Walk off vs standard disembarkment

mrsgthatsme

My husband and I accumulated points (over the past couple of years) on our MileagePlus Explorer card and naturally, I wanted to apply those points to our airline ticket purchases to and from Ft. Lauderdale for our upcoming cruise. I didn't realize until recently that I might have been "safer" choosing a later, afternoon flight time out of Ft. Lauderdale airport on the day of disembarkation. As it is, our flight departs at 10:10am. Changing our flight now to a later flight would cost us around $684. So, I called Princess and the rep said we should use the "Express Walkoff" option (once onboard we'd need to make these arrangements). She didn't think we'd encounter any problems-although there are exceptions-and mentioned that the airport is "just around the corner" from the port. Our ship docks at 6am and we wouldn't hesitate to leave the ship at 6:05 if we could-even if it meant we'd be sitting at the airport for several hours until our flight time. We need to make that flight! But I checked the U.S. Customs website and it states their hours are 8am-12. Has anyone out there gone through customs any earlier at Port Everglades? Thank you!!

Customs actually has to "clear" the ship before anyone can be allowed off. As soon as they finish that process they set up their stations where the passengers walk thru. Yes, that is well before 8. I haven't ever done it as early as 6, but I did at 7.

Princess cannot let anyone off the ship until the Customs agents are in place and ready to do their job. So if Princess has opened the "big door," they are waiting for you.

The idea of needing a "reason" to do self disembarkation is just silly. Everyone has a reason, even if that reason is "we don't want to risk our luggage getting crushed" or "we don't want to have to locate our luggage in the terminal." The point is that those people doing self disembarkation need to do it when they are scheduled, just as everyone else must follow the schedule. Do that and the disembarkation process runs smoothly. Deviate from the schedule and we all have problems!

Edited by moki'smommy

We will be on the Regal in Feb. We are driving (not flying) and will not do walk off with our luggage. What time (roughly) should we think we will be leaving the ship?

It depends on what you request. Any time from about 7:30 to about 11 or 11:30 would be normal. You'll get your assigned time in your cabin a day or two before the end of the cruise, and your time is chosen by your entry on the personalizer. If you don't like what you are assigned, go to GS and tell them what you want.

I have this issue myself, though for apparently selfish reasons.:)

We're spending the next day in Lauderdale so disembark timing isn't important. However, I'm not a fan of waiting in a long line for customs. When we have walked off, customs was a breeze with a very minimal line. My impression is that the line is sizable as the morning wears on. If this is still true, and I have little reason to think otherwise, I suspect we'll do the walkoff vs "checking" our bags. Still not sure since I'm cool with relaxing on the ship a bit more. We're weighing with relaxing somewhere on the ship vs waiting in the customs line.

Yeah, I guess I'd be bucking the system if we do the walk-off. But then again, we're hauling our bags off ourselves.

So according to the above post....I can go to my Personalizer and enter the time I want to leave the ship? Where in My Personalizer?

You can not do it in your Personalizer anywhere. A few days before the end of the cruise you will get a package that explains the process. There will be a form to fill out that you can use to request a particular time including walk off with luggage.

Edited by Potstech

Wow, I never expected to be judged and called selfish by clueless individuals because I prefer to walk off with my own bags. We choose express walk-off, not due to the time, but because it's easier for us. I can assure those who weren't there and feel that they have the right to judge, that we didn't inconvenience anyone.

Every trip we self debark and the gathering areas are filled with people toting large luggage. We're pushing/dragging 4 large and haven't ran over any insensitive people yet. We do it to get off as early as possible and start our 20 hr drive North. I assume many of the early folks are likewise. Ignore the keyboard warriors.

