, the fare went up. Also, on Azamara, there are people who drink too much. I prefer selling drinks separately. Azamara includes tips. Oceania adds tips to your bill. You pay them either way. Specialty restaurants are included on Oceania. Oceania has outstanding food. On Azamara, you pay extra unless you are in a suite. Both have self service laundry rooms. Azamara is free. Oceania( non suite) charges $2 for a load for a wash or dry. Having sailed on both lines and both types of ships, what is my choice? Marina or Riviera

After doing many cruises with Azamara, I have never experienced people drinking too much. We are booked on Oceania Sirena and I am sure we will enjoy it. Maybe also a difference is that gratuities are included in Azamara cruises. Oceania charges US 16 per person per night. This seems to be the highest gratuities charged on similar ships. Am I wrong?

if you find the right TA some include Gratuities on O cruises

shop around

My TA has them. When I was looking at a cruise she said, let me see if O is offering gratuities for that cruise. Apparently larger O volume TA's get that perk to pass along while not being offered to the general public on O's web site.

Or if you deal with an O rep, perhaps you could negotiate they throw in gratuities to book.

My TA has them. When I was looking at a cruise she said, let me see if O is offering gratuities for that cruise. Apparently larger O volume TA's get that perk to pass along while not being offered to the general public on O's web site.

Or if you deal with an O rep, perhaps you could negotiate they throw in gratuities to book.

I use a large online cruise discounter but not as much advertised as some. She is just the best in service and gets me what I want even if it is more work for her (rebooking or booking as a group for "group of individuals". I usually get gratuities plus O life plus internet and usually a check when we get home for part of commission. Not sure how she does it but it is always cheaper than what I find for myself. I always do my own flights and hotels directly with the supplier. Except for cruise I want to be customer of the provider (hotel/rentalcar agency/airline) without anybody between us (3rd party). Lois is my wonder agent and I give her name out on every cruise I take. I think that my family members have probably booked 40 cruises with her and all have been positive. Ask your friends who cruise or on a cruise who they use. The right agent is a blessing.

Edited by Bowie MeMe

I use a large online cruise discounter but not as much advertised as some. She is just the best in service and gets me what I want even if it is more work for her (rebooking or booking as a group for "group of individuals". I usually get gratuities plus O life plus internet and usually a check when we get home for part of commission. Not sure how she does it but it is always cheaper than what I find for myself. I always do my own flights and hotels directly with the supplier. Except for cruise I want to be customer of the provider (hotel/rentalcar agency/airline) without anybody between us (3rd party). Lois is my wonder agent and I give her name out on every cruise I take. I think that my family members have probably booked 40 cruises with her and all have been positive. Ask your friends who cruise or on a cruise who they use. The right agent is a blessing.

You're right. It's amazing what different TAs will give as perks if you either book or transfer a cruise to them. For example we were on our first amazing O cruise on the Riviera and were sitting at a table in one of their specialty restaurants with two other couples. We started a discussion about what we paid for our 10 day Caribbean Cruise in a veranda. We thought we got a good deal, after being upgraded to an A1, at $2,500 pp booking directly through an O PCC. Then the couple to our left mentioned they booked their B3 cabin at the last minute through their TA for $2,000 pp and got $800 in OBC. Then the mother and daughter to the right mentioned they paid $4,100 pp for their upgrade A1 cabin and had to pay their TA $50 to book the cruise.

We now have 20 cruises under our belt and agree with you that finding a good TA can be very beneficial!

if you find the right TA some include Gratuities on O cruises

shop around

Unfortunately not many options where we live. Our TA is good, quick and reliable. This means a lot to us. But gratuities are not a perk from her.

We always pay gratuities but first time 16 US pp per day? Why? Does Oceania pay its employees less and this is why we as passengers, have to compensate? Or is the service above average?

Unfortunately not many options where we live. Our TA is good, quick and reliable. This means a lot to us. But gratuities are not a perk from her.

We always pay gratuities but first time 16 US pp per day? Why? Does Oceania pay its employees less and this is why we as passengers, have to compensate? Or is the service above average?

I know on most other cruise lines, except for maybe Crystal, the stewards and waiters get very little in the way of salary other than room and board and rely heavily of their cut of the gratuities and, additionally, any extra given by guests at the end of the cruise..

As far as TAs go if you shop around and call some of the big box TAs, you might find that some give pretty good deals if you either book with them or transfer a cruise to them that you booked directly with the cruise line.