Abbreviation Usage

Tom O.

I have been a member of Cruise Critic for some time, but only recently started posting in the Holland America Forum. When I started reading all the posts here, one thing I was very confused with, was all the abbreviations used by posters. Other forums use abbreviations too, but some of these new ones were unique to this forum.

I really wish there was a sticky with a glossary of all the commonly used abbreviations on this forum. Lacking that, I will list a few that I have finally translated. Maybe someone can add some more.

Here goes:

HAL = Holland America Line.

CC = Cruise Critic (This website or a member of this website).

OP = Original poster. (The one who started the current thread)

TA = Travel Agent

HSC = Hotel Service Charge (HAL's term for auto-tips charged per person per day).

MDR = Main Dining Room.

PG = Pinnacle Grill extra cost restaurant.

PS = Pinnacle Suite (top of the line suite)

NS = Neptune Suite (second to top of the line)

SS = Signature Suite (third to top of the line)

VS = Vista Suite (smallest of the suites equivalent to mini-suite on other lines)

OV = Ocean view stateroom (has a window, but no balcony) or

Obstructed View stateroom. (An Ocean View room that has something in the way of the view, such as a life boat) - I have seen OV used both ways.

NA = Nieuw Amsterdam cruise ship

That is all I can think of right now, let me know if my description of the suites is not right. I can never afford one, so my knowledge is limited.

Once upon a time there was a Sticky thread that grew quite long with abbreviations used here and in cell phone texting, but in a clean-up it and some other useful/popular stickies got pitched.

This gets discussed regularly- one of the issues with your list is that "TA" can mean Travel Agent, or Trans Atlantic (cruise).
And for that reason I usually say T-A for Trans-Atlantic just because most people use TA for travel agent.

Edited by jtl513

This gets discussed regularly- one of the issues with your list is that "TA" can mean Travel Agent, or Trans Atlantic (cruise).

Yes I have seen TA used for Trans Atlantic. I forgot about that. I am sure there are many others missing from my list.

I did do a search to see if there were any threads on this subject. I could not find any, and I have not seen anything on this since I have been participating.

It would be mainly to the advantage of newbies to have a sticky with an abbreviation glossary. Most of the veterans of this forum are quite used to this shorthand.

It would be mainly to the advantage of newbies to have a sticky with an abbreviation glossary. Most of the veterans of this forum are quite used to this shorthand.

The last thing the Holland America forum needs is another sticky. It was finally down to a reasonable amount, then BAM! back up to 11, mostly useless, stickies again. It's back down, but still has more than are needed.

If any newbie can't get the meaning from the context, they can ask the veterans of this forum, and any number of them will be happy to answer.

I have never been fond of abbreviations, particularly in forums because it id far too easy to misunderstand when they mean and it makes it feel like a club f you don't know the lingo. I tend to skip posts that are a bunch of alphabet soup rather than real words.

We are not limited in characters in our posts so the need to shorten things is not as great. It's not difficult to type things out, especially if it would be difficult for the un-initiated to figure out what you mean without asking. Just because you know what you are posting does not mean everyone does. And many people, myself included, will not take the time to look up what abbreviations mean.

I have never been fond of abbreviations, particularly in forums because it id far too easy to misunderstand when they mean and it makes it feel like a club f you don't know the lingo. I tend to skip posts that are a bunch of alphabet soup rather than real words.

We are not limited in characters in our posts so the need to shorten things is not as great. It's not difficult to type things out, especially if it would be difficult for the un-initiated to figure out what you mean without asking. Just because you know what you are posting does not mean everyone does. And many people, myself included, will not take the time to look up what abbreviations mean.

It doesn't bother me when people abbreviate. I do it all the time. What I don't like is people that write a reply 6 inches long. It's just to much verbiage and I get turned off.

I really wish there was a sticky with a glossary of all the commonly used abbreviations on this forum.

Oh please no! There used to be one, it got longer and longer and ended up having a rather inappropriate abbreviation that had nothing to do with cruising. And, we really don't need more stickies.:(

It doesn't bother me when people abbreviate. I do it all the time. What I don't like is people that write a reply 6 inches long. It's just to much verbiage and I get turned off.

I tend to agree with Cruz Chic.. I use acronyms (abbreviations) only because I was in the airline business & we had to reduce our teletype messages.. These acronyms have been in use for many years on all phases of the internet..

There was a WEB site devoted to on-line acronyms & Text Messaging Shorthand at NETLINGO.COM.. They are commonly seen wherever people get online--including instant messaging, cell phones, PDAs, Web sites, in newsgroup postings, and on blogs-to communicate with each other..

Try using "Ctrl F" or "Apple F" to type in the acronym and "find" what you're looking for. Note: "C" and "S" are used interchangeably for "See" --and-- "U" and "Y" are used interchangeably for "You"

Edited by serendipity1499

I agree with ellieann. I think it's just lazy writing. I also wish that posters would use spell check before they post. I might be being pedantic but I think that it is just respectful to the other members of this forum. I think we should raise the bar instead.

I agree with ellieann. I think it's just lazy writing. I also wish that posters would use spell check before they post. I might be being pedantic but I think that it is just respectful to the other members of this forum. I think we should raise the bar instead.

I don't see the use of common acronyms as anything but a time saver. Would you rather type United Parcel Service or UPS? Using an abbreviation for something used repeatedly like OBC for On Board Credit isn't lazy, it's efficient.

Blizzard Boy, of course I am not talking about those kinds of acronyms. They have their place and are efficient as well. That very long list of abbreviations posted above is what I am referring to (and you know that). It's actually quite elitist as ellieanne mentioned as well and quite frankly, I'm disappointed at the quality of posts made. I am not talking about second language users. I know the difference.

Blizzard Boy, of course I am not talking about those kinds of acronyms. They have their place and are efficient as well. That very long list of abbreviations posted above is what I am referring to (and you know that).
So where do you draw the line between those that "have their place and are efficient" and those that are "lazy"? I'd say that no two people will agree. IMHO. :D

So where do you draw the line between those that "have their place and are efficient" and those that are "lazy"? I'd say that no two people will agree. IMHO. :D

If I said that we agree that no two people will agree, is that a redundant oxymoron? Where's an English or Philosophy professor when you need one?

I agree that some shortcuts get tedious, but about 75% of that list is comprised of acronyms that are extremely common on this forum, which would seem to move them into that every day usage category like UPS or NCAA. No matter what group of people, whether technical, sports, military, or whatever, jargon or acronyms designed to speed everyday activities and correspondence proliferate. Why would you expect CC (oops! Cruise Critic) posters to be any different?