I gather that 6:45 was the designated time for those who signed up for express walk off to report to the assigned waiting area. Some ships stagger the walk-off times, some require all to report early. Either way for anyone who does not need to be one of the first ones off to sign up for self-disembarkation is very selfish IMHO. It has never taken me more that a minute and a half to find my bags in the terminal--how flippin' difficult is it to simply request the color tags for the time you wish to disembark and then put your bags in the hall after dinner the night before? All the ships know that most people who sign up for express walk-off do so just to buck the system; it should be mandatory to document a legitimate need to be one of the first ones off the ship, or else prohibited to bring full-size cases in the dining areas or lounges disembarkation morning, with penalty of confiscation until last persons are off the ship. [/rant]

We have never done self-embarkation and really don't plan to. I tend to over pack so there's no way I could take care of a week's or two-week's worth of clothing/stuff. But also we're not going to mess it up for those who choose to book too early of a flight. Most of our cruises have been from our home port so either we're just driving (or being driven) home. So no hurry there just to get home and get caught up on mail, laundry, cleaning.

And the other times, we've tried to schedule a post-cruise stay as we usually don't have vacations every year. So no hurry just to get to our hotel ahead of others.

And usually by the time we get to the baggage claim, if we have a later time, much of the bags have been claimed which makes it less chaotic for us to find ours.

It depends on what you request. Any time from about 7:30 to about 11 or 11:30 would be normal. You'll get your assigned time in your cabin a day or two before the end of the cruise' date=' and your time is chosen by your entry on the personalizer. If you don't like what you are assigned, go to GS and tell them what you want.[/quote']

Nope, Moki. You should have typed 10 to 10:30. Princess wants the ship cleared by 10:30 or so. They gather and walk off/on the B2B's around 10:15 to 10:30. There are no disembark groups left after 10:30am. (I think most posters are talking about Port Everglades, but likely west coast is similar timing).

Edited by steelers36

I have only been through disembarkation once before, and it was on another cruise line and years and years ago (more than 20). I do not have fond memories of that day...at all.

We are taking a Southbound Alaska cruise ending in Vancouver in early June 2017. I don't want a repeat of our NYC disembarkation, so I think we'll stay at least a day in Vancouver. However, most hotels don't allow check in until the mid afternoon. My mom will probably have a walker with her, so her lugging a suitcase is out of the question. I can lug mine but not hers too. What's the best way to avoid terrible memories?

We are new to Princess and wondering about the pros and cons of doing walk off disembarkment. We will be on the Emerald from Port Everglades and our flight leaves at 11:45. What would be the advantages and disadvantages of doing it each way? Thanks!

I would not want to carry my luggage off the ship. Kind of a pain. I always have one bag, as we put the bags out the night before.

You should pay for ship transfers to ensure you get to your flight on time. Too late, but I would not have booked a flight that early. I've missed flights before and it's a pain (for me, heading back to the West Coast).

Good luck and if you pack light, then walk off is no problem. If you pack a lot, then it's a hassle for you, and you get in everyone's way (and I'm saying that with a smile).

I've not done easy check as it's been years since we've done a cruise not from our home port. That's what I would do to avoid the hassle. Going out of FLL in 2017, so will most certainly do that there.

Edited by jennybenny

I gather that 6:45 was the designated time for those who signed up for express walk off to report to the assigned waiting area. Some ships stagger the walk-off times, some require all to report early. Either way for anyone who does not need to be one of the first ones off to sign up for self-disembarkation is very selfish IMHO. It has never taken me more that a minute and a half to find my bags in the terminal--how flippin' difficult is it to simply request the color tags for the time you wish to disembark and then put your bags in the hall after dinner the night before? All the ships know that most people who sign up for express walk-off do so just to buck the system; it should be mandatory to document a legitimate need to be one of the first ones off the ship, or else prohibited to bring full-size cases in the dining areas or lounges disembarkation morning, with penalty of confiscation until last persons are off the ship. [/rant]

Wow, ….So let me get the straight…i am selfish and bucking the system

because i participate in a Princess sponsored program and follow their guidelines…the hundreds of people (the "scrum of people" as you described earlier) who participate in this Princess sponsored program reduce the workload of hard working Princess employees by not having to move several hundred pieces of luggage. What part of that is selfish?

As long as they are following the rules and guidelines…the reasons why passengers participate in this Princess sponsored program really isn't my or anybody else's business. IMHO

The EZ Check program is really great. Putting your bags out the night before and meeting them at your final destination is wonderful. The $20 per bag charge is worth it.

:D

Don't bring so much needless stuff on the cruise & you wouldn't have to pay extra to have it shipped. :p

This has been my experience in many cruises. After waiting too long for an elevator with no reason to think the crowds will get less, we have had to use the stairs. Pulling my luggage down the gangway is not an issue. Taking my luggage down the stairs is an issue.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

It has never taken me more that a minute and a half to find my bags in the terminal--how flippin' difficult is it to simply request the color tags for the time you wish to disembark and then put your bags in the hall after dinner the night before?

On one cruise, my bag was placed in the wrong color section.

That took about 1/2 hour to find, as we had to search the

entire place. And, we had 2 people from princess helping.

Princess offers walk off. People are welcome to use it,

despite the CC-Police.

We love to walk-off on our own and do it whenever possible. (Love not having to put our luggage outside of the door.)

If you do walk-off, be sure to keep 1 hand free. That is the only way they will let you on the escalator. Otherwise they will make you take the elevator and there probably will be a wait and a line for the elevator. Dh and I usually have a bag over our shoulder and pull our rolling luggage with the same arm. (Or, a second shoulder bag for the other arm, but one hand must be free.) A backpack comes in handy if you think you will have something else to carry off.

Edited by metairiegal

No one cares why people choose the option they do.

Here's the nub. If you sign up for walk-off and get a time of 7:00 AM but you choose to disembark at 9:00 am, yes, you are bucking Princess' system, which is why they gave you 7:00 am to begin with and yes you are affecting other passengers. Period. Maybe the effect is minimal, maybe not depending on how many other people do the same things. Is that a selfish behavior (again, specifically the time issue)? In my book, if you know the potential impact, yes, it is a bit.

Walk-ing off is not selfish. Picking walk-off and deciding assigned time doesn't apply to you? Yes, at least a little. I classify it in the same behavior pattern as chair hogs, TDs who show up at AD, seat savers in the theatre, etc. Is it a big deal? No. Does it affect other pax's cruise experience. Yes, it certainly can.

If Princess offers the Express Walkoff, then we are going to take advantage of that simply because we need to be at the airport for a mid-morning departure. Yes, I very much regret that I did not book a later flight-my error. But we still have to go through Customs, and I was getting a little nervous that we'd miss our flight due to any holdups there. Whatever time Princess tells us to get off the ship will be the time we will get off the ship! I don't intend to hold up or inconvenience any other passengers and as long as Princess offers the walkoff option, then we are taking it.

Don't bring so much needless stuff on the cruise & you wouldn't have to pay extra to have it shipped. :p

And who gets to devide what "needless stuff" is that you are talking about? Definitely not you. Who said anything about "shipping" something? I guess you do not understand EZ Check at all.

Edited by Potstech

This has been my experience in many cruises. After waiting too long for an elevator with no reason to think the crowds will get less, we have had to use the stairs. Pulling my luggage down the gangway is not an issue. Taking my luggage down the stairs is an issue.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Now, there is a little secret we use (we usually only pack with carry on luggage but don't even like to drag that up or down the stairs) -- but I will let it out as long as you mention it to nobody else.

Ever notice how everyone uses the middle elevators at disembarkation? I can assure you that the front and back elevators have much less traffic but keep in mind that on some ships, you cannot get down to the disembarkation level with these elevators, though. Princess aft elevators on the Grand Class comes to mind.

However, if you are on one of the middle decks trying to get down to a lower deck -- get onto one of the elevators going up to secure your spot in the car. It will eventually go back down.

Well, I fear my secret is now out ... oh well, I only use that tactic about 4 times a year so guess I could share it with others.

Just since we are all commenting on it -- my vote on the self disembarkation controversy is that it is NOT a scam being perpetrated on anyone. Nobody should tell others how much or how little they should pack and a need to get off at a certain time is certainly nobody's business but their own.

BTW -- I do love that $20 service to take your bag to the airport for you....and certainly not because I pack too much stuff. I just like to feel spoiled for a few more hours and am willing to pay a small price for it. Also, I think you would be fine with an 11:45 flight time. While things can happen, they probably won't and it is a reasonable expectation that you will get there in plenty of time.

Love the comment about 'keyboard warriors' -- that is classic!

I have only been through disembarkation once before, and it was on another cruise line and years and years ago (more than 20). I do not have fond memories of that day...at all.

We are taking a Southbound Alaska cruise ending in Vancouver in early June 2017. I don't want a repeat of our NYC disembarkation, so I think we'll stay at least a day in Vancouver. However, most hotels don't allow check in until the mid afternoon. My mom will probably have a walker with her, so her lugging a suitcase is out of the question. I can lug mine but not hers too. What's the best way to avoid terrible memories?

You will NOT be allowed to do self-disembarkation unless you can manage all your own bags (at Canada Place they also demand that you have one hand free to hold the escalator rail, or they send you to the elevator they use for wheelchair pax which is a huge bottleneck when busy - depending how steady your mum is this might be required anyway).

Since you plan to stay an extra day I'd keep it simple - use the regular disembarkation process, requesting a later slot (disembarking after 9am). That lets you have a leisurely breakfast at about 8am, avoid all the luggage blocking aisles in dining rooms since all the self-disembark groups will have already left, and the queues will have died down a bit at customs/immigration. There will also be fewer bags in the holding area, making it easier to spot yours.

Use a luggage cart (complimentary) to get your bags to the taxi rank and take a cab right to your hotel - anywhere downtown will cost $10 or less, we're a very compact city. Never found any hotel unwilling to store your bags if your room isn't ready - in cruise season most hotels are pretty full so odds are your room won't be available until at least noon, but all hotels are quite used to cruisers rolling off the ship early and wanting to drop bags off.

Figure out some nice things for you and your mum to enjoy during the day, then come back to the hotel mid-afternoon for check-in.

And who gets to devide what "needless stuff" is that you are talking about? Definitely not you. Who said anything about "shipping" something? I guess you do not understand EZ Check at all.

EZ Check=shipping.

Simple= don't take so much junk, carry a smaller suitcase & there's no need to pay extra to have it "shipped" via EZ Check.

You will NOT be allowed to do self-disembarkation unless you can manage all your own bags (at Canada Place they also demand that you have one hand free to hold the escalator rail, or they send you to the elevator they use for wheelchair pax which is a huge bottleneck when busy - depending how steady your mum is this might be required anyway).

Since you plan to stay an extra day I'd keep it simple - use the regular disembarkation process, requesting a later slot (disembarking after 9am). That lets you have a leisurely breakfast at about 8am, avoid all the luggage blocking aisles in dining rooms since all the self-disembark groups will have already left, and the queues will have died down a bit at customs/immigration. There will also be fewer bags in the holding area, making it easier to spot yours.

Use a luggage cart (complimentary) to get your bags to the taxi rank and take a cab right to your hotel - anywhere downtown will cost $10 or less, we're a very compact city. Never found any hotel unwilling to store your bags if your room isn't ready - in cruise season most hotels are pretty full so odds are your room won't be available until at least noon, but all hotels are quite used to cruisers rolling off the ship early and wanting to drop bags off.

Figure out some nice things for you and your mum to enjoy during the day, then come back to the hotel mid-afternoon for check-in.

Totally agree EXCEPT that the Customs lines may not have lessened at all. We were on a cruise that had MANY non-US citizens and the lines were very long. The non-US lines had become so long that those passengers were being sent to the "US citizen" lines, which made all the lines move slowly. We were probably in line for an hour although I can't say that I looked at my watch at the start.

EZ Check=shipping.

Simple= don't take so much junk, carry a smaller suitcase & there's no need to pay extra to have it "shipped" via EZ Check.

EZ Check =Having the ship handle your bags and check you in for you flight which results in getting your boarding pass while on the ship and not having to mess with your bags when debarking. By your definition any bag sent be air is shipping if someone pays a fee. You have a much different idea of what shipping is than most people. So whomare you to tell people how to travel or how they spend their money.

Edited by Potstech

EZ Check=shipping.

Luggage Valet would be shipping.

All EZ Check does is eliminate the steps of claiming your bags after disembarking and checking them at the airport (with the added benefit of printing your boarding pass for you the night before).

No correlation with how little or how much one packs.

Most of those who use it consider the $20 per person well spent--those who reflexively consider any for-fee option overpriced, won't